Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnacle Potato
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:26 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
Barnacle Potato wrote:

I'm not blaming them for my crash at the end of the day the crash was due to me, it's annoying that it could've been saved by the request that I asked for being fulfilled. In regards to the crash itself, it was on a blind corner covered in mud which neither me or my friend where able to stop quick enough for. My bike slip and I went head first into a wall.
https://imgur.com/a/MSei5

It wouldn't have been saved. You'd have still come off. As per someone said a few posts back, the crash bungs could have done more damage than good - could have flipped the bike, could have bent / cracked the engine casing which could have written the thing off.

Glad you're ok, but you have messed up. You took a brand new bike, went on a spank round the country lanes and lost. If having crash bungs on was a deal breaker for you why not just take it easy until they were on, or put them on yourself - like I said above, 10 minutes and an allen key.

I think you need to be careful what you say publicly. If you said some Honda dealer up north etc etc then fine but publicly naming and shaming a dealer isn't going to get you many brownie points in their eyes - bet someone who works there reads this board. It's ultimately your word against theirs - unless they record phone calls and you can get hold of the conversation on freedom of information? End of the day, you weren't happy but went ahead anyway. Not sure what anyone on here can add regardless of how much of a tosser the dealers were.

Okay I agree with that

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience buying a new bike Reply with quote

Barnacle Potato wrote:
This is my review originally posted on my blog page but I decided to also
post this on North West Honda Wigan's Facebook page and all that was said is "it is what it is" They didn't even offer the money back from my licence that they wrongfully took.

So, my Honda Horror Story begins on my search to find my first brand new bike, as you guys know I look at all reviews and every positive and negative on something before I buy. I decided on the Honda CBR 650F after extensive research between other brands and models I knew this was the right choice for me. I chose Blackpool Honda as the dealership to go to being the closest to my home town. During my visit I was immediately discouraged from buying from them after listing the extras I wanted with my bike and being told they cannot be done for example, powder coated rims. Also the salesman I was speaking to told me a didn't know the price of an exhaust I was interested in, he said that there was a £600 difference from the website and just told me I'm wrong.
So after being rudely spoken to in Blackpool I decided maybe Wigan isn't much further so I thought I’d see if they would sort out my added extras with decent salesmanship. As I pulled up to Honda late one night there were two people locking up and bringing the last bike inside. They came up to me and said we are free to come in and look around which was a great first impression knowing that they'd wait behind for me, a potential buying customer to give great service. I sat down with the salesman, told him everything I wanted and was told YES! It can be done. Thrilled by the service given at that point I put down my deposit there and then. From there my experience went downhill...
I put my license in with the finance just for the ease of everything being done in one place, this is the start of my nightmare with Honda. Going with the riding school with Honda is an absolute joke, now don't get me wrong the instructors themselves are fantastic, great riders, know what they're talking about, answer any questions and do everything for you to help you pass. The problem is getting hold of the instructors of the riding school and bikes available for learning. I rang Honda twice a day to arrange my module 1 because I couldn't wait the 2 month period I decided to book cancellations which they said were fine. Every cancellation that came up I rang twice a day so I wasn't pestering them frequently, but every time I was told no instructor was in the dealership so they would give me a call back. Over the week I was ringing I didn't get one, not even one phone call back. For my module 2 it became ridiculous, I was getting furious at not being able to book my test, I went just over 2 weeks of ringing up on average 3 times a day to speak to an instructor and yet again always told I'd get a call back but never did. In fact I did get a call from an instructor... a week after I passed and had my bike saying they were told to give me a call back. So of about 50 phone calls 1 phone call back somewhat late I'd say not too bad. Now on with the bikes which I was learning on, I had 3 lessons always with another learner. Lesson 1 I was on a 125CC for half of the time, lesson 2 I was on a 125CC for 2 of the 3 hours and on my last I finally got it for a full lesson myself.
Another problem with this whole license included in the finance is that I basically in total had 2 full lessons, which is all that I did. 2 Lessons cost me £600, I paid for all my tests myself and was told I would be given any extra back but 3 months down the line I've heard nothing as well as phoning them up again and the salesman wan't available so still waiting on that phone call.
I received a phone call at work one day by one of the salesman and asked about when I was coming into the dealership to sign the finance agreement. I said that I will be signing the agreement on the 1st of the month so I get paid before the money comes out my bank. Suddenly his tone changes and he shouts down the phone yelling he's worked hard to get me the bike in for when I wanted "you're telling us you want your bike and now you want to put it off? Which is it?" This is what a paying customer gets bearing in mind that the date at this point is only the 29th, just wanted to wait 2 days. After he calmed down a bit he explained that the reason he wanted me to sign it was because I have to sign for the bike before it comes off the delivery truck at Honda. He picked me up from work that day as I had no other transport to get to him he offered to take me there and back. After I signed my finance and got dropped off back at work I found out that I didn't need to sign it first, my friend who purchased a bike with me at the same time signed his a week after they got it and another friend who bought from Blackpool Honda didn't sign his first either. Goes to show how far a Salesman will go for his own commission and now I'm paying on the 29th of each month.
So the bike was officially financed thought I may as well just finish it off, can't get much worse right? The salesman told me that the bike would be ready for when I passed my Module 2 and not surprising it wasn't. From the day I put my deposit down to that day I came to collect my bike I always said I want some parts on my bike before I ride it away. I came in 3 times before my module 1 to tell them what I wanted and after I passed my Module 1 I went back to the dealership and said forget everything all I want is crash protectors. I came back into store roughly 6 times before I came to collect my bike explaining profusely that I need the crash protectors on before I ride it away and even offered to pay there and then every time. All they will say is "we'll sort it" That's what I was told every time I went in and I rang up a couple of days before picking up my bike and was told that they carry them in stock so it doesn't matter.
So the day comes, over the moon I have my license, getting the bike I really wanted and worked hard for and obviously still no crash protectors. I explained to them that I said they needed to be on and I was told not to worry about it, I don't need them it's not like I'm going to drop it. The point is I am a customer who wants to buy something for my bike and they won't let me, also nobody chooses to drop their bike or crash it's merely an unfortunate thing that can happen – and can be very expensive not to have them.
So no crash protectors, had my bike 2 weeks and the inevitable happens. I crashed. I was in a bad way myself, plenty of broken bones but all the damage to the bike was on the side. Roughly £1000 worth of damage which would've easily been avoided by crash protectors and even had my bike booked in at a local bike garage that week to get them fitted.
So that sums up my Honda Horror Story, from my experience I would most likely never buy from Honda again even though a Honda Fireblade is my dream bike. No matter what you buy and where it's from you expect good service so when spending a lot of money you want excellent service which I just wasn't given. I spent a lot of my time searching for cancellations and phoning Honda to try and arrange lessons and seeing if they are available for my test which could've easily been avoided if someone who is always in the dealership has a copy of the instructor's schedule.

