Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Rider in need of advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: New Rider in need of advice Reply with quote

Hi, Brace yourselves as this may be a long one.
So, im 17 at the moment but turn 18 on the 16th of this month.I got my CBT in 06/17 after doing it on a 125cc scooter but learning the first part on a geared bike. My dad is the one paying for my bike so he was the one who says what i get.

No matter how hard i tried he wouldn't let me get a geared bike for safety reasons so i chose the 2010 SYM GTS 125 Evo as i am a large guy and dont want something too small for me. The problems have now started...

The first problem is starting the damn thing in the morning, it always turn on with no problem but every single time cuts out after maybe 10 sec. it than takes maybe 5-10 minutes of on-off-on-off before it will idle comfortably, it still cuts out if i brake too hard and let the revs drop. I believe that it only puts out 9KW instead the the limit of 11KW and being very heavy this is a major setback as it is just so sluggish and maxes out at about 63mph although occasionally i reach higher speeds (highest being just past 70mph). Now the engine had just decided to die all of a sudden, it was left from about 9:00am to 6:00pm outside after riding it fine in the morning. When i came to start it at the end of the day the engine had zero signs of life. Ive checked the spark plug, battery, starter motor, fuel and temperature but nothing seems to bring it back to life.

Since getting my licence i have also gotten into the hobby of playing airsoft every weekend(google it). This makes even more problems as the airsoft sites are located on an old farm and a disused quarry. Getting there causes major problems as unpaved, chalky, soaking wet roads and a maxi scooter dont mix too well, not to mention the effect of the huge effect the constant bumps and potholes have on the suspension.

Now, i am considering the possibility of selling it for as much as i can and then buying a bike such as a Honda CG, Yamaha YBR125 ect. The problem being that i have absolutely no money to do this. Ive already paid around £500 for insurance from 01/09/17 to 01/09/18 and really can't afford to lose all that money.

I need advice on what i should do as i'm starting to run out of options. My dad said that i won't be getting a new bike until i pass my next license at age 19 but even then i will have to pay for it myself (should have a job then).

TLDR: I need to upgrade to a better bike that better suits my needs but dont have the cash to do so and have no idea how im going to last until i am 19 to pass my A2 licence.

Thanks for any advice and thanks for making it all the way to the end!

--Edited to display correct insurance dates--

Last edited by adengtg on 00:23 - 08 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider in need of advice Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
I believe that it only puts out 9KW instead the the limit of 11KW and being very heavy this is a major setback as it is just so sluggish and maxes out at about 63mph although occasionally i reach higher speeds (highest being just past 70mph).

Sounds ok for a 125

adengtg wrote:
The problem being that i have absolutely no money to do this. Ive already paid around £500 for insurance from 01/09/16 to 01/09/17 and really can't afford to lose all that money.

Problem solved. Your insurance has already expired. Wink

Can you think of anything that happened before the problems started? Any mods? Connected to the couple of drops/crashes you already told us about?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider in need of advice Reply with quote

OOPS! Meant 2017-2018
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:21 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider in need of advice Reply with quote

Can you think of anything that happened before the problems started? Any mods? Connected to the couple of drops/crashes you already told us about?[/quote]

No, not really. a few weeks ago the back end slipped on a muddy corner but the only mechanical part was the end of the exhaust pipe that got scrapped but dint even puncture the seal of the pipe. I am completely baffled as there was nothing in the slightest out of the ordinary in the morning when i parked it up. at the end of the day it just refused to start again. Also i should have been more clear but it takes ages to each 60 or so and is very slow starting off from standstill, even for a 125.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did battery read when you checked it was it reading 12.5 volts or higher

if so check all the wiring as taking a scoot off road or down bumpy roads will shake connections loose

they just are not designed for it and it shouldn't be done

until you have a bike that can be used for it then I would get a different hobby

edit
in before hissy fit when you get same answers as last time you asked and got told bike wasn't sutable

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:53 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, your Dad needs to educate himself on motorbikes. Why on earth does he think a sluggish twist and go deathtrap is safer than a geared bike? They're no faster, they just allow you to use the gears to get away from danger more quickly.

Unfortunately as your dad is buying everything for you, you really don't have much say in this. I've never had the luxury of that but I'd imagine you should ask him if he minds paying to have the scooter looked at and repaired. Then wait til Daddy is feeling generous enough to buy you something bigger.

