Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
bamt wrote:
I preferred that to taking the chauffeured Merc service that people at my grade were supposed to use for travel within the UK.

For real? Shocked

Yep. Always preferred being out in the world on two wheels to sitting in a box. That's why I had a bike permanently left in Sweden for when I popped over. Similarly I prefer to stay in a hotel room with a kitchen so I can cook for myself rather than eat out (on expenses) every evening.

Pete. wrote:
Only loaded my premium about 2-odd quid for business use 1 so not really worth the ag of going under-insured.

I found that too - I don't think it actually made any difference to mine. Certainly not enough to worry about. I guess it'd make a difference if it was for carrying goods (specifically excluded), and I only carry "personal" work kit on the bike - like my laptop and notepads. If there's anything else I grab a hire car to avoid any possible hassle.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:50 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - if the company is trying to project a certain image and you have to look smart, then don't turn up on a bike and change in the street. Offices have windows, you will be seen, word will get back to your boss.

One option is one-piece textile suit that is really quick to put on/take off. They are available with zips up the legs, which makes it easy. Still not ideal.

Do you have to turn up looking smart? I also work in a professional environment and have to visit clients often, but I just wear jeans to work. Started a few years ago to see if I could get away with it, and no-one has ever said anything. Some of the clients have a "no suit" rule, because it spooks the engineers.

All that said, if you have to turn up looking smart and project a company image, take the car or the train.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Pete. wrote:
Only loaded my premium about 2-odd quid for business use 1 so not really worth the ag of going under-insured.

I found that too - I don't think it actually made any difference to mine. Certainly not enough to worry about. I guess it'd make a difference if it was for carrying goods (specifically excluded), and I only carry "personal" work kit on the bike - like my laptop and notepads. If there's anything else I grab a hire car to avoid any possible hassle.

Sorry, typo meant to say 20-odd quid. Still not the end of the world.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
... Some of the clients have a "no suit" rule, because it spooks the engineers.

Laughing Laughing

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm not judging on if you should ride to the office, or if it looks out of place or wrong, hell no! I personally would find it a pain to suit and de-suit every day at work, and I imagine summer is worse than winter if you insist on wearing protective gear, of which I would myself if I was commuting into and out of cities every day mixed with busy A-roads and motorways etc.

As you said plenty of cyclists do it every day too, and seem happy enough with the situation. You office people though in your big corporate towers probably have a big advantage though, as you often have showers, nice clean washrooms and secure storage/cloakrooms, not to mention often posh kitchen and dining areas/canteens or staff rooms to make changing and warming yourself up with a hot drink much easier. Laughing

It wouldn't be quite as much fun changing in the back of a cold filthy transit on a muddy building site. And sitting on a generator splashed in petrol to get changed and having all your kit bag and bike gear bashed around and covered in dirt.

Correct on all points. Push bike or motorbike. Wouldn't do it if I didn't have the facilities. Probably why I haven't changed jobs in 15 years! Still, a lot of employers are catching on to providing facilities for employees.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear trousers and shirt under an RST Trac-tec evo textile suit and store it all under the seat and in the back box on the Burgman including the helmet.
Trousers and shirt don't look creased when I take the suit off.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:19 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

maybe im just a fatass but how do you guys who wear suit trousers not manage to rip the crotch area riding a motorbike? thankfully i can wear kevlar jeans to work and a polo

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:49 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny fit trousers are the enemy. I've killed a few badly cut pairs of primark jeans when I've been wearing them under textiles. On the few occasions I have worn suit trousers under my textiles they've been ok, but I don't find it amazingly comfortable.

For me it's Tractec Evo textile unless it's really hot, then mesh. Mesh + waterproof overs works better than zip in waterprooof liners, which in my experience are warm but don't cover as much area of the jacket as built-in liners, leaving me with wet underwear.

Do the topbox. It's so much better for suit jackets.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:02 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: trousers. It is difficult when wearing two layers, as lower layer will drop down, thus split.

Pull the buggers up high = no ripping.

Even for fat asses.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be an odd ball.

I wear suit trousers under my textile jeans, shirt and tie and a jumper (weather dependant) under my jacket. Just turn up, remove jeans and jacket and I'm good to go. Just have to carry shoes in my backpack or leave them at work.

Never looks creased or messy.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
I must be an odd ball.

I wear suit trousers under my textile jeans, shirt and tie and a jumper (weather dependant) under my jacket. Just turn up, remove jeans and jacket and I'm good to go. Just have to carry shoes in my backpack or leave them at work.

Never looks creased or messy.

Same.

Add / remove an extra layer over jumper of waterproof golf jacket if really cold weather.

I use the top box for tools.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Skinny fit trousers are the enemy.

How pleased I am not that the current fashion seems to be towards skinny.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current place is smart business attire, but they’re cool with folk changing after they arrive. As mentioned above it’s the cyclists that help make it acceptable to turn up dressed like a penis, so no one ever bats an eyelid at me in motorcycle gear.

I wear my work shirt under my textiles and keep suit and shoes at work to change into. In the summer I’ll sometimes wear a t-shirt and change into shirt after cooling down. I’ve never liked wearing trousers under textiles, but have done when practical. Saves exposing your Batman underpants at the side of the road.

I have a top box that I leave my helmet in so I use that for storing textiles when visiting other sites. I just work for one customer now so the policy is simple. Business attire in offices and whatever the hell you like in the data centres. However I used to have different customers with a variety of dress codes. I’ve also worked in places that have suit bans, however they tended to have the worst kind of inverse snobbery. You had to dress casual, but it had to be the right casual. Your jeans cost under £200? How do you live with yourself? Etc….

When I went through a period of lots of interviews a while back I would use the CB500 with both top box and 36 litre side cases. Then I could wear full kit on the ride, park around the corner and turn up like a normal member of society having stashed to lot in secure(ish) and waterproof boxes.

While paniers are a great option if you absolutely have to change before walking into the building, they’re a pain when filtering. So I reiterate the support for a massive top box. It’s never been an issue for me when filtering, it keeps stuff dry on soaking motorway journeys and keeps stuff mostly safe when away from the bike.

bash87
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have summer and winter leathers, and ride to work pretty much all year round (office job).

Leathers are one size bigger than I would normally wear. Not enough for the protection to move out of place, but enough to give me a bit more room underneath for my trousers, shirt and (occasionally!) a tie.

Work shoes in backpack with laptop and my lunch, no worries.

Gloves go in lid, lid goes on desk. Boots and leathers under the desk, jacket on the back of the chair.

It has become routine. So much so, that I will now only consider jobs that have dedicated motorcycle parking and other useful facilities like lockers and showers.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Givi E21 or kappa equivalent for narrow panniers. I should probably check if they are actually as narrow as my cut-down rentals on the wide-assed bandit, doesn't seem to stop me filtering. It's remembering I've got the big boxes on that I don't do so well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2