BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Whisky

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey is a blend but a very nice blend. Co Op do good deals on whisky and every now and again Tesco and Asda do then my wallet gets raped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:35 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP if all you can taste is the alcohol put a teaspoon of warm water in, swish it around and leave it 10 minutes. It tones down the brutal alcohol taste, I'm a whisky lover but still water my stronger ones (port Charlotte, 50%, has a bit of a kick...)

Last edited by SophR so good on 13:20 - 10 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:09 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very swish looking shelf....

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Mostly speyside / east coast for me.

I have two or 3 cubes of ice with a house size dram, i like it like that it needs to be cold.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/untitled-1_892.jpg

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers we built our house 6 years ago and we use them to pretty much light the kitchen / dining area, my pet hate is the down lights we fitted (big mistake).

I tend to have whisky if ive hard a busy week to sit and relax, when im out in the pub it would be whyte mackay in water or grouse in water (no where near as nice but much cheaper).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
OP if all you can taste is the alcohol put a teaspoon of warm water in, swish it around and leave it 10 minutes. It tones down the brutal alcohol taste, I'm a whisky lover but still water mmu stronger ones (port Charlotte, 50%, has a bit of a kick...)

I had a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh a couple of weeks ago. Cask strength bottled at 60.9%. Definitely needed some water in that one but what a dram, very nice.

The best blend I've tried was Glengoyne 'Teapot Dram.' Probably one of the nicest whiskys I've had full stop.

I don't drink a lot of it, just when the mood strikes or after a nice meal so I can afford to buy the slightly more expensive ones (normally around £40, never over £100). I tend to drink good quality beers or rum like Kraken (also have a few more nicer ones like Angostura 1824) more casually. To be honest when people know you like whisky you get it as a gift quite a lot so I rarely actually but myself any unless it's something special.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one bottle - it is a 40 year old bottle of 12yo Aberlour Glenlivet. My father-in-law was given it at work, doesn't drink whisky so put it away. He then found it 40 years later and gave it to me.

Suits my (current) taste.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I only have one bottle - it is a 40 year old bottle of 12yo Aberlour Glenlivet. My father-in-law was given it at work, doesn't drink whisky so put it away. He then found it 40 years later and gave it to me.

Suits my (current) taste.

Wonder how much that would have been worth if you did not open it.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of research before opening it. Consensus seemed to be no more than around £50. So I opened it.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:31 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is great, lots of good info for a noob like me. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a bottle this weekend. What would be a good intro at about £20-£30?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still trying to figure out what you like I'd suggest a tasting set consisting of small bottles that will let you try a few different varieties.

Possibly something like

https://www.whiskytastingcompany.com

Otherwise get a bottle of glenlivet, not heard of many people who dislike it, smooth easy drinking. I'd suggest spending a bit more and getting a 15 yo, should be about £40. Speyside single malt French oak reserve.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-glenlivet-15-year-old-french-oak-reserve-whisky/

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 08:22 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
This thread is great, lots of good info for a noob like me. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a bottle this weekend. What would be a good intro at about £20-£30?

I would try haig club then Tobermory without breaking the bank.

Edit:

Or go to 'the whiskey shop' in Guildford - it's on chapel street where they will have loads of things that you can try for free and the person in the shop usually knows loads and can match a bottle to your taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
I know it's not whisky but....
[img]Rum pic

If (in the distant future of BCF decent-drinking discussions) we are going to discuss decent rums, then don't let an opportunity to try Diplomatico Exclusive Reserve or El Dorado 15 YO go by. Kraken is like cow poo in comparison to these.
Cool Thumbs Up

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:41 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few more additions to the shelf over the xmas period.
Obviously I need to employ a style guru like Stevie to sort out the mess.

https://i.imgur.com/UEe4aGO.jpg

the only none whisky is a bottle of Morant Bay rum.
Which I picked up at a country fair because the trader had a nice smile and I liked the look of the bottle.

My brother in law is a big gin drinker and i gotta admit a very large glass of gin and bitter lemon is a fine thing.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikka Coffey Grain is the nicest whisky I have tasted, if you can still get it...

Robster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Bourbon lovers here? I've tried only a couple scotch, Haigh Club - not the clubman one but the more expensive bottle being the nicest scotch I've had so far.

I find Bourbon easier to drink personally, Jack Daniels Jim Bean and the cheapy ones are total gash unless you mix with Coke.