The real fix here would be to stop being a sponge and get a job and fund it all yourself like most of us have to....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technical problems go in the Workshop section. Daddy issues go in Dear Auntie BCF. Airsoft goes in Random Banter but it sounds weird and probably unlegal.

For your idling problems I'd suspect the auto-choke not automatically choking, or the idle speed just set too low. That's a wild sight-unseen guess based on the information to hand.

adengtg wrote:
When i came to start it at the end of the day the engine had zero signs of life

You push the starter button and what happens, exactly?

Is there any sign of life from any of the electrics when you turn the ignition on?

adengtg wrote:
Ive checked the spark plug, battery, starter motor, fuel and temperature but nothing seems to bring it back to life.

Checked them how? That they're still present? That you have continuity and good voltage?

Have you tried shorting the starter solenoid (google it)?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:07 - 08 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:47 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
First things first, your Dad needs to educate himself on motorbikes. Why on earth does he think a sluggish twist and go deathtrap is safer than a geared bike? They're no faster, they just allow you to use the gears to get away from danger more quickly.

Unfortunately as your dad is buying everything for you, you really don't have much say in this. I've never had the luxury of that but I'd imagine you should ask him if he minds paying to have the scooter looked at and repaired. Then wait til Daddy is feeling generous enough to buy you something bigger.

The real fix here would be to stop being a sponge and get a job and fund it all yourself like most of us have to....

Look, i don't want to get into this here but right now i can't work as im full time at college and have no vehicle to get to work. His argument was that i would be concentrating on changing gears, rather than focusing on the road, even though thats not really correct as gears on a bike are very easy to change

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

edit
in before hissy fit when you get same answers as last time you asked and got told bike wasn't sutable

I know already that it isnt suitable but what else do i do? Parents won't take me as its usually sunday 8:00am and there are no buses ect. Im trying to figure out a way to get another bike

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:54 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Technical problems go in the Workshop section. Daddy issues go in Dear Auntie BCF. Airsoft goes in Random Banter but it sounds weird and probably unlegal.

For your idling problems I'd suspect the auto-choke not automatically choking, or the idle speed just set too low. That's a wild sight-unseed guess based on the information to hand.

adengtg wrote:
When i came to start it at the end of the day the engine had zero signs of life

You push the starter button and what happens, exactly?

Is there any sign of life from any of the electrics when you turn the ignition on?

adengtg wrote:
Ive checked the spark plug, battery, starter motor, fuel and temperature but nothing seems to bring it back to life.

Checked them how? That they're still present? That you have continuity and good voltage?

Have you tried shorting the starter solenoid (google it)?

Yeah, i was really tired when i wrote this so its all badly laid out etc. Bacically, electrics work fine, starter motor works but the engine just doesnt seem to respond to it and come to life. Ive checked that the chamber is actually feeding fuel, that the sparkplug actually has a spark, the battery voltage is fine and the starter motor works.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Airsoft goes in Random Banter but it sounds weird and probably unlegal.
Sounds right up your alley!

OP, seeing as your dad picked the bike, which now has issues, how does HE plan on resolving said issues?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:16 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, OK.

Is it a good strong, snappy blue spark?

Is the plug tip fouled at all? If you've got any fuelling issues going on, it's handy to keep a spare, clean plug to hand to swap in to see if that helps.

It may be that your choke has given up the ghost big style and it's either failed open (too lean to start) or closed (too rich to start although it'll more often start up then die if that's the case).

Your choke is going to look something like this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dk0AAOxycmBS0Pxi/s-l500.jpg

The tip should make some movement when you turn on the ignition when the scooter is cold.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:18 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Airsoft goes in Random Banter but it sounds weird and probably unlegal.
Sounds right up your alley!

OP, seeing as your dad picked the bike, which now has issues, how does HE plan on resolving said issues?

I'm not sure. he seems to think he can fix it himself but if he can't, te only option would be to ring a garage. Thats difficult as we live in a village thats about 25mi from the edge of the city.

Also are you talking about airsoft being weird and illegal. Whats weird about people running around throwing explosives and shooting people in the middle of nowhere?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Also are you talking about airsoft being weird and illegal. Whats weird about people running around throwing explosives and shooting people in the middle of nowhere?

