BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wondering if bike riding is for me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:13 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions either way on the Honda CB125F?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure swapping bikes is the answer
your CBT sounded like a struggle and that was pre Eliminator

If you jumped on say a CG125 and rode it like you stole it, fine
but somehow I dont think that's going to happen.

Your anxiety and lack of confidence is the issue IMO
I'm not being critical, I've seen two of my lads go through CBT in the last few years
and have real sympathy for new riders learning to cope in today busy roads.
It can be scary out there!

Years ago I was a driving instructor in London and had all types from fearless to panicky.
Before going on the road I'd often start pupils by getting them to sit and go through all
the controls over and over again with eyes shut and did similar with the lads on their bikes.
I often do this myself on a new to me bike

My advice FWIW:
Stick with the Eliminator for now unless there is some genuine physical
reason its unsuitable
Pick your battles/rides and practise practise practise
Dont do 1 sweaty ride a week, better to have multiple short rides
Finding a carpark or industrial site to play on is great advice
as it helps you get to know the bike and relax into it before dealing with traffic

When controlling the bike isnt an exhausting conscious effort
dealing with traffic situations is so much easier, stress drops and it starts to get fun.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
So, time to do a bit of research! Next weekend I'm visiting a local shop to have a sit on a few and to see what feels right. I think I might need to source a lowered seat or find somewhere that can do it for me, so any recommendations (I'm on Hampshire/Berkshire/Surrey border) please send them this way! Smile

Mrs Angry and I got both our bikes from The Motorbike Shop in Farnborough - probably not too far from you. Plenty of bikes (new and used) mainly indoors, if you like Yamahas anyway. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I mention them because they have a lot of bikes under one roof. Alternatives are Hatfields (Honda) in Crowthorne or Woking Yamaha.

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lies? Bad example?

Blasphemery!

Can't imagine how many motorway miles ol' RJ did to square his tyres but from memory mine were perfectly firm and nicely rounded. *no sniggering at the back.

I certainly don't recall any issues flicking it round corners anyway.

Of course the VV is in no way perfect, and there will always be faults/niggles/perceived issues with any 125 (Varadero notwithstanding), but for a bike to learn on the VV is perfectly capable. Okay, as long as you don't mind topping out at 60 (65 with a decent run up, or 72 with hurricane Bawbag at your back). Being the first bike I rode post CBT I can't say I noticed any issues with the balloon tyres or struggling on corners. If anything it felt more stable/planted on the road than the ubiquitous CBT YBR with skinny tyres I wobbled around the yard on. Biggest bugbear with the Suzuki by far was the fuel tank being the size of a gnat's bladder if I'm honest.

Still, different strokes for different folks. *I said stop that sniggering.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Spamalittle wrote:
Suzuki VanVan all the way.

https://i.imgur.com/VlvAmyh.png

Lies? Bad example? Source.

No that's bollocks. I did almost 10k on my VanVan and knew it inside out. The tyres do not affect the handling in any way that impedes its handling. I ran an '87 Honda CB125TDE in parallel - a bike with slender wheels/tyres - and it didn't ride in a way that was noticeably more accurate or nimble. Put about 7k on that one. Some days I'd ride the Suzuki, others the CB. They both handled properly.

I'm adamant about this - the tyres on the vanvan don't make its steering feel cumbersome or create any other even remotely problematic issues. They *do* add to the comfort though. But make no mistake - these bikes will steer quickly and positively with little effort, and they will also creep and trickle with as much if not more stability than your average sensible 125 - be it CG or YBR.

I had several friends ride my vanvan - one an inveterate CG owner, who assumed the tyres would prove somehow problematic. He had to confess they didn't, after a couple of miles.

The vanvan is a decent bike, and definitely has a fun factor lacking in many other 125s. However it can prove sluggish and while it will respond to the spurs, and do so seemingly quite eagerly, I often felt a bit cruel.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:29 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - rather than gambling on a random 125 that may or may not help you out, why not get some 125 lessons first? CBT part 2. Give it a couple of sessions to see if a different bike feels better before going through the hassle of selling and buying.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
[RJ rode a Van Van with flat tyres]

Gotchya.

