What a tw*t!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: What a tw*t! Reply with quote

Not the Rainpal bloke -- but me.

A while a go I bought a pinlock insert for my visor, my first one, on recommendation from BCF amongst others, and it seemed good ... albeit a bit foggy. But that was a small price to pay for being able to breathe. So I thought.

Wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Today I finally peeled the anti-scratch plastic film off the inside ... and now the road ahead really is clear. Embarassed

Last edited by blue_painted on 20:38 - 06 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I've had lots of those moments unfortunately, like only realising during my second summer that the liner in my jacket was removable, or that the lens on my helmet cam' rotated so every video didn't need to be lopsided (even after someone told me so).

Or that pressing the indicator stalk cancelled your indicators, and you didn't need to fiddle about with it... in my defense the indicators weren't working when I got my 125 so it was very stiff, which's why I thought it didn't work Embarassed

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Or that pressing the indicator stalk cancelled your indicators,

When I last rode before a good decade plus gap, that wasn't a thing. Left, off, right. Imagine my puzzlement when centring the stalk didn't cancel. It's not intuitive, but it is easier than the old system.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same with my first pin lock I thought it was supposed to have a yellow tint.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: What a tw*t! Reply with quote

blue_painted wrote:
Not the Rainpal bloke -- but me.

A while a go I bought a pinlock insert for my visor, my first one, on recommendation from BCF amongst others, and it seemed good ... albeit a bit foggy. But that was a small price to pay for being able to breathe. So I thought.

Wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Today I finally peeled the anti-scratch plastic film off the inside ... and now the road ahead really is clear. Embarassed

OH SNAP!

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago.
In my defence, it is my first pinlock.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder motorcycle KSI statistics are so bloody high.

You're all idiots. Mr. Green

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the exact same thing, as the last pinlock ready helmet came with no film on it.
Was going to take it back to the shop and ask why they gave me a tinted yellow insert, up until a pal pointed out the corner was peeling Embarassed

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be poll Laughing

I did it too.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, not bike related but a similar thing.
My first washing machine used to jump around the kitchen on the spin cycle until I realised I'd not removed the transit bar.

I've never not removed the protective film on a pinlock though, that's just fuckin stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Ok, not bike related but a similar thing.
My first washing machine used to jump around the kitchen on the spin cycle until I realised I'd not removed the transit bar.

I've never not removed the protective film on a pinlock though, that's just fuckin stupid.

So is not removing the transit bar/bolts from a washing machine Wink

I've been cleaning my bike every other week during the winter using the garden hose attached to the kitchen tap. Hands have been freezing all the time due to stone cold water. Until I had a brainwave and used hot water from the mixer tap Embarassed

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:06 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still get that moment of panic when the bike wont start and you realise you knocked off the kill switch

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
Still get that moment of panic when the bike wont start and you realise you knocked off the kill switch

I had the shims done on my bike at the dealers and they gave me a loan bike for the day.
They gave me the keys to a brand new Z1000sx, five minutes later I`m back in the shop telling them it wont start!
Boy from the shop came out and flicked the kill switch and she started first time Embarassed Embarassed Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifes 17 year old brother still hasn't fitted his, despite my careful explanation that it isn't a spare visor which is
what his dad said it 'must be' after a quick disinterested look, and that once fitted he won't steam up nearly as much.
You can lead a horse to water... Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:26 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still never got one to work properly for more than a single trip.

First one fitted by the shop lasted an hour. It still steamed up and made the light glare from the oncoming traffic worse than without it so it got hoyed over my shoulder in a tear-off style at 100mph on the A1M.

Fitted one to my current visor and it buckled in one corner when I left the helmet out in the sunlight (in Wales in February). Removed it and packed it away in a map.

Tried to refit it recently having flattened out the buckle with a hairdrier but there's still simply no way it will fit without fouling on one of the visor seals somewhere when you move the visor. It either stops the visor closing properly or catches and rubs against a seal when you raise it.

Getting the seal to make contact with the visor all the way round is also a near impossability on my Aeroh lid then if you do it catches the helmet seal and moves. Yes it's a very concave visor in a very compact helmet but if they can't make one that fits, they shouldn't sell it.

The only way I can see of getting it to work with my lid would be to fit it and never open the visor again. This would be fine if they actually didn't steam up but they do, to the extent you can't see.

I still look forwards to the day when someone makes a laminate glass visor with a heating element.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them on my previous lid (Caberg) without issue.

On my current lid (Shark) there's a small section at the bottom that doesn't seal fully. It only mists a tiny bit around that part and doesn't affect my vision at all as it's not in the way .

I certainly find them much, much more useful than not having one fitted.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've still never got one to work properly for more than a single trip.

Get yersel a Shoei shaped head.
The only reason I replaced mine was because the previous one went a tad manky.
It always did what it said on the tin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Get yersel a Shoei shaped head.

Meh. First one was in an Arai.

Shoei don't make a lid with a removable chin bar.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the agv one for agv helmets. fit and forget basically, been in there two years never an issue.

Got myself an agv gt veloce helmet this summer and havent found a need for insert yet as ventilation is amazing

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:26 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know that if theyre not sealing properly you can adjust the pin tension so that it lies flat? It barely steams up at all then. It's part of the point of the design, although it is in the same instructions that tell you to remove the film....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:37 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It's ok, we've already established before that I'm a retard and it's because I'm not fitting the thing to inside of the visor properly that the insert steams up on the surface closest to my face to the point I can't see through it.

Or that I have the wrong helmet. Or I'm breathing too much. Or my expectations of having bought something that says it stops my visor steaming up are too high and of course it'll steam up.

Or that... Well, I don't know, but it's my fault somehow.

Yes they're better in most circumstances than the visor itself (I'd argue they are worse in the dark and rain with oncoming traffic) but they are a very long way from a panacea and I still have to either hold my breath or open the visor when I'm stopped or in slow traffic.

I call emperors new clothes on the whole idea.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:06 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:

Haha, I'm reading this having a good laugh and then read this, I remember when I first got my "real" bike and secound ride out it won't start, stupid robbing dealer I thought, new battery, new alt my arse. After pushing it to a down hill and trying to stef it I'm sitting in the dip just about to phone the missus, when I notice this great big mazzive red switchon top of the bars.... Rolling Eyes

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all had rainpal you wouldn't have this issue, as it prevents the visor from steaming up.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use toothpaste to polish inside of my visor. May not work as well as a pinlock (reapply every couple of weeks), but it's available (no pinlocks for my lid) and it's a metric fuckton cheaper.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread reminded me to re-assemble my Pinlock. I got soaked on the way home last night so stripped down the helmet for a clean and dry.

I have a Shoei Neotec and had a XR1000 before that. Both came with Pinlock in the box and made me a convert. With a bit of adjustment and maintenance they should last the lifetime of the helmet. Perfect for year round riding. I encourage all doubters to persist because when fitted correctly they just work. It's like magic. I can hardly believe I made it though nearly 15 years of riding before trying one.

Most folk have done the kill switch thing before. My best effort was leaning across to adjust my right mirror with my left hand while hammering down a dual carriageway. Must have flicked the switch with the cuff of my glove and BOOM, lost all power. Pulled over thinking I'd seized the engine. D'oh!

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:09 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say i've had an issue with my pinlock.

I put the pins in the visor, placed the insert against them and popped it back in place towards the visor and it's fitted perfectly ever since.

Didn't even read the instructions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2