Wall of text! Aaaaaaaaaaargh! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnacle Potato wrote:
During my visit I was immediately discouraged from buying from them after listing the extras I wanted with my bike and being told they cannot be done for example, powder coated rims.

New bikes come with powder-coated wheels these days, but I think it's unlikely a dealership would have powder-coating facilities anyway.

Unless there's an options list the sales department are only really interested in getting bikes off the showroom floor. If you want some additional customisation you'd normally go back to the service department after taking ownership.

Barnacle Potato wrote:
I said that I will be signing the agreement on the 1st of the month so I get paid before the money comes out my bank. Suddenly his tone changes and he shouts down the phone yelling he's worked hard to get me the bike in for when I wanted "you're telling us you want your bike and now you want to put it off? Which is it?" This is what a paying customer gets bearing in mind that the date at this point is only the 29th, just wanted to wait 2 days.

The salesman was probably counting on your purchase to meet his sales target for that month, and you wanted to delay until the next month. Still no excuse for rudeness though.

Regarding the training complaint perhaps you should raise it with Honda UK's head office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wall of text not good.
no paint diagram ,really?
google earth view of the crashsite,so we can laugh at how you fell off doing 30 ish.
partway round a 30mph bend,either you were going to fast or you were not looking where you were going.
left or right hand curve?

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes Northwest Honda Wigan branch, I had experiences with them when i bought my 300 new, Bike was not ready on the agreed day of collection 19.07.15, still in Blackpool when purchased a week before at Wigan.
Bike would not start when finally collected on Sunday, dead battery I was told, picked up Monday with (alleged) new battery, put battery on CTEK charger and took 6 hours to charge.
Delivery miles 9.5 seem excessive considering below wasn’t checked when i got the bike home.
Tyre pressures 20lbs (should be 29lbs)
Chain slack 40mm (should be 25- 30mm)
First service at Blackpool Honda same group, £100 and the chain was tight at 20mm when i got home. Thought about changing the bike after 12 months with about 6k on it, they offered me £1800 half of what i paid, 3 others offered £2300 part ex today with 9k on it.
Needless to say I wont purchase anything from them now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:57 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't understand why you'd expect anything else.

