Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

954 felt like I could get off and it'd ride itself now real

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: 954 felt like I could get off and it'd ride itself now real Reply with quote

Years and years ago people complained about the 954 FireBlade. It felt like it was on rails... I mean it felt so competent that you could get off and the damned thing would ride itself.

Honda just made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH60-R8MOKo

Probably so people can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJP-XhY_SCw
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the 929, that people complained about.

Anyway, interesting bit of engineering. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:32 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 954. It was shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit I thought would be interesting is the possibility that this offers for mid ride adjustable frame geometry...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

You only say that because you crashed it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:49 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MarJay wrote:

It was shit before I crashed it, it was shit after I crashed (and repaired) it. It's setup for a fat bloke, and I'm no fat bloke. Maybe with a genuine fat bloke aboard it would have worked, but otherwise it was lethal.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you call a fat bloke? (That's not the start of a joke!)

The average UK adult man is 5'9" and weighs just over 13 stone, or 82.5kg.

Personally, I found the 954 to be perfectly stable. But I don't rate it particularly. It's certainly not the perfect road sportsbike that it's sometimes claimed to be. Very many sportsbikes offer significantly better ergonomics and performance, and quite a few of those are just as well designed and built.

954 aside, impressive tech from Honda. And I agree, the most interesting part is the adjustable steering head angle.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually pretty clever.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well and good until the battery dies and it just falls over of its own accord?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalemac wrote:
All well and good until the battery dies and it just falls over of its own accord?

I saw what you did there.

Last edited by recman on 12:11 - 07 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
What do you call a fat bloke?

A taxi.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

It's the same as the old motorcyclist joke, anyone who is quicker than me is mad, and anyone who is slower than me is just slow. I weigh just over 10 stone.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

Personally, I found the 954 to be perfectly stable. But I don't rate it particularly. It's certainly not the perfect road sportsbike that it's sometimes claimed to be. Very many sportsbikes offer significantly better ergonomics and performance, and quite a few of those are just as well designed and built.

954 aside, impressive tech from Honda. And I agree, the most interesting part is the adjustable steering head angle.

So what is better than 954, genuinely curious.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:

For that period? Or for the same sort of money? Or just 'what's better', of any bike, of any period, of any budget? The latter would make for a very long list!

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:07 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It's the same as the old motorcyclist joke, anyone who is quicker than me is mad, and anyone who is slower than me is just slow. I weigh just over 10 stone.

I'm surprised you are tall enough to swing your leg over a 954.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
sickpup wrote:

It was shit before I crashed it, it was shit after I crashed (and repaired) it. It's setup for a fat bloke, and I'm no fat bloke. Maybe with a genuine fat bloke aboard it would have worked, but otherwise it was lethal.

I weighed about 11-12 stone when I had mine and it was awesome. Still awesome even after I crashed it (twice). It was a very good bike, but IMO they feel a little old school now.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:47 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
drbaig wrote:

For that period? Or for the same sort of money? Or just 'what's better', of any bike, of any period, of any budget? The latter would make for a very long list!

For that period or similar sort of money.

Obviously, tech improves and prices increase with newer better things so I'd say you are being facetious. Laughing

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that period, for that kind of bike, in no particular order and from personal experience:

- Ducati 999
- Honda SP1/2
- Aprilia RSV1000R (2nd Gen)
- Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K3+)
- Kawasaki ZX-10R (1st Gen)
- KTM 990 Superduke

Not sure about the R1. I haven't ridden one of that vintage. But I'd probably choose the 98-2001 R1 over the 954.

There are different reasons why IMO each of those is 'better' than a 954, but for the same money and condition, those would be my preference.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
For that period, for that kind of bike, in no particular order and from personal experience:

- Ducati 999
- Honda SP1/2
- Aprilia RSV1000R (2nd Gen)
- Suzuki GSX-R1000 (K3+)
- Kawasaki ZX-10R (1st Gen)
- KTM 990 Superduke

Not sure about the R1. I haven't ridden one of that vintage. But I'd probably choose the 98-2001 R1 over the 954.

There are different reasons why IMO each of those is 'better' than a 954, but for the same money and condition, those would be my preference.

Glad to see there's actually something I could ride on that list Rolling Eyes Laughing
Couple grand more and I'd be trading the Striple I think.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

All that means is that the average uk man is a 'fat bloke'.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:25 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Alex A wrote:

- KTM 990 Superduke

Glad to see there's actually something I could ride on that list Rolling Eyes Laughing

Easy now, I've ridden 2, both had issues and were very well maintained Laughing Wouldn't be ditching the Striple brotherhood just yet...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Disappoint.

Doesn't really matter though. I could go out and buy a KTM outright now, but there is a limit to how far the finances will stretch, and this year I expect them to be stretched right up to that limit, and then some.

This is what I'd worry about though, if I decided to seriously look for a KTM. Like Italian bikes, I wouldn't trust my luck with reliability, and I'm not much of a spanner twirler myself these days. The talk of trading the Striple is probably just that; all talk.

*Sigh* One can dream though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Alex A wrote:

- KTM 990 Superduke

Quote:
Easy now, I've ridden 2, both had issues and were very well maintained Laughing Wouldn't be ditching the Striple brotherhood just yet...

I had a CCM FT35s after my triple let me down 4 times in a year. The CCM was more engaging, lighter and more reliable than the street triple.

So much for personal experience eh?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1