Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What makes a bike fun?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Thing is, I bought the Striple to try something lighter, and I just don't get the same kick. For one thing, ultra light just doesn't work on many of the roads I ride. The bike gets thrown around too much by all the bumps. The Fazer on the other hand, just deals with them and stays on line. Of course, the Striple might be better if I got the suspension set up properly Rolling Eyes but I'm certain it's still largely down to the weight thing.

How many hedges have you ended up in with the Striple?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

None. Yet. But because of the suspension (maybe), I just don't feel I want to push it as much as I will the Fazer. Plus, it's more stone walls than hedges around here; bit less forgiving Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:39 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Inb4

Ah; you beat me to it Smile.

I've had a lot more. Though generally not intentionally trying to push the limits of traction to be fair.

Do you at least have plenty of rear wheel slides?

On a lot of English roads I find it's the road it's self that's the limiting factor on a lot of bikes (ie 55hp+) anyway - visibility and so on limits how much I want to open it up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I've had a lot more.

I'm not quite sure what this says about your riding Razz
Or mine for that matter Confused

Quote:
Do you at least have plenty of rear wheel slides?

Not so much since Pilot Road tyres Smile I have, however, had the pegs down on the Fazer a lot since switching to these (years ago now). But only on Welsh roads and in Europe.*

Quote:
On a lot of English roads I find it's the road it's self that's the limiting factor on a lot of bikes (ie 55hp+) anyway - visibility and so on limits how much I want to open it up.

English roads are mostly crap. No point pushing it too much when you know the odds are stacked against you already anyway.

*A long time ago, when I had my GSXR750 slabby, there were a few places where I'd actually use a bit of rear wheel steering, deliberately cracking the throttle at a certain point in a corner to break rear traction to get pointed out for the exit. Then some "what ifs" crept into my mind, and I packed that in.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
None. Yet. But because of the suspension (maybe), I just don't feel I want to push it as much as I will the Fazer. Plus, it's more stone walls than hedges around here; bit less forgiving Shocked

So it's in a way safer then? Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

So it's in a way less fun then? Smile

FTFY Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So crashing's fun? Very Happy

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

As long as you just slide along the tarmac when you crash and avoid hitting a solid object of mass, then with good leathers on crashing can be equivalent to a bobsleigh run.....( have I spelled that right?) ie fun fun fun I would love to try bobsleigh.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun?

I think the danger that I may not get home again on it as it will break down on me anywhere. I like the gambling of unreliable bikes. I like having something that will just about touch a hundred with a lot of winding it up.

I hated my Varadero 125 with a passion, excellent bit of kit, but it always started everytime and never wanted for anything. It then got from a to b without a fuss and was cheap to run.

My crossers are great because there is always something stupid about to happen. The engines are far more capable than the chassis, so you bounce along like a pogo stick and fail to stop when necessary. You can wheelie it dead easy and the knobblie tyres never grip the road, you can then go wherever you want on them, my CB400 doesn't go offroad very well. And you get the risk of something going wrong because you ride the snot out of them and have ruined their reliable reputation. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

No Rolling Eyes The risk of crashing adds to the fun of riding (for me).* Probably in the same way that the risk of falling in climbing adds to the thrill. If you didn't like the risk, you wouldn't ride (you can't tell me you're not aware of the risks).

On a side note, somewhere, I read an article that listed all the different terms climbers had for falling, peeling being the only one I can recall now - it is, I guess, a way of playing down the consequences of ucking fup, much in the way that the military have a pretty black sense of humour; something I think motorcyclists generally have in common. So I suppose it means that we do accept risk, maybe expect it. I would also suggest that many motorcyclists also ride because of the risks to one degree or another; I don't accept that it's just me, and don't entirely accept it when others say it doesn't play a part in why they ride, at least subconsciously.

*but there are limits to how much risk I'll accept.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 18:37 - 07 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:33 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pegs down I don't like - it's very much the wrong type of 'edge of traction' on the road for me. You're probably fine, but have them catch in something and it's a very binary 'fine' to 'Oh ****'. Believe someone from a hornet forum died doing this.
Much more likely on soft suspension, of course.

struan80 wrote:

As long as you just slide along the tarmac when you crash and avoid hitting a solid object of mass, then with good leathers on crashing can be equivalent to a bobsleigh run.....( have I spelled that right?) ie fun fun fun I would love to try bobsleigh.