Look at the number of people in a main dealer. Look at the size of the place, and imagine the rates, utilities and maintenance costs. Think half a million a year and sharply upwards to run one, and that's not turnover, that's profit. That's a couple of grand each and every day, 6 days a week.

If you get out without bleeding profusely from the wallet, count yourself lucky.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
...or you were not looking where you were going.

or he was looking where he was going... the wall Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or:
Barnacle Potato wrote:
In regards to the crash itself, it was on a blind corner covered in mud which neither me or my friend where able to stop quick enough for.

This is why I don't enjoy riding in company; it's far too easy to assume that the lemming in front knows where he's going.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you recover soon OP, however....

I call for a custard test of this ZX10r track bike.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
As per someone said a few posts back, the crash bungs could have done more damage than good - could have flipped the bike, could have bent / cracked the engine casing which could have written the thing off.

Hmm. Have been thinking of fitting some to my own machine, actually... so does the smart money reckon that in fact they are inappropriate for road use?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fit them for road use, on the basis that they've helped me in low speed drops, which are more likely than a proper ditchfinder.

It's all risk gambling though, you'll doubtless find someone who's had their bike wrecked in a drop by a bung bending the frame, or turned a slide into a flip.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
SuperMike wrote:
As per someone said a few posts back, the crash bungs could have done more damage than good - could have flipped the bike, could have bent / cracked the engine casing which could have written the thing off.

Hmm. Have been thinking of fitting some to my own machine, actually... so does the smart money reckon that in fact they are inappropriate for road use?

Like Rogerborg, I've got a set that came on the bike and they've saved me a fortune and much crying over smashed plastics from a couple of topples and a low speed slide along ice.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Look at the number of people in a main dealer. Look at the size of the place, and imagine the rates, utilities and maintenance costs. Think half a million a year and sharply upwards to run one, and that's not turnover, that's profit. That's a couple of grand each and every day, 6 days a week.

Always, always buy from a bloke in a pub. Wink
What's the worst that could happen?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:

You might wake up hog-tied over a barrel, being given a relentless pounding lecture on the merits of the Honda Benley?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:49 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
155mph wrote:

being given a relentless pounding lecture

Just make sure you don't buy from Tef then surely Laughing

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really sound like an experienced ZX10R track day god, you come across as someone who has bought a brand spanking new mid range bike, passed his test then binned it within a couple of weeks when his talent ran out. And you don't seem to realise that crash bobbins aren't the saviour of the world either.

Besides, don't most track day providers require you to have a full licence before they let you on the track...???

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge, throbbing need for custard test.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
You don't really sound like an experienced ZX10R track day god, you come across as someone who has bought a brand spanking new mid range bike, passed his test then binned it within a couple of weeks when his talent ran out. And you don't seem to realise that crash bobbins aren't the saviour of the world either.

Besides, don't most track day providers require you to have a full licence before they let you on the track...???

https://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhszy0xP4Y1qdl3gj.png

Rogerborg wrote:
I fit them for road use, on the basis that they've helped me in low speed drops, which are more likely than a proper ditchfinder.

It's all risk gambling though, you'll doubtless find someone who's had their bike wrecked in a drop by a bung bending the frame, or turned a slide into a flip.

Or someone who they've not helped at all (like me). £100 bungs the previous owner said they needed before even riding the bike:

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/28509611.jpg
Dead stop, bike falls over, scratched tank (also knocked out of alignment) on right side.

https://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/15/13/82/47/img_0310.jpg
20 mph slide down the road...

Also fell over with the bike whilst working on it... yep there was damage. Personally I won't be buying any Smile

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:46 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked in there not long after they opened, as it has only been there about a year now or so and got the scope of what they were about just pottering around for 10 minutes and left and haven't been back in since.

You can't blame them for the damage to your bike Laughing Laughing Laughing

A friend of mine who had only been riding for 4 months before he went to a dealer to get a tyre fitted, left and crashed 1/2 mile later because he hadn't warmed the tyre up and it was shiny shiny, tried to blame the dealer for it Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2