Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new textile jacket and trousers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: new textile jacket and trousers Reply with quote

am due to move soon and dont feel my current gear is adequate for motorway riding! ie. kevlar jeans and a summer jacket with hoody underneath (have been a central london rider until now!)

I am in the market for a new textile jacket and trousers just looking for some ideas. With elbow, shoulder and back protector integrated. I also like the ones where you can bring the waist in so its snug.

i am guessing as motorway riding, ideally they should zip together too?

I am 6ft2 and 20 stone (not fat, bodybuilder so wide shoulders thin waist so getting a good fit can be tricky and also length as many are short cut). ideally I want a plain black one without all the logos everywhere (I used to have a good alpinestars one which I bought in the US but its no longer fit for purpose).

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 favourite trousers for year round riding are Alpinestars Valparaiso Drystar and Alpinestars Drystar Express.

The express are good for when you need to wear normal trousers underneath, they are cut quite loose to allow it. I've abused mine for a few years (crashed in them twice) and they are still warm and waterproof.

Valparaiso I've had for about 9 months, warm, waterproof, comfortable. Have pockets that are actually useful. Both Thermal and waterproof liners can be removed so are good for all seasons.

Neither are particularity covered in branding and both have zips to attach to jackets.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, 6'2" and 20st on a cbr125, that's hells impressive... and poor bike Eh?

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:15 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
dude, 6'2" and 20st on a cbr125, that's hells impressive... and poor bike Eh?

haha it has been suffering for 2 years, i go through brakes pretty quick Rolling Eyes

now just need to get my arse in gear and find me an old school 600

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some decent and cheap textiles you can get off Amazon, just make sure you measure yourself before buying.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:19 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

numberworth on ebay, triumph outlet are the first 2 I would look at
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:31 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RST blade could be a good choice for you, it doesn't have massive logo's everywhere like other RST stuff. All depends on what you want to spend really.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously though, my shoulders and chest are quite broad too (but I'm not a bodybuilder Embarassed ) and I struggle to find decent gear that fits well.

When I was looking around a few brands stood out. Bering as they do a range aptly named "tank" which runs up into sizes that make me look like a midget. The full suit looked great, quality seemed spot on, but I ended up getting Klim which was a slightly better fit and gore-tex, top notch but also top dorrar.

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:51 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know budget really.

I love my Alpinestars Andes jacket, I'm 15.5 stone at 5ft 9, not a bodybuilder but I weight train a few times a week and have big shoulders and back so struggle with sizing too and the Alpinestars was the best fit. I commute 80 miles a day and it's very waterproof, the Drystar lining is their version of Gore Tex.

I'm an XL though so fuck knows what size you'd have to get. Very Happy
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shout for the Alpinestars Andes range. I have both the jacket and trousers (both purchased second hand on ebay) and am very happy with both. I commute one or two days a week and have done so pretty much every week since june and they have served me well in all weathers. With the linings out and vents open they are a nice cool summer suit, whilst with the thermal bit inside I wore them quite happily with just a T shirt and work trousers underneath last week. The drystar membrane has also never let me down and I have never gotten wet, except a bit of seepage around the neck and cuffs.

My commute is 50 miles each way covering M5, M6 and M42 and I also did a long motorway slog from Birmingham to Rock, Cornwall last October with no issues. Bike is an MT-07, so not much protection from the weather otherwise.

Things to note, the zip is not brilliant on my jacket and occassionally unattaches itself from the bottom if I try and be too leany forwards in my position. The collar is not quite high enough to block the wind and stop water ingress, but works well with a balaclava. Also, the jacket only comes with a foam back insert, although the compartment is commodious enough that you will have no issue finding a proper protector if you wish.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've RST, Frank Thomas and Texspeed (bikewear direct) and they're all decent but because of your body shape, I've no idea if any of them would fit you.
I think you should spend a few hours at J&S (or wherever) to work out what brands fits you before worrying about which ones are especially good value for money.
You could end up with a shortlist of 2 or 3 names only to find they don't fit.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

cheers guys. I am happy to spend up to £250-300 for jacket and up to £200 for trousers if they are going to last me. when I first got into biking I got my jacket in America (Alpinestars lance I think it is called - Rideout collection or something) and fit was ok but not snug enough around the waist as with my rucksack on as I lean over it would cause the jacket to ride up, that is why I am looking for a jacket which would be adjustable at waist to keep everything tight to body to avoid riding up.

I like the look of the RST stuff and also the Andes alpinestars stuff, I will have a look in a few shops see what I can find. closest ones are Helmetcity in Tatsfield or Getgeared in leatherhead, I live in Croydon, any recommendations for other places I could look in?

I did randomly try on an alpinestars GT i think it was called, even the 4XL was a bit of a funny fit very tight at chest and shoulders, loose around waist and riding up high.

ahhh the joys Rolling Eyes as ZX-7r says maybe less gear in my arse Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:02 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'5" and have the same issue with Short Jackets. I did have a Triumph Jacket that was great, it was a long style. I replaced it with a Halvarssons jacket, the lady in the shop told me Scandinavian brands tend to be longer and bigger in the shoulders to fit the local vikings.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I live in Croydon, any recommendations for other places I could look in?

I think there's an Infinity shop and a J&S in south London...
You can also try any bike dealers (assuming you can put up with their hard sell at usually expensive prices) as you're just going for a 'try on'.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the RST range will go large enough. I'm wearing their 2Xl/48 chest jackets, went to buy a new (dress) suit and I'm still a 44. Trying them on is a must.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1