Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Take what you wish from it.
"The Point" was, and remains, there is a direct conflict between safety and speed.
Doesn't matter how you try and wrap up the wordage; if you are trying to go fast enough that 'The Limits' are in question, you are NOT doing anything to make things any 'safer'.
If you want to explore "The Limits", go ahead... just DON'T try and kid me, yourself or any-one else, that it is in ANY WAY in the interests of 'safety'... or come crying when the plot goes to pot and you learn the lesson the hard way.

There's a tight corner on my way home, by experimentation i know that I can take it at 45 (dry road warm tyres), a full 15mph below the speed limit for the road. So what should I be doing? taking it at 25mph because speed=danger? and I should in no way find out how fast is too fast?

Just stop man

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:51 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he autistic?

He'd have a field day watching us lot drifting the cars on track. "JUST GO ROUND NORMALLY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE" + 6000 other words to bulk it out a bit.

Edit - perhaps that's a bit harsh. But my first thought when I decided to ride a motorbike on track certainly wasn't "I hope this is safe". It's a dangerous hobby and that's part of the fun for me. The same way I enjoy throwing myself down a mountain on skiis, of course it's not safe.

If I want to improve my lap times round Donnington I have to push my self past the point of what I feel is safe. As I discover that there is room for more lean angle and speed through a certain corner I'll set that point as my new "safe zone". Then I'll push it again until eventually I'll have a little slide into the kitty litter and learn my lesson.

Safety really isn't one of my concerns when straddling an engine with wheels and a fuel tank next to my balls.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

Safety really isn't one of my concerns when straddling an engine with wheels and a fuel tank next to my balls.

And while that's great for a lot of bikers, it's not for others.

I didn't learn to ride, and then buy a bike, to go fast or go on a track, or put myself in an overly dangerous situation. Different strokes and all that.

In other news, I can empathise with the OP, I've been riding a 'big' bike since the beginning of December, and gradually gaining confidence while doing so - learning what the bike, or more accurately what I am comfortable and capable of when riding. Specifically, cornering. Straight lines, slow control, awareness etc are all part of this learning process, but by far the most difficult to improve for me is going around bends and not shitting it.

Seems to me that gradual practise is the way forward, and i'm looking forward to getting back in touch with the training school so I can have someone who knows tell me (and SHOW me) what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with a garage full of bikes and a transit van. He is a year or two younger than me and an order of magnitude madder. He gave me a lift across a favourite bit of back road to make a delivery. There is a long straight followed by a nice sweeping bend in the distance. he is cursing the lack of speed of the transit.

"So how fast would you take your bandit through that bend?"

"This way, slow, 50? Other way, still accelerating and not looking at the clocks"

(makes yorkshire noise) "one twenny on the r1 easy. Why are you so slow?"

"tractor"

"yeah but when you've grown a pair and overtaken it?"

"TRACTOR!"

We find out the limits of breaking and steering of a transit as a tractor emerges from field into road on exit of bend there is a long silence.

"How'd you see that so far off?"

"It was kicking up dust, wouldn't have seen it if it were any less dry, I can't see through the bend this way, visibility is better from the other direction"

Knowing one's own limit of skill and the limits of bike performance are different. On the road any bike has the potential to be lethal if the rider makes a bad decision. There are tractors, blind bends, road furniture, occasional wondering deer, and all kinds of stupid. Being able to stop in the road that you can see to be clear is a thing. It's a bit different on track.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2