Hotter.

My fastest sliding crash was on an SV in the wet at Snetterton on the start-finish straight.
Went down as soon as I touched the brakes despite wets (Avons; not even once, kid!). My back-side actually started to heat up to the point I had to arch my back to stop it getting too toasty!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Pegs down I don't like - it's very much the wrong type of 'edge of traction' on the road for me. You're probably fine, but have them catch in something and it's a very binary 'fine' to 'Oh ****'. Believe someone from a hornet forum died doing this.

I've done far more risky things on a bike. People talk about the risk of losing a kneecap if you get your knee down on the road. Yes, we know it can happen; doesn't stop many from doing it though. Personally, that's just not my style of riding, for better or worse. G, you've crashed many times on the road, so some of those times you must have been taking risks, judging by the ride you talk - I certainly don't believe you stay within all speed limits for example. Maybe you didn't have a peg down, but you were doing something else that ended up in a crash - and if you crash on the road, you yourself have pointed out the dangers of road furniture, traffic etc. So you could have come off just as badly as I did when I hit that car head on in '91.

Oh, and the tyres have never felt like they were about to let go when I've had the pegs dragging. On one occasion, I found myself in the position of just having to lay the bike that far over because of the way I'd gone into the corner. Bounced the damn thing off the tarmac, but still no sense of losing traction. That put a grin on my face once I knew I'd gotten away with it Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed the same or more times on my first bike as you have overall!
It was a cg125 and I was a silly 17 year old.
I am including some doing stunts in fairly 'safe' place.

Who talks about losing a knee cap getting your knee down on the road? Have they not heard of leathers and sliders.
I can see it being pretty nasty, especially if you've got extra grippy velcro, but hopefully unless it was a ridiculously big pot hole, you'd just lose your slider.
It's very rare I'd go for knee down on the road; though the RS250 was so tiny you really didn't need to try much to do it.

The vast majority of my crashes on the road were a long time ago - last one must have been 9 years ago; pushed it too much on an empty business park roundabout on chilly summer evening not considering that the road and tyres would be a lot cooler than the same one at midday.

Yes, for the most part pegs down are fine, especially presuming they're hinged. Even exhaust down you generally get away with. But there's that 1 time in a 1000 or whatever that'd I'd rather not risk.

Since starting trackdays a good while etc I got a bit bored of road riding and found most pleasure from open-road riding in learning 'advanced riding' stuff as it's a skill I can improve, while I generally don't want to push pure speed any more because the risk vs reward when compared to track riding doesn't come close for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not trying hard enough Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:14 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was my original point - I don't want to 'try hard' on the road Wink.

Note; actually 8 years ago, but once I left that job haven't had the need to ride on the road that much, so very sporadic.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I think that was my original point - I don't want to 'try hard' on the road Wink .

haven't had the need to ride on the road that much

Well aren't you the lucky one. I'm getting a crick in my neck from craning up at you on your high horse Razz Gotta get my kicks somewhere, and as I said, if it wasn't bikes, it'd be something else. And as I've also said, I like to think i'm reining it in enough (nowadays Laughing ) to reduce the risks to an acceptable level. Unless you fancy paying for me to get in plenty of track time? Nope, thought not Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

No Rolling Eyes The risk of crashing adds to the fun of riding (for me).* Probably in the same way that the risk of falling in climbing adds to the thrill. If you didn't like the risk, you wouldn't ride (you can't tell me you're not aware of the risks).

The risk doesn't appeal to me at all, I don't relish the prospect of spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair, or losing a limb etc. I like riding, it's why I also really enjoy cycling, my perfect mode of transport would be somewhere between the two.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The risk doesn't appeal to me at all, I don't relish the prospect of spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair, or losing a limb etc. I like riding, it's why I also really enjoy cycling, my perfect mode of transport would be somewhere between the two.

