Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new model!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

bakedbeanzont...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new model!!! Reply with quote

I just recently passed my MOD 2 and have been researching the market like mad to find a decent new bike. After an embarrassing amount of time trolling various youtube reviews ('cager on two wheels' seems a prolific reviewer of bikes, I'm set on a new standard Triumph Street Triple. Took one out for a short test ride today and really like it. I can get it for list with special offer of free fly screen, undertray and seat cowel plus £600 worth of clothing or accessories for free or alternatively deduct £600 from the bike. In all a pretty good deal I think.

Problem is I'm told a totally revamped Street Triple is due to hit dealerships next month and I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet and buy the existing version with the tempting offer or wait for the new one. I'd be most grateful to hear the views of more experienced bikers. Thanks in advance

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an MT09. Then decide.

bakedbeanzont...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:32 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Try an MT09. Then decide.

Seems a really awesome bike but I'm not sure if I have the skill to handle what seems a like a grenade with the pin pulled! Another test ride coming up I think...

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might get an even better deal on the current model if you wait till the neweekend one is out.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new mode Reply with quote

bakedbeanzontoast wrote:
I'd be most grateful to hear the views of more experienced bikers. Thanks in advance

You have to try the newer model being that close to its release!
It's lighter, faster and better looking. Hard to imagine it's not going to be the better buy.

The price on any older models will probably fall further, and there may well be an increase in the 2nd hand market of the older models which you could pick up a big discount on.

Buying one now doesn't seem worth it in my mind. But each to own of course.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakedbeanzontoast wrote:
but I'm not sure if I have the skill to handle what seems a like a grenade with the pin pulled! Another test ride coming up I think...

That's exactly what made me buy one. Laughing Give one a whirl. I was surprised at the difference.

Last edited by grr666 on 00:40 - 28 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new mode Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

It's lighter, faster and better looking. Hard to imagine it's not going to be the better buy.

I'm still not convinced that lighter and lighter is the way to go for a bike that will get mainly road use. But yeah, might as well at least wait and try the new model now, would seem daft not to.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:20 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a bunch of pre-reg pre-Eurobollocks 675 Triples knocking around in the dealer chain that they need to shift, so don't feel bad about offering Suzuki money for one.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got offered a test ride with less than one year on your license?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:

I test rode a CBR600 and Street Triple from dealer 48 hours after passing test.
If some don't, I guess it depends on the dealer + their appetite for risk/reward and their insurance cover.

Wouldn't buy from someone who didn't offer test rides.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new mode Reply with quote

bakedbeanzontoast wrote:
'cager on two wheels' seems a prolific reviewer of bikes

He's an annoying fuck though isn't he? I'd rather be stuck in a lift with Jedward than watch cager on two wheels.

...anyway, back on topic.

I'd buy the new model over the old one without a doubt. I'd also try an MT09 as it's almost certainly better value and the new one seems to have addressed the issues that afflicted the old one.

That said, why not have a look at a used bike for a first bike? You can get a garage queen with next to no mileage on it for half of what a new one costs? It'll lose less money and when you drop it you'll be a lot less upset.

bakedbeanzont...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:42 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
yea, only catch was I had to sign a form stating I'd be responsible for the first £2k of damage!!!

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:30 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:

Nothing unusual in that, I test rode a Ducati monster 821 a month after passing my test, in November. Pretty sure I also test rode an MT09, MT09 tracer, a GSX-S1000 and v-strom 1000 all within my first year of riding.

The was a 1k excess on the Ducati ride but that's normal for a lot of test rides.

OP - WAIT. either buy the new bike or if you still want the old one there will be tons of deals about to shift the old model on, so it's a win win situation if you wait for the new one to come out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Dilemma - buy new Street Triple now or wait for new mode Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Pigeon wrote:

I'm still not convinced that lighter and lighter is the way to go for a bike that will get mainly road use. But yeah, might as well at least wait and try the new model now, would seem daft not to.

Why not? Weight gives you the illusion of stability until you end up in you know... a welsh hedge Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh!

Shifty

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:35 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I one of the minority who thinks that the striple looks ugly? No idea about performance but to me that light just looks... ugh

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round eye ones were lush, the squinty eyed ones are hideous but can be sorted with surgery. </Mengele>
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1