Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully all went well Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
So, did you get on a Big Girl Bike today?
Were panties wetted?

That entire post is the singlemost twee thing I have EVER seen written on this forum.

I do believe Borg has been taken over by a suck pooppette
(note ironic use of frenchness to express how brutally ugly tweeness really is).

I'd keep an eye on that Borg character.
He'll be trying to get us all to wear Easter bonnets next.

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:04 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that I am not potato! Mr. Green

Sorry for not coming back sooner - for some reason I didn't get an email notification that there were any further replies to my post so I just thought you guys didn't care Laughing

Anyway - to update you on progress - I have completed 3 days of training so far. The first day, I went out with my instructor on my MSX who told me I rode it like a rocket, had lots of confidence on it and had outgrown the bike, so that afternoon, I practiced on their lowered Gladius. Did some figures of eight, starting, stopping etc and was told that if I felt comfortable, we'd go out on the road the next day.

Day 2 and 3, out on the road in the mornings and Mod 2 practice at the test centre in the afternoons. I think I'm doing okay on the road (nice to be on a bike that can handle 60 easily!), however there are a few areas I need to refine and I need to become more 'at one' with the bike, which is how I feel with the MSX.

The biggest hurdle for me is the Mod 2 stuff, I work myself up into a panic, fixate on the cones and it all starts to go a bit wrong. I'm going to be focusing on that this weekend with my instructor, we both think that once I feel more connected with the bike and confident in controlling it, everything else will slot into place.

I'm not sure I'm going to be ready to go for my test after day 5, I will bring up having an extra day or two with my instructor as I think I would feel more prepared and therefore calmer after a bit more training. I'm in no rush, I want to learn to ride properly, not wing it through my test!

Oh yes, pants are most definitely dry, no excitement whatsoever from the Gladius....it's a bit 'meh!'. Gimme chrome! Twisted Evil

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:

The biggest hurdle for me is the Mod 2 stuff, I work myself up into a panic, fixate on the cones

That's mod 1.

Quote:
Gimme chrome! Twisted Evil

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/disgusted-face.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/420453_309528092438882_1300762877_n-21.jpg

Just for you OP. Try to contain yourself.

https://media.giphy.com/media/bzSGNnooBb02c/giphy.gif

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't over-think the mod 1 test. It's not hard, and building it up into something that it's not could harm your confidence rather than helping.

You're not going to pass while you're practising, but you can learn while you're doing the test, so why not just go for it?

Heck, do it yourself on your MSX and treat it as a £15.50 practice session. Just be aware that if you fail they might block you from doing it again for 3 days on the Gladys.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
The biggest hurdle for me is the Mod 2 stuff, I work myself up into a panic, fixate on the cones and it all starts to go a bit wrong. I'm going to be focusing on that this weekend with my instructor, we both think that once I feel more connected with the bike and confident in controlling it, everything else will slot into place.

He's probably right on that one, I struggled with the (slow speed) Mod 1 stuff and a large part of that was jumping on an unfamiliar bike and heading straight onto the old tennis courts pad. On the day of the test we had a 40 mile ride to the test centre, where I got a feel for the bike, and that's the only reason why I think I passed.

Rupertina wrote:
I'm not sure I'm going to be ready to go for my test after day 5, I will bring up having an extra day or two with my instructor as I think I would feel more prepared and therefore calmer after a bit more training. I'm in no rush, I want to learn to ride properly, not wing it through my test!

I do see your point, but passing your test's only the start, you continue learning afterwards. A guy I worked with reckoned failing (and passing later on) made you a better rider/driver, I'm not sure I agree with that, as even Maureen from driving school eventually got her licence...

https://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article6248499.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Maureen-Rees.jpg

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, and im' not sure what others think, but for me, you learn how to ride once you have passed. The more you ride out in the big wide world the more experience you get and therefore learning how to properly ride.

At the moment you are just a/ learning how not to immediately kill yourself and b/ Learning how to pass the test.

Good luck with it all though, the hard work will be worth it in the end and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 23 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Wondering if bike riding is for me? Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:

Kawasaki Eliminator to practice on - I am very short (26" inside leg) and so have been limited as to which bike I could get.

....I don't think he appreciates just how hard I'm find it. I am also wondering whether the bike I have is the right choice for me, but it was a gift and the suggestion of selling it and changing it for something a bit more nimble (MSX - I did my CBT on one of these) isn't being well received.

You have your answer - sell the manual Kawa and get twist and go.

Honda PS125, SH125.

Scooters are much more easier to ride means you will get more experience riding minus the stress.

Also you will ride it more because it has more luggage space means you can go shopping on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Wondering if bike riding is for me? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
You have your answer - sell the manual Kawa and get twist and go.

Honda PS125, SH125.

Scooters are much more easier to ride means you will get more experience riding minus the stress.