Rupertina wrote:

It's too soon to tell, but the lack of horror threads about it is probably a good sign.

It's just another cheap commuter hack with a Honda badge on it imported from the mysterious Orient. I wouldn't expect it to be significantly better (or worse) than a YBR or CBF125 to ride, although I'd hope it'll resist the tin worm better than the Indian made CBF, which I'd actively avoid for that reason.

I wouldn't particularly seek out a CB125F, but if there's one available cheap, it'd probably worth a look. Bear in mind that even a nearly-new one is now an obsolete bike and that Honda dealers will have plenty of pre-registered examples to shift at the moment, so I do mean cheap.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
[RJ rode a Van Van with flat tyres]

Gotchya.

Is that what he says (or was it in the comments)? I didn't watch the UL. Or did you surmise that?

If the latter it was something I did wonder myself. Have you ridden a bike with soft tyres? I'd be surprised if you hadn't at some stage. I certainly have. It was early days of my cb500 - I was out on it before test was passed, one dark lonely night, on the desolate back lanes here. As you do. Embarassed

Holy shite it was tram lining like a erm, well, a tram. I thought okay wow so big bikes are going to be this stupidly hard to ride, are they?? Not sure I can hack it. I did soon suss out wtf was going on, thank fuck.

However, thinking back, I'm not sure the vanvan was actually THAT fussy. Iirc book psi front and back was only 18. And 12 didn't feel TOO bad. But go down a proportionate degree from book pressure of 30 on the 500 to 20 and it's just horrible. Almost unrideable. So - maybe not PSI-related after all? Confused

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
OP - rather than gambling on a random 125 that may or may not help you out, why not get some 125 lessons first? CBT part 2. Give it a couple of sessions to see if a different bike feels better before going through the hassle of selling and buying.

+1 Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
But if you know that you can get on with an MSX and you enjoyed it, I'd be looking for reasons not to get one. Used examples seem to be holding their value pretty well and owners love them. Even just throwing my leg over one made me grin like a loon.

I didn't expect just how vulnerable you feel on one. It's like a bmx bike, just saying a small bike with small wheels wouldn't help my confidence on the road Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:

Our opinions, as far as a bike are concerned, are probably irrelevant.

Brand new, they should do what it says on the box, and f you have any issues, you take t back to the man in the shop.... WHICH when it comes to the warranty, could be a source of consternation, depending on expectations ad dealer attitudes, which are often largely disparate.... but oft down to pot luck how much at odds they may be, and how many niggles a bike might actually develop....

Honda, whilst they probably have the most comprehensive after-market support, have for some years been trying to skim the market. Thirty years ago, they had more bikes in their catalog under 250cc than all the other makers offered, between them, in ANY capacity..... Following the folly of the Brit-Bike makers in the 60's they have entrenched into the 'big bike market', and dropped almost all their lightweight models.. which would usually not be given the same levels of service at the dealers, anyway. Devolving production of their smaller models out of Japan, to satellite plants, in Spain or Turkey, India, China and other developng Asian ecconomies, has seen significant drop in quality control, to give even more reason for them to cause consternation at the dealers.....

125 market in its entirety is a bit Hobson's choice, and Honda DO set the bench-mark for aftermarket support. And as far as the CBF125 goes, when I was trying to convince Snowie to do a 'big-bike' project for when she had got her licence, I did try and tempt her away from basket cases taking her into the local Honda Dealer's, where the CBF was the 'favorite', and I would have stumped up for. They sell a lot to bike-schools, and where they do, dealer support for them can be that bit more sympathetic...

Otherwise; it's an accademic issue, and the alternatve s a Yamaha YBR, which I frequently vaunt, as THE bench-mark 125 Learner/Commuter. build quality on them, is probably no worse than on a CBF, but owner expectations of a non-honda probably do more to close the gap between buyers and sellers... but they have less dealers, and less big dealers, and whilst they may stil have the support, no good of it's fifty miles away!

