Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding at top speed, is it bad ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

armanazam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:45 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Riding at top speed, is it bad ? Reply with quote

Hey guys and girls, my first ever post so go easy Wink

I've been riding my CBR 125 for 7 months now rain or shine and for the past few months every day to work my bike hits around 70 (showing 80 on speedometer) for at least 3-5 mins there and back, 5 days a week.

I was just wondering is this bad for the bike ? Or is it built to withstand such speeds and stress on the engine.

There's no noise or anything since I've been doing the trip (5 months) but I don't want to keep it up if it will destroy my little bike Smile

Thank you in advance !

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that's fine but don't neglect oil changes and valve checks etc. The bike will definitely thank you for fresh oil every 2k and new filter every 4k. Keep chain clean and lubricated too as this will help to keep friction down.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it isn't pinging off of the rev limiter it'll be ok Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:08 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with going flat out all time, the rev limiter is to stop the engine from damaging itself. Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How else are you going to get anywhere on a 125?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:56 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatest threat to the longevity of most learner-bikes is the rider rather than the revs.

Risk that you'll blow it up, are about equal to those you'll crash it or to those you'll kill it with kindness doing 'maintenance'... or not.

I'd say, that regularly trying to max it out, and paying attention to the speedo and just how maxed out it is, is probably not indicative that the bike's destined for a long and happy life... but, that it's design durability isn't put much in question by that...

7-months going to and from work on it, AND reaching motorway speeds in the doing.... suggests you have the wrong bike for the job... which begs question why?

And presumption you are on CBT & L's, which begs question, WHY as a 'Learner' granted the privilege no other motorized road user has, to use a motor-vehicle, unsupervised, on the public highway without first passing tests to earn their road room in order to 'practice' for said tests, are you using it to avoid tests and get to work every day, as if you had?

7-months daily commuting, suggests you have had more than enough 'practice', and if you cant pass the tests by now, which essentially ask you to do no more than a simulated daily commute, and get from one side of town to t'other without breaking any road laws or causing hazard, you never will... so CBT & L's should not be, you aught have a full licence, and if over 19, that would open the door to myriad of alternate machines, which can achieve motorway speeds, far more reliably, and comfortably without being 'maxed out' to do so... and many of them aren't enormousely over 125cc!!

125's for the most part are slow but cheap; Big bikes are usually more expensive but faster; you accept the former to get the latter.

CBR125, is neither cheap, nor fast...

Like I said, rather begs the notion its the wrong bike for the job... and whether you are on CBT & L's pretending to be a learner and dodge test, or a teenager on A1 who can have no more, regularly maxing one out on your way to work, suggests that it's your expectation and attitude that's most likely to do for the thing than any facet of its design durability.

If you don't have a licence, go get one. If you do, and it will let you ride a bigger bike; then anything over 125 will do these speeds all day log, into headwinds, up hill and down dale, and NOT have you dicing with the blitzen-bimmers and audi-cochs on the multi-lane trying to hold the speed limit.

If you cant have a bigger bike because of costs or age, the accept the slow. Not all traffic can go over 60 or is even allowed to, and that little bit of 'restraint' to not exceed that 'max speed' will see you staying out of the way of the audicocks trying to push you along at 90, and enjoying what tiddlers do best and better able to return the high MPG they are capable of, as WELL as the 'attitude' shift suggesting far more circumstances more conducive to not crashing or trashing the thing.

Yeah... 70... bike will do it... even do it relatively happily... pay attention to the roads, pay attention to the service schedule, and it shouldn't hurt it... BUT, question suggests you don't and wont, and so the bike probably wont for all that long.

Answer isn't in the bikes architecture, its all in your attitude and expectation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef:- STFU.

He wanted an answer on whether he will blow his engine up, not a treatise on why you think learner laws are bad and have been since 1926.

One day, you're going to write a short, concise answer, and everyone will be left stunned.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:52 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine, but you will want to get it warmed up before thrashing it until it screams IYKWIM. Straight into a dual carriageway from cold might not be the best for your bike.