Also you will ride it more because it has more luggage space means you can go shopping on it.

No need for a twist and go - things have moved on since then! Day 5 complete and I feel like I've turned a corner, I'm a lot less nervous and starting to feel like I can do this! I'm actually enjoying the lessons and feel more in control of the bike!

My instructor and I have decided on one further day of training to concentrate one the Mod 1 stuff as my road riding isn't too bad and I can practice myself on the MSX in the meantime. For someone who is so nervous a lot of the time, I feel quite calm when I'm out riding on the open road.

I *can* do the Mod 1 slow maneuvers but would like to feel more comfortable doing them and that their success is less down to chance and more down to my skill.

It might sound silly to some but I'd rather approach learning to ride a bike in the way I'm happy with and in my own time so that I'm more confident getting onto my new (big) bike after I've passed rather than rushing and muddling my way through it and doubting my abilities.

Fingers crossed for me guys n gals!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:42 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers and toes.

You're going to pass mod 1 eventually and think "What a lot of fuss over 10 minutes of nothing" though. Whistle

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:54 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: So...back to the original question Reply with quote

'Wondering if bike riding is for me?'...the answer is yes it flipping well is!

I passed Module 1 this morning with no minors! Whooop!

It was my second attempt - last week I had a brain fart in the last minute of the test and hit a cone on the hazard avoidance Rolling Eyes , but despite the nerves and self doubt and with a bit more practice, I did it!! Mr. Green

No Module 2 tests slots available until December though....*sigh*

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: So...back to the original question Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
'Wondering if bike riding is for me?'...the answer is yes it flipping well is!

I passed Module 1 this morning with no minors! Whooop!

It was my second attempt - last week I had a brain fart in the last minute of the test and hit a cone on the hazard avoidance Rolling Eyes , but despite the nerves and self doubt and with a bit more practice, I did it!! Mr. Green

No Module 2 tests slots available until December though....*sigh*

Well done. Keep your name down for cancellations if you are able to take the mod 2 at short notice.

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:53 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, I managed to get a mod 2 slot for the morning after I passed mod 1. I guess it'll depend more on the training school than the DVSA though.

And gratz on the pass. Easy peasy, wasn't it? I mean, easy to fail on a cone nudge, but not hard to pass either.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
Sorry for not coming back sooner - for some reason I didn't get an email notification that there were any further replies to my post so I just thought you guys didn't care Laughing

Don't fall into that trap!

Congratulations btw, the learning is never over. Let's be careful out there.

https://vimeo.com/232565071

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulatory tidings.
Now pass mod 2, buy a large motorcycle and put it away for the winter.

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:10 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to nab a cancellation - booked for 2 weeks time!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:40 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo!

recman wrote:
Now pass mod 2, buy a large motorcycle and put it away for the winter.

I'm pretty sure most of the Harleys sold from October to March get delivered in a van and go straight into garages. Whistle

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
I managed to nab a cancellation - booked for 2 weeks time!

Very Happy

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:03 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...it took me two attempts Rolling Eyes (did something silly on first attempt 2 weeks ago) but I've flipping well gone and passed Module 2 today!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and to add to that, I participated in my first ever group ride yesterday - a toy run with at least 200 other bikes. The ride home was loads of fun too, the longest distance I've ever ridden with my husband and I feel like I rode my MSX with such confidence and enjoyment - I'm really looking forward to future rides with him - at least I'll be on a bike that will keep up..and no more L plates - wahoooo!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:20 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Checks who I'm LARPing in this thead - ah, Nice Roger]

Congratulations! 2nd try is the best way to pass.

Binning the L plates will have added about 10mph to your MSX, particularly in the opinion of following traffic.

Do you have a BGB (see tweeness passim) in mind?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Thumbs Up

Rupertina
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:43 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
[Checks who I'm LARPing in this thead - ah, Nice Roger]

Congratulations! 2nd try is the best way to pass.

Binning the L plates will have added about 10mph to your MSX, particularly in the opinion of following traffic.

Do you have a BGB (see tweeness passim) in mind?

BGB = Big girls bike?

If so - she's in my garage waiting for me. I have a Harley Sportster 1200T Superlow. I know some people might say it's not the ideal first bike, but it was the right carrot to dangle in front of this donkey and the reason I took the plunge to get my license. My husband and I are fairly active within our local chapter so it had to be a Harley and I had looked and sat on many with his encouragement, faintly muttering 'maybe one day' until I clapped eyes on *the one*... very glittery, turquoise and purple accents with lots of chrome - a total ladies bike and right up my street. Very Happy

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupertina wrote:
So...it took me two attempts Rolling Eyes (did something silly on first attempt 2 weeks ago) but I've flipping well gone and passed Module 2 today!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Excellent, congrats Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5