To my mind there's still nadgers difference practically between the Yamaha and the Honda, to say why one might depending on the day discounts be worth the extra £100ish between them on the sticker price.

Second hand? CONDITION IS ALL. Moment these things get wheeled out the show room, whatever the pundits that tested them when new might have said, is rendered pretty much redundant by whatever use and abuse the former owner has given any actual individual motorcycle, before offering it up for sale.

So, the conclusion is, DONT ASK US! Go look at actual real bikes, NOT the web-reviews! Poke,prod, sit on, start engines, rev'em and if you can try riding them round the block. Whether from private seller or a dealer; way up the man (or woman!) wanting your money. Are you going to get a straight deal? Do you LIKE the bike you are looking at?

What WE think really is of little importance. WE wont be looking at it when there's a wad of cash in the offing, nor having to ride it after. YOU will!

BUT.. whilst you appear to have accepted the eliminate the eliminator advice, and are out to find something 'better'....

You know with a Ride-What-You-Like-Licence you can RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE... no one takes it off you if you don't buy something at least 500cc's within six weeks! You can ride a 125 on a full licence just as happily as you can ride any other bike.....

Confidence has been flagged up as the key issue here, and whilst a more 'useful' 125 is likely to help.... going it alone on the roads, on a 125, isn't necessarily the best way t 'learn'. It's the school of hard knocks, and doesn't do anything to teach you the best way to do stuff, just punishes you with hard knocks when you get it very wrong.

Remember, its not just experience you need to build confidence, but GOOD experience..

Going it alone, biting back all the fear and worry JUST to get on the bike, and ride it, and get back, shaking happy to have just survived, WILL NOT go a very long way to offering that good experience, it WILL just keep re-enforcing your fears AND associating them with the bike, making it an effort to get o each time, just to cover old ground.

Swapping out the entuder then is only tackling part of the problem. To go forwards and get 'ood' experience you NEED to go talk to that instructor, and draw up a 'plan' to suit what you need, to get that 'good' experience, and ultimately get a licence for it!

When I instructed, I used to get a lot of the more nervous newbies, and usually women, and on 125's, as you could sill take tests for RWYL licence on one back then. BUT... basic format, was weekly evening lessons 'about' two hours a time, after CBT (much as WD suggests, little and often) And many didn't treat t as a 'lesson' but a 'club ride'! That shift in attitude IS all important... doing it FOR the fun, first and learning along the way. Plenty of time twixt lessons to digest the lesson and practice on your own time what was taught lesson, knowing you could come back next week, and ask any questions about it, and not have to do it all in one go, all at once in the time booked for 'the course'. AND, we usually got students from CBT to a full licence, in about ten lessons; 8-hour CBT on a Sunday, and eight or nine two hour evening rides after; less than 20 hours 'all n' including CBT and test.. and many did it sooner than that, but even the most wanting rarely took more than 12 weeks.. and usually if they did, it wasn't for lack of lessons, but not getting their theory test done, or muffing test on shear eves. EVEN the the most nervous, least confidence riders, could usually e coaxed through the whole process in under 15 weeks, from start to finish....

That style of training, these days is now rare, and intensive courses the more common... BUT, as I keep sayng, you need to talk to your instructor about it, and what they ca do for you... NOT US!

DAS courses are expensive, and a lot of that is paying for supervision time to let you be on a bike you cant ride solo on L's, which does tend to ramp the costs, making practice time billable. BUT.

Stuggling on CBT to get the ticket... as sad, many do, there is an awful lot in that course to take in in one go... BUT you got it.

No real reason, you cant have a crack at doing that on a 'big-bike'... the big i only in the size of hole in the engine where fire happens, remember... bikes with bigger fire holes in their engine, needn't be any bigger or heaver every where else, and many aren't or at least not much.