Chances are that any wear you're inflicting will be someone else's problem though.

armanazam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:55 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rogerborg thank you for the info, it's a 4 minute ride through town then onto the dual carriage way for another 4 minutes and then a minute or so of town riding Smile

@thatdippytwat. love the name Wink

@teflon-mike. I don't think it's the wrong bike really, I do a lot of town riding, start-stop and I reach those speeds for 4 minutes a day as the dual carriage way is the safest way for me to get to work, (15 mile journey).
I do however appreciate the time you have taken to reply to me. I am on L plates, but not new to raods, been driving cars for the past 3 years Smile I am doing my test in march bu would also like to ride the 125, and you never know I might fail! Wink
I'm not a typical young rider, I like to take care of my bike, was just wondering if going 70mph is bad or not so please don't assume Smile

@ste , thank you Smile

@trevor - great response thank you so much , I need to have a valve check done soon

armanazam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:55 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
No that's fine but don't neglect oil changes and valve checks etc. The bike will definitely thank you for fresh oil every 2k and new filter every 4k. Keep chain clean and lubricated too as this will help to keep friction down.

armanazam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's fine, but you will want to get it warmed up before thrashing it until it screams IYKWIM. Straight into a dual carriageway from cold might not be the best for your bike.

Chances are that any wear you're inflicting will be someone else's problem though.

armanazam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Greatest threat to the longevity of most learner-bikes is the rider rather than the revs.

Risk that you'll blow it up, are about equal to those you'll crash it or to those you'll kill it with kindness doing 'maintenance'... or not.

I'd say, that regularly trying to max it out, and paying attention to the speedo and just how maxed out it is, is probably not indicative that the bike's destined for a long and happy life... but, that it's design durability isn't put much in question by that...

7-months going to and from work on it, AND reaching motorway speeds in the doing.... suggests you have the wrong bike for the job... which begs question why?

And presumption you are on CBT & L's, which begs question, WHY as a 'Learner' granted the privilege no other motorized road user has, to use a motor-vehicle, unsupervised, on the public highway without first passing tests to earn their road room in order to 'practice' for said tests, are you using it to avoid tests and get to work every day, as if you had?

7-months daily commuting, suggests you have had more than enough 'practice', and if you cant pass the tests by now, which essentially ask you to do no more than a simulated daily commute, and get from one side of town to t'other without breaking any road laws or causing hazard, you never will... so CBT & L's should not be, you aught have a full licence, and if over 19, that would open the door to myriad of alternate machines, which can achieve motorway speeds, far more reliably, and comfortably without being 'maxed out' to do so... and many of them aren't enormousely over 125cc!!

125's for the most part are slow but cheap; Big bikes are usually more expensive but faster; you accept the former to get the latter.

CBR125, is neither cheap, nor fast...

Like I said, rather begs the notion its the wrong bike for the job... and whether you are on CBT & L's pretending to be a learner and dodge test, or a teenager on A1 who can have no more, regularly maxing one out on your way to work, suggests that it's your expectation and attitude that's most likely to do for the thing than any facet of its design durability.

If you don't have a licence, go get one. If you do, and it will let you ride a bigger bike; then anything over 125 will do these speeds all day log, into headwinds, up hill and down dale, and NOT have you dicing with the blitzen-bimmers and audi-cochs on the multi-lane trying to hold the speed limit.

If you cant have a bigger bike because of costs or age, the accept the slow. Not all traffic can go over 60 or is even allowed to, and that little bit of 'restraint' to not exceed that 'max speed' will see you staying out of the way of the audicocks trying to push you along at 90, and enjoying what tiddlers do best and better able to return the high MPG they are capable of, as WELL as the 'attitude' shift suggesting far more circumstances more conducive to not crashing or trashing the thing.

Yeah... 70... bike will do it... even do it relatively happily... pay attention to the roads, pay attention to the service schedule, and it shouldn't hurt it... BUT, question suggests you don't and wont, and so the bike probably wont for all that long.

Answer isn't in the bikes architecture, its all in your attitude and expectation.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up:
Keep it well serviced and enjoy

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
To sum up:
Keep it well serviced and enjoy

I take the same approach to my genitals. Shifty

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fine but, the bike may decide it wants to try and kill you at some point down the line. (Check my sig.)

The R125 had been serviced regular and looked after pretty well. Still, 30,000 miles of mostly redlining is apparently, quite impressive for that bike or so I've been told.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding at top speed is not the major wear factor on a bike, how you get to that speed can be.
Smooth acceleration and change up before hitting red line will be fine.
Giving it everything in every gear will increase wear rate significantly.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:51 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a fair question, I did wonder about mine back when I was on a 125
They do a fair bit of screaming at 70+ lol

Then you get a big bike and its you that starts screaming!!!

*cough* Just kidding obviously I'm a big man.... I never scream Very Happy

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:50 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Its a fair question, I did wonder about mine back when I was on a 125
They do a fair bit of screaming at 70+ lol

Then you get a big bike and its you that starts screaming!!!

*cough* Just kidding obviously I'm a big man.... I never scream Very Happy

I nearly did the first time I hit 70 in 1st gear (in my defence, the rear wheel was doing its utmost to get ahead of the front wheel!!!) Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1