Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike maintenance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

Hi guys , Im after some advice on motorbike maintenance. I prematurely bought myself a Harley Davidson 1200 sportster [1991] [didn't want to lose it ]before taking my full motorbike test [like you do ] and have now owned it for 6 weeks or so. Im currently having lessons but am still a few weeks away from my test. The bike is stored in my garage on a battery trickle charger and a tube heater underneath the bike. Should I do anything else to the bike to keep it in order for the first BIG RIDE ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:
a tube heater underneath the bike.

https://i.imgur.com/9zJHcGa.png?1

I... wow. Just... OK.

I'd fill the tank up to help prevent water condensation inside it. Other than that.... no. No, I wouldn't worry about it for 6 weeks.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/images/misc/header-footer-sitemap-etc/safe_image_1.png https://pix.iemoji.com/images/emoji/apple/ios-9/256/heavy-plus-sign.png https://rs215.pbsrc.com/albums/cc280/bleurgh_bucket/facepalm.jpg~c200

Seriously, dude's been here months and he still hasn't found the Workshop.
I guess he spent all his time lovingly warming and caressing his Harley and overlooked the whole section? Thinking

This thread is redundant anyway, being in storage is a natural state for a Harley.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbikes aren't cold blooded Very Happy With the battery taken care of I wouldn't worry about anything else. If it's still there in 6 months maybe change the petrol before you ride it.

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:18 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: commuter _Tim Reply with quote

Some thots for Tim. Im not one joining for clubs and forums etc but I joined this one as I was thinking about getting a motorbike and thinking it might be a good place get some useful information about bikes and meeting like minded people. I think ive been on here 3 or 4 times up till now as was waiting till I actually had a bike and passed my test before getting "involved". Ive asked a couple of questions and now have a motorbike tho not passed my test yet and already I've got someone taking the p--s Tim. I thot the idea of forums was to share knowledge and to Spread the Word.
Either CT is a Harley Hater or just a bore with a chip on his shoulder who rides his bike badly .

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: commuter _Tim Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:
Some thots for Tim. Im not one joining for clubs and forums etc but I joined this one as I was thinking about getting a motorbike and thinking it might be a good place get some useful information about bikes and meeting like minded people. I think ive been on here 3 or 4 times up till now as was waiting till I actually had a bike and passed my test before getting "involved". Ive asked a couple of questions and now have a motorbike tho not passed my test yet and already I've got someone taking the p--s Tim. I thot the idea of forums was to share knowledge and to Spread the Word.
Either CT is a Harley Hater or just a bore with a chip on his shoulder who rides his bike badly .

...What are "thots"? Thinking

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: commuter _Tim Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:

If your after a forum that pats you on the back all pally like and talks about the "brotherhood" this aint it.
If however you have a thick skin and can take a joke then hang around.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you heating your Massey Ferguson... sorry... Girls version of a Harley... up in your garage?

Better way would be to take it outside

...and set fire to it. Middle Finger

Lighten up kid.

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massey Ferguson ??? Thot [thought ] it was a Harley Worth It Son.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike maintenance Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:
Should I do anything else to the bike to keep it in order for the first BIG RIDE ?

Better safe than sorry.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/touring-models/103565d1268965717-anyone-had-to-repair-theyre-guardian-bell-img_6307.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:55 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding Dong .

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:

Wut?

Gosties
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry about the gentle ribbing about your motorcycle.

I ride a 125 at the moment which for some is a subject of derision.
I had a Chinese 125 which also is another stick to get beat up over.

I believe BMW riders get as much winding up about their motorcycles as Harley riders.
Their seems to be loads of divisions of "Nazi Tractors" in my local area.

Although I'm surprised no one has mentioned buying "Chaps" to go with your motorcycle Tut Tut Tut Tut Tut Tut

Just get out and enjoy your motorcycle.

On the little bike who tries !!!!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:19 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
njwnjwnjw wrote:

Wut?

Wot?

kerr wrote:
If your after a forum that pats you on the back all pally like and talks about the "brotherhood" this aint it.

You want https://www.gbbikers.co.u- awwww. Crying or Very sad

OP, if you're going to live the Harley life, you'd better be prepared for a ribbing. They're slow, heavy, expensive, comically outdated bikes, most of which are bought new by dentists and accountants who've watched too much Sons of Anarchy and like to join MCCs with loads of rules and put patches all over their cuts to pretend that they're in a real MC.

Likewise, sportsbikes are all owned by delusional Rossi wannabes with far more ego than talent, adventure bikes are for sad Ewan-and-Thingy fantasists, cafe/flat track/scramblers are for hipster fashion victims, scooters are for metrosexuals and so on.

If you're going to get genuinely huffy that we're not interested in Spreading the Word, then BCF might not be the place for you. If you're more into honour, brotherhood, respect, and all that, then https://www.youtube.com/user/DibberInTheWind/videos may be more your speed.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I love Harleys/Cruisers as well, the growl, the seating position and probably because I
Rogerborg wrote:
watched too much Sons of Anarchy
but I know it's not ideal/practical for my use and where I live.

But I know as most of the guys have already said, cruisers don't get an easy ride on BCF (see what I did there Whistle ) and it's something you have to expect. Look past the gentle trolling of your choice of motorcycle and you'll get a good share of knowledge and it will be a good platform for you to spread the knowledge too.

At the end of the day, YOU ride YOUR motorcycle, so make sure YOU like it. That's all that matters really.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
YOU ride YOUR motorcycle

Low blow. Tut Tut

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

kerr wrote:

You want https://www.gbbikers.co.u- awwww. Crying or Very sad

I didn't say i didn't like it

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should leave Spreading the Word to Yahweh Witnessers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:33 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys .Im now in the zone . [ps WTF is a chaps?]

pikey666
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:07 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One and a half hours and that hasn't made this thread go nsfw, BCF I am disappoint. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

njwnjwnjw wrote:
cheers guys .Im now in the zone . [ps WTF is a chaps?]

leather things that cowboys wear

also the gay biker in village people Thumbs Up

njwnjwnjw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:53 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ,I remember them now..I thot it was a bank transfer or summat.

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your keyboard missing u g and h

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:17 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thot I'd ask

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtisme wrote:
is your keyboard missing u g and h

That's no good. Oh, look, a Harley....ugh! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2