So, returning to the schoola and havig a crack at some 'post CBT trainng', re-covering a fair bit of CBT work, POSSIBLY on a DAS bike, doesn't have to be.. but could let you have a go, in controlled off-road environment, and find out what we say about the bgger bikes often being that much 'easier' and more forgving to ride... feet on the pegs where flat-footing isn't an issue.. and what's the worst that can happen? You scratch the bash-bars... what the heck, it aint your bike! Let the school worry about that! They probably have, many many times! You dont need fix t!

But, even on a 125, it's confidence building, doing it under supervision, in controlled enviroment, with chap to set you straight and get you dong the right stuff, right at the beginning, rather than out on the roads tryng to make it up as you go along, and hope bike or road dont punish you if it's wrong! In your OWN time, no pressure to complete the day.

MAY make you re-evaluate whether you want to peruse the tiddler avenue at all, or chuck ash at complete DAS and getting the RWYL licence for it all... and even THEN... like I said, you can still choose to ride a 125, IF you want to.... And confidence you are doing most stuff right, seconded and motion passed by man with clipboard, 'confidence' may still not be wonderful, BUT boosted to a level of known 'good' competence... and no pressure on you, to do anything to pass tests or perform for the crowd, or feel you shouldn't be doing this 'cos 'L-Plate'.

Bikes can come and go.... licences are for LIFE.. and training is for life, NOT licences..... learn to do it right right at the start, licence will come as a by-product of that, not as the objective!

As to 125's? They are little bikes, and there s usually little difference, practically, between them, though many can be ludicrousely less sensible a choice than others. And there will be more dfference levered between any of them by prior owner use and abuse, than what brand name is n the tank, and the small print n the warranty! More still, when you start adding your own use and abuse to that toll!

DONT sweat the sall stuff, and bikes, more so small bikes ARE small stuff. Bike's last thing you need, really. Worry about that training, and getting a licence.

Get trained, licence follows, bikes follow that, all as par for. Fret about the bike, training gets forgotten, licence become a big deal, and NOTHING tends to go forwards. Get the ducks a row, ad tackle the thing most likely to make most difference.... first.... training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:17 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise for Mike's monomaniacal inability to understand that he can't berate you into enjoying yourself.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If op thinks bike riding is scary they ashould just stop in and read ALL of teflon mikes posts

By then the cbt will have run out and bikes will be banned anyway so problem solved
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:34 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've skipped past tefs post intending to read it later....Don't bother.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the suzuki eqivalent of the eliminator, the gz125 marauder. Actually I had two over the course of a year because I broke one. Turning circle was awful but I scraped an old-rules 33bhp pass on one. The handling was a bit shit and it was uncomfortable on long trips, but I had loads of fun.

I also had a crisis or two about whether bikes were for me. My best friend is a few years older than me and appears to have been hanger-on to a group of ratbikers and tried very very hard to put me off because he thought I was going to be another one of his scare stories. I dropped my first bike on wet leaves leaving his house a few weeks after I got it. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a night sleeping on the sofa and a hammer in the morning.

I nearly had a big one a few months later. Fortunately I missed the car that pulled out on me. I just wasn't on the bike for the duration of the evasion. The hardest part of that was my partner was doing the school run and came past the scene.

I questioned myself hard. My partner knew what the idea of riding meant to me and was very supportive. If she hadn't been I'd not be riding now.

I had a hard time of my mod 1, stupid mistakes and an inappropriate bike. Mistakes like long hair caught in the velcro of my jacket stupid.

I thought my way through my issues. I practised my control issues. I still practice emergency stops on quiet bits of road, but it's a few every month now rather than up and down the cul-de-sac I used to live on doing slaloms, emergency stops and u-turns before or after every ride.

I replaced kit that was uncomfortable. I spend too much money on helmets that have features that make me feel secure, a good pinlock (anti-fog device) and internal sun visor, visor mechanism that works properly.