Woodford Reserve is still my favourite so far, haven't splashed out on the £50 version yet but the £30 bottle is lovely. Second would be JP Bulliet, followed closely by Buffalo Trace which is more reasonably priced. Tried Makers Mark over Xmas and didn't rate it so much. I drink em all neat at room temp.

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:00 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robster wrote:
Any Bourbon lovers here?

A lifetime lover of single malts, my allegiance was shaken on recent trip to the States.

Being in the land of bourbon it seemed appropriate to try a few and now I'm hooked on Basil Hayden's (even though it's a Beam Suntory offering). Struggle to find it in the shops here though. The duty free in Edinburgh airport is the only stockist i've come across so far and it seems a bit OTT to fly to Europe just to get a bottle so I'll keep pissing off the postie and ordering 4 bottles a time online Laughing Second choice would be Blantons.

Back to whiskies, I too am a sucker for the peaty Islay malts but for a beginner I'd say start with something in the middle of the road. All Jura malts are a safe bet, Superstition being my favourite of the range. Highland Park is another good shout and can be had for about £30 from most supermarkets.

Last edited by Spamalittle on 09:31 - 13 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think if Talisker? I really like it but know nothing about whisky... apart from Talisker is more expensive than I allow my self to spend. I sometimes have it if in a pub but have never bought myself a bottle. Very smokey tasting. Are there any other whiskys like that?

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're you go, looking at the image below im middle right so Rich / Delicate.

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02757/whiskymap_2757650c.jpg

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamEf wrote:
What do people think if Talisker? I really like it but know nothing about whisky... apart from Talisker is more expensive than I allow my self to spend. I sometimes have it if in a pub but have never bought myself a bottle. Very smokey tasting. Are there any other whiskys like that?

Depends. Talisker 10 year old is currently a decent bottle and not particularly expensive, especially if you can grab it on offer at the supermarket or something.

Talisker Storm is pretty good too, though the lack of an age statement puts me off a little. Not as good as 10 but worth a try, though it might be a bit more expensive iirc.

Talisker Skye is a bit shit. I don't know why they released this.

Talisker 18 is very nice but beyond your budget. Plus there are many other affordable whiskies that you're probably better of starting out with.

Talisker 21 (20?) is way beyond your budget and, to be honest, for a £200-odd bottle, I wasn't that impressed by it and I actually thought it was a little bit lacking. For that price, you could buy four bottles of excellent whisky and have a more fulfilling time.

EDIT: I've also learned no to bother buying whisky in a pub. You get a small measure, a poor choice of glass and an over-priced charge.

Buy a bottle and drink it at home. If you buy in a pub, ask for a wine glass.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Damon wrote:
I know it's not whisky but....
[img]Rum pic

El Dorado 15 YO

Half way through a bottle at the moment. Really nice; think it's worth the extra 10 or so quid over the 12 YO? I'm thinking probably.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig Hog wrote:

EDIT: I've also learned no to bother buying whisky in a pub. You get a small measure, a poor choice of glass and an over-priced charge.

I'll add a caveat, here in London there are a lot of places that have incredible selections. When you start spending a bit more you don't always want to be dropping £100+ on a bottle you may or may not like, it's probably a good idea to try a glass before if you can. Yes it's expensive, but probably not as expensive as a £100+ mistake

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, don't hate me, but for my first bottle I bought this

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Highland-Black-Scotch-Whisky-A.jpg?o=Dqlc2YHqovgNLonT69wsLTW73V8j&V=hG1W

It was only £13 and the reviews were quite good. I tried it neat and was pleasantly surprised, I could drink it with no burn. Then I tried it with a tiny dribble of water, a teaspoon full, which seemed to make it a bit better tasting. I will investigate further tonight.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you enjoy it, who gives a shit Thinking

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
if you enjoy it, who gives a shit Thinking

How can you say that in a thread as pretentious as this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:19 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Pig Hog wrote:

I'll add a caveat, here in London there are a lot of places that have incredible selections. When you start spending a bit more you don't always want to be dropping £100+ on a bottle you may or may not like, it's probably a good idea to try a glass before if you can. Yes it's expensive, but probably not as expensive as a £100+ mistake

Yeah, agreed. Trying something at a bar is a great way to find out if you fancy a whole bottle before splashing out but in respect of enjoying a whisky that I already know I like, I don't believe this is the way forward.

I did try a classic laddie at a bar and now it's on my list to buy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5