Good job you ride a Yamaha 660, I wouldn't worry too much about risk...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I get more of a pure sense of freedom from my mountain bike riding, than from road riding motorbikes. But if you go out without all the gear, no helmet etc and go flying down a loose steep downhill track that's tree lined both sides, you could easily fuck oneself up quite well from making a small mistake?

I don't really seek that what if risk, but I do find there's something more basic and closer to disaster occuring from riding my MTB generally. Its all interesting though, as im fairly sure I could not give up mountain biking for motorbike riding as an either/or, and I'd miss it more than road riding a motorbike.

In fact if the roads are or were quiet, I'd sometimes be just as happy hooning in my car as on a motorbike these days. I think if I was seriously into off road biking still then it would be different, as there is some real buzz from off roading generally or so I've always felt.

I think if using a bike to say ride from one place to another say 50miles away, it could be a scooter or bike and any type or size and I'd still feel about the same level of enjoyment from the journey?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Good job you ride a Yamaha 660, I wouldn't worry too much about risk...

Sleeping Because it makes a difference whether you're on a 125 or litre bike when someone pulls out in front of you.

stevo as b4 wrote:
I dunno, I get more of a pure sense of freedom from my mountain bike riding, than from road riding motorbikes. But if you go out without all the gear, no helmet etc and go flying down a loose steep downhill track that's tree lined both sides, you could easily fuck oneself up quite well from making a small mistake?

I don't really seek that what if risk, but I do find there's something more basic and closer to disaster occuring from riding my MTB generally. Its all interesting though, as im fairly sure I could not give up mountain biking for motorbike riding as an either/or, and I'd miss it more than road riding a motorbike.

It depends what your idea of mountain biking is, mines a bimble round the woods so there isn't much chance of coming off Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't relish the prospect of spending the rest of my life in a wheel chair, or losing a limb etc.

M.C wrote:
when someone pulls out in front of you.

You think about this sort of thing a lot, don't you. If I thought about these things all the time, I don't think I'd ever get on a bike. It's why I don't tend to watch crash videos. I know what can happen, I don't need to have it rammed down my throat all the time. Sheesh, life's too short for all that stuff. Good way to ensure you don't have fun on a bike.

Sorry, but GTs post made me laugh. I don't mean anything by it Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
You think about this sort of thing a lot, don't you. If I thought about these things all the time, I don't think I'd ever get on a bike. It's why I don't tend to watch crash videos. I know what can happen, I don't need to have it rammed down my throat all the time. Sheesh, life's too short for all that stuff. Good way to ensure you don't have fun on a bike.

I ignored the risks (didn't watch crash videos, or read the spill counter) until I did have an accident then I had to face up to them. Seeing other peoples accidents has helped me avoid similar incidents, and generally think about hazards more.

Quote:
Sorry, but GTs post made me laugh. I don't mean anything by it Smile

Well I find it funny because a big single's more likely to catch you out than an IL4 with a lot more power. At least I've never had one step out when downshifting, in the dry, in a straight line...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
And as I've also said, I like to think i'm reining it in enough (nowadays Laughing ) to reduce the risks to an acceptable level. Unless you fancy paying for me to get in plenty of track time? Nope, thought not Wink

I think that was something around my original point as far as it being reigned back! Smile

Anyway; for what it's worth I've never tried to intentionally slide with too much throttle on the road (Have played around with backing it in, but that's a good bit safer I'd say.)

If you want to have some on-the-limits action, I'd suggest minimoto or pitbiking on kart tracks.

There's some really good deals around for decent minimotos and at 20kg and 20" high it's not a lot of hassle to transport them.
With being pretty much on the tarmac already and indoor speeds being maybe 40-45mph tops, generally the danger isn't too bad.
(I did have a nice highside on minimoto the other day where I was looking down on the bike after being flicked off, but only my already-dodgy shoulder seemed to be a problem and I jumped back on to carry on riding.)

Oh and for M.C - electric push bike, surely? Ideally mid-drive if you can.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oh and for M.C - electric push bike, surely? Ideally mid-drive if you can.

If derestricted... maybe =)

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of that though, when I'm watching Binge's track day or race vids on the 4valve monster pit bike. It looks far quicker than I'd want to go on such a physically small bike, and it's pretty take no prisoners and ballistic, especially on generally small tracks with not much run off etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4