5 and a half years down the line, I've got a slightly boring 600, bits of advanced training, a motorcycle first aid certificate, I'm doing reasonably high mileages and I still don't have a car. It's stuck. But it wasn't always easy.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 231 days between these two posts...

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:33 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update as I valued your input at the beginning of the year when I was having a wobble about bike riding in general.

Soo.... I ended up getting a Honda MSX and having a stern word with myself about WANTING to do this...

I recently booked my DAS course (which starts tomorrow, or later today as it's gone midnight) and MADE myself get out on the bike and I'm pleased to say that my nerves are far more under control - it's more of a 'feel the fear and do it anyway' type of thing now - but sometimes there's no fear at all. I've been riding to/from work by myself, have managed not to be too fazed by idiot drivers in rush hour, tackled complex junctions and dual carriageways as fast as the bike will take me (61mph downhill!) and have been going out with my husband in the evenings whilst talking through the journey on two-way comms. A HUGE amount of progress and dare I say it (whispers) I'm actually enjoying getting out on the bike!

So, in hindsight, I will say that my main issues were;
a) wrong kind of bike post CBT
b) the wrong instructor - a 'no nonsense' instructor is all well and good as long as they are somewhat encouraging as well - funnily enough I heard some interesting feedback about his style from someone else who knew him!
c) not getting out there ASAP after completing the CBT so the basics weren't fresh in my mind and I let anxiety build

I'm a bit nervous about starting the DAS training, but I'll keep reminding myself of the end goal and that I'm doing this for fun and hopefully (fingers crossed for me please dear readers!) it'll all turn out well Smile

R x

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:58 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerves are good, but don't be too nervous. Try to have fun. You will have moments where you feel "Fuck this, I can't do it." You can. Take a 10 minute breather, get head in order, and carry on.

How many days are you booked in for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:00 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 days across two 2 weekends.

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:11 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of time to get used to the extra power. The first day will probably be a quick half hour learning the clutch control and handling the increased weight on a 500, then a gentle ride around the local roads. When I did mine, at first I was like "Whoa FUCK!!!" but then you get used to the slow controlling and realise that actually YOU are in charge, not the bike. It then turns in to "Fuck YEAH!!!"

You will then do a day of slow control (weaving, figure of 8s, U-turns etc) and then on to a 600. Once you then get on to the dual-carriage ways with that power underneath you, try to control that crazy grin Smile

Enjoy Wink

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck today (if you read this before your DAS) Remember, a lot of people find their first day overwhelming and struggle to get to grips with it, leaving them feeling defeated at the end of the day. Then, more often than not, go back then next day and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Moral of the story is, try not to be hard on yourself. Relax, take your time and try to enjoy the process. If it gets to much, ask for 5 mins to take a breather and go back fresh.

Well done for overcoming your fears/nerves and not being defeated so far. Take your mental techniques of overcoming this with you and you will be fine Smile. Let us know how you get on!

Enjoy!!!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did you get on a Big Girl Bike today?

Were panties wetted?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so a new rider might be better off on a bigger bike that's natural in riding position and has good ergonomics for the individual. Probably going to be some sort of naked Street bike in the 500-800cc range maybe?

But for an experienced seasoned rider of many years, and of lots different bikes, if you can't by then ride a 125 and feel safe, exploit it, and make good progress on it, then you don't know shit, and arnt much of a rider IMO.

Oh and Stinkwheel is right, but only assuming that the bike is for leisure use and not a dreary mundane daily beater to save you pennies in the pocket.

There's loads of bikes out there that I have no interest in, but some of them would still be ideal commuters to hack around on and throw them in the shed every night without any shits given.

But for a nice day impractical back lanes blaster, I'd be all over something like a Husqvarna 701 SM as just an example. Wouldn't even consider one for a work hack however.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP most likely too exhausted from combination of utter excitement, delight and abject fear, to respond today.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
OP most likely too exhausted from combination of utter excitement, delight and abject fear, to respond today.

Or crashed and is potato. Hopefully your version though.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5