It sounds like a very silly hobby for a grown man to indulge in.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:24 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hmm, OK.

Is it a good strong, snappy blue spark?

Is the plug tip fouled at all? If you've got any fuelling issues going on, it's handy to keep a spare, clean plug to hand to swap in to see if that helps.

It may be that your choke has given up the ghost big style and it's either failed open (too lean to start) or closed (too rich to start although it'll more often start up then die if that's the case).

Your choke is going to look something like this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dk0AAOxycmBS0Pxi/s-l500.jpg

The tip should make some movement when you turn on the ignition when the scooter is cold.

Alright, ill go and have a look at using the manual choke

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:

You'd be surprised at the sort of people who attend. Ive seen regulars who must be upwards of 50-60 years old and as young as maybe 13 yr old. Give it a try sometime

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Yeah, people running around the woods chasing each other, while dressed as soldiers, sounds very...odd...

OP Maybe your Dad can fix it, who knows. Where abouts are you, maybe a friendly BCFer can lend a hand?

adengtg wrote:
You'd be surprised at the sort of people who attend

You could be right, I would!

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:32 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Yeah, people running around the woods chasing each other, while dressed as soldiers, sounds very...odd...

OP Maybe your Dad can fix it, who knows. Where abouts are you, maybe a friendly BCFer can lend a hand?[/quote]

Nearest city is Hull, the guys at Clarendon Motorcycles should be able to help if i manage to get it there somehow.

Grown men dressed as soldiers throwing grenades and shooting replica firearms isnt weird... in my mind...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:33 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

Concerning. Next they'll be normalising it with forums and Facebook groups and all sorts.

adengtg wrote:

Urgh, manual choke? Cable operated? Sorry, I've sold you a dummy then.

Worth investigating the functioning of it though, to see if the cable's snapped or detached.

Still, most fuelling problems are electrical, so I'd also do a plug swap or at least give the current one a good clean.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:45 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:

Concerning. Next they'll be normalising it with forums and Facebook groups and all sorts.

adengtg wrote:

Worth investigating the functioning of it though, to see if the cable's snapped or detached.

Still, most fuelling problems are electrical, so I'd also do a plug swap or at least give the current one a good clean.

wait wait wait, i think i saw a manual choke near the engine bay but im not sure. As the forum states im a new rider to all of this is new to me but im going to give it a try best i can.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:

Shortly followed by some half arsed law to try and control it as well no doubt.

I presume it's just like paintball?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:

There are tens of thousands of us

adengtg wrote:

Well, on my fault finding adventure ive found that i was mistaken by the manual choke but not yet found where all the wireing is but i have found a power outlet in the glovebox... yay...

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Shortly followed by some half arsed law to try and control it as well no doubt.

I presume it's just like paintball?[/quote]

Yeah, execpt more realistic as you wouldnt be able to tell an airsoft gun from a real one at first glance. also much more powerful. The govmt recognises it as a legitimate sport so its legal, all you need to get a replica firearm is attend 3 games in 2 months and get a site membership

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Yeah, execpt more realistic as you wouldnt be able to tell an airsoft gun from a real one at first glance.

Shocked That sounds dangerouse, can't that land you in trouble with the law?

If you don't have an obvious looking choke lever up on the bars or dash with a symbol like this on it:

https://jlw97.fatcow.com/saabstories/pages/weber_dcnf/preview/dcnf_42.jpg

Then it's likely you've got an auto-choke on the carb.

I mean, assuming it is a carb rather than fuel injection, Sym are moderately advanced as Noodle Boxes go.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:02 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:
Yeah, execpt more realistic as you wouldnt be able to tell an airsoft gun from a real one at first glance.

Shocked That sounds dangerouse, can't that land you in trouble with the law?

If you don't have an obvious looking choke lever up on the bars or dash with a symbol like this on it:

https://jlw97.fatcow.com/saabstories/pages/weber_dcnf/preview/dcnf_42.jpg

Then it's likely you've got an auto-choke on the carb.

I mean, assuming it is a carb rather than fuel injection, Sym are moderately advanced as Noodle Boxes go.

right, heres a pic. at first i thought it was fuel injected but now i have no idea
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2