Bike Noob

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Good Brumie Engineering. Workshop of the world. I'd ramble on about the true father of the Industrial revolution, Brummie, Mathew Bolton, without whom, we'd have never heard of that Scot, Watt! As well as Wilkinson and his swords and boring cannon, amongst other noteables. These are, rather like Renaisance 'Masters' the names we remember, but like them, often forgoten are the obscure artisans who usually did most of their work! Which begs mention of the Bee-zah! The guild of Birmingham gunsmiths and assocated trades, who amalgumated in order to compete for Navy contracts during the 1700's, to become the mighty BSA coproration, rather than Joseph Witworth, the eccentric British noble, who 'invented' standardisation and the concept of limits and fits.. as well as the gun that killed the Bufalo and destroyed the Indian Nations! But that's another story, into which comes the Lee-Enfeld Three-oh-Three rifle, that created an empire.

Hard to believe that such an empire as the world has ever seen was created on the products chucked out of Brummie workshops really.... BUT.. spanner scrattin, IS the Brummie revenge for laughing at "aw-wur ack-sint", and thinking we must be daft 'cos we sownd da-aft!

Well, that and Longbridge tin worm. They bred them on a farm near Bromsgrove, you know? Lickey End, got it's name 'cos the chap that fitted them, decided how many worms each car needed by tasting the metal, would yaw billeeeve!

I'm a Stourbridgian but had a girlfriend who lived up in Lickey End. Always made me chuckle. The accent isn't too strong up our way, working in Oldbury and Tipton certainly brought out the black country in me though.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. ever watched Lennie Henry goes home?

He quips that da-an sa-af, he acquired that London 'jive' but still got accused of having a funny accent.... Heading back up the M6, he'd be chatting to Dawn French in the car, and they'd reach fort Dunlop, and she'd say... "Oh Kay, you're home, you've gone native!"

By dint of medical emergency, I was born in Lode Lane, Solihul, but my home town is Stratford upon Avon, and my nursery years were spent on the family farm, where when I started to talk, I apparently entoned in Braad'ist Owl-Wowld, Gaa-sta! The accent of the aged farm workers who indulged the tear away toddler getting 'in' to everything before H&S regs came along!... With a stutter!

BOTH these traits were, it was revealed not very long ago, 'beaten' out of me before I started school. "You are the Heir to the estate! NOT some urchin from the village, you WILL talk 'properly'!" and I had to enunciate in correct BBC 'English' or I wouldn't get replied to in the house! "That language belongs in the fields and it STAYS in the fields!"... I think I had probably asked something like, "Whell, 'e aluz cawls meeeya booggah! Waz wraaang we-eth thaaat?" lol!

After a brief interlude 'oop-nurth', with mother divorsing and going to uni, living in the red-light district of Chapel Allerton, Leeds, in student accommodation, wondering who this "Yorkshire ripper" every one was talking about was, and being accused of 'sawndin pohsh!".. I returned to Statford, to attend high school in Henley in Arden, half way twixt Stratford and Brum, with a catchement that stretched as far either way, north/south and Leamington to 'Stood-Leigh' east/west! and my accent 'wandered'.. horrendously around the compass!

I'd get on the train to school on a Monday morning, and my mate would say "Dowt nid aask whut yoo bin doowin thes weakind! Yooh bin with thaa' Brummee bint, int yah?... y' taakin Brumigum aygayn bouy!"

Got worse when I started working on the building sites when I was about 15, and all the Brummie Oyrish! I almost got the crap kicked out of me by a rather hefty NI Fenian in the workingman's club in digbeth once, after a week on the lump with Mick & Liam, of Southern Irish extraction, who took great glee in playing to 'character' of their namesake jokes!!! Who after a good twenty minutes stopped dead across the conversation, looked me in the eye, and entoned, in good Guiness fumes "Oy Stup tekin Pess!"

More humorous was in '88; heading over to Dublin, to see Elvis Costello 'Live', and a little inebriated in the bar after, a similar if less threatening incident with a 'local' laughing and announcing "Can tell you'r frum Birmin'um, caant we!".... "Why? Is my accent that strong?" I asked.. not actually thinking I HAD a particularly strong accent, brummie or otherwise.... "Nah Lad!" He said, "But y'oyrich one has wandered through every county in the land, so'tas!... jus loyke every other Oyrish Brummie, comin 'owm!"

Curiously, the matter of the "Gaa-sta" and the stutter being beaten out of me as a child; after my nervous breakdown ten years back, left trying to teach myself to walk and talk again, and broken nerves didn't want to make body do what I told it; the Gaa-sta, and the stutter came back.... and still does, particularly when tired. Which was amusing at a pub near Evesham for a family 'do'.... and the middle aged waitress remarked to my Aunt "He sounds like my GRANDAD! I haven't heard anyone talk like that for thirty years!"

Reminded me of a comment made by an Indian collegue at work, about "Asian Gurnah's" or "White Boys", a derogatory re-applied to 2nd generation emigrant Indians returning to the land of their forefathers, with 'antique' dialects learned in their forreign home, usually from grandparents.

But, yeah! worked in Brum, lived in Stratford, I suffered the Fort Dunlop effect twice a day!!!

I daren't venture past Wednesbury! I have to take the long way round 'BlaK Cooontreeee!' for the sake of rolling hysterics in the car when I try and talk!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2