Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro, Greece, etc.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Euro, Greece, etc. Reply with quote

Very interesting discussion that relates to the Eurozone and the Greece crisis. Also some discussion on the EU structure and the apparent real make up of power and influence.

https://youtu.be/2WG-uEND74E?t=6m26s

This is related https://wikileaks.org/imf-internal-20160319/transcript/IMF%20Anticipates%20Greek%20Disaster.pdf

Last edited by Sload on 15:31 - 09 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far tl;dw / tl;dr.

As far as I'm aware, the crib notes are that a succession of governments bought power by looking the other way over mass tax evasion, and allowing and encouraging Greeks to retire far too early from their non-job-for-life in the Ministry of Makework.

https://artfulanxiety.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/pdvd_056.jpg

Despite paper growth up to 2007, real incomes dropped, tax revenue dropped sharply, and post crash, neither the public nor private sectors can afford to fund the young to work their way out of recession despite there being an increasing need for it.

Solutions:

1) Cull the old Get geezers off their retsina soaked arses and back to producing things out of patriotic zeal.

2) Leave the Euro, devalue like gangbusters to stimulate their exports, while printing Drogna like they're going out of fashion. Take the inflationary hit in order to actually get people working again.

As it is, a few tens of billions here, a few hundred billions there, are just keeping them on life support and are mostly being swallowed up servicing existing debts with Franco-Prussian banks.

It seems neither sustainable, nor kind.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a real mess.

Too much reliance on finance, Germans in a power struggle, Greece is forever bust whilst in the Euro zone, if they debt written off, big banks go down the shitter, but they're all stuck in the euro zone because of political ideology

It's all well and good us plebs thinking up idea's but the people at the top won't do it unless they're dragged in to the streets and hung.

Thank god we sort of, were unravelled from the Eu tenticles, for the time being.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Far tl;dw / tl;dr.

As far as I'm aware, the crib notes are that a succession of governments bought power by looking the other way over mass tax evasion, and allowing and encouraging Greeks to retire far too early from their non-job-for-life in the Ministry of Makework.

https://artfulanxiety.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/pdvd_056.jpg

Despite paper growth up to 2007, real incomes dropped, tax revenue dropped sharply, and post crash, neither the public nor private sectors can afford to fund the young to work their way out of recession despite there being an increasing need for it.

Solutions:

1) Cull the old Get geezers off their retsina soaked arses and back to producing things out of patriotic zeal.

2) Leave the Euro, devalue like gangbusters to stimulate their exports, while printing Drogna like they're going out of fashion. Take the inflationary hit in order to actually get people working again.

As it is, a few tens of billions here, a few hundred billions there, are just keeping them on life support and are mostly being swallowed up servicing existing debts with Franco-Prussian banks.

It seems neither sustainable, nor kind.

Far tl;dw / tl;dr.

Just so you know, this was the finance minister from the front line who resigned and is pretty much telling you the Government surrendered. No point pandering your own points if you are not willing to listen to others Thumbs Up

I'll add as an olive branch, skip the introductory speaker, most things like this they deserve a skip as they rarely add anything of worth.

https://www.neonnettle.com/feed/images/Screen%20Shot%202014-03-02%20at%2010.25.31.png

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr summary of tl;dr - Greeks quit when the going gets tough.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sort of but not, the Greeks voted to fight on like the Spartans that they are, the gubbernmint threw up the towel and lifted their bottom up to the eurosoviat bloc.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the reason for posting a pic of pjw?
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogers crush Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scared me straight.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, if I see his mug I just think Shouty McShoutface.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He say's what most people think, but meh, that's nothing radical to me.
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Sort of but not, the Greeks voted to fight on like the Spartans that they are, the gubbernmint threw up the towel and lifted their bottom up to the eurosoviat bloc.

Sort of, but whilst I had some sympathy with the Greek public didn't they in fact vote not to pay their debts? Meanwhile nasty Germany keeps selling them tanks. Irresponsible Greeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany, France and the USA are playing Greece and Turkey off against each other!
They Sell arms to Greece, knowing the Greek hatred/distrust of the Turks.
The same three countries are selling arms to Turkey, knowing the Turks hatred/distrust of Greece and, err, pretty much anything non Turkish!

Germany and France are, no doubt, more than happy with a Greek bailout, effectively the Bailout money goes directly back into their own economies, for the arms they're selling!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Sort of, but whilst I had some sympathy with the Greek public didn't they in fact vote not to pay their debts? Meanwhile nasty Germany keeps selling them tanks. Irresponsible Greeks.

A bit naughty really. Germany supplied a quarter of its arms, not the bulk. On top of that Greece may spend a lot on defence, doesn't mean they actually pay for it.

Even that article mentions 10 year overdue payments for submarines.

Greece wanted to buy £100k worth of kit of us for their navy. And they wanted an agreement so that late fulfilment of contract meant they didn't have to pay the full amount. And also, despite never having dealt with them before, they wanted us to accept a letter which said they would pay, rather than actually pay Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:43 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Sort of, but whilst I had some sympathy with the Greek public didn't they in fact vote not to pay their debts?

Ahh. An icelandic economy then. They had a referrendum and voted not to pay their debts. Then they didn't.

Look at them now...

Wait.. Don't!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:16 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Iceland's economy was a victim of bad banking.
With the people's consent,
Quote:
The authorities responded with the unthinkable: they let the country’s three biggest banks collapse. It was the third largest bankruptcy in history. Then came the implementation of strict capital controls, austerity measures and a series of reforms; Iceland thus set out to reinvent itself. Scepticism was rife, but contrary to the qualms of critics, the controversial model actually seems to be working.
In contrast the Greek economy seems to have suffered from low productivity, widespread tax evasion and profligacy. A vote against austerity measures, i.e. voting not to pay off the countries debts, on that basis seems irresponsible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:05 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
[Shouty McShoutface] say's [sic] what most people think, but meh, that's nothing radical to me.

I don't have a problem with the content, it's the delivery that triggers me. I don't need to be told the same thing three times in an increasingly angry tone by some loon rocking backwards and forwards, and possibly having a Crisis just below the camera frame.

On topic, I expect that Greek pensioners (i.e. about 30% of the country) will be freezing to death in droves at the moment, but the headlines are about a couple of fighting age migrants succumbing to TBola or whatever other underlying health condition they've got. Selective compassion again.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

New Greek government?

https://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/styles/main_wide/public/untitled-3_56.jpg?itok=4JiUWAI8

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:01 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might as well. And move to a barter economy based on:

https://images.costcobusinessdelivery.com/image/media/350-150818__1.jpg

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
A bit naughty really. Germany supplied a quarter of its arms, not the bulk. On top of that Greece may spend a lot on defence, doesn't mean they actually pay for it.

Even that article mentions 10 year overdue payments for submarines.

AFAIK the Greeks paid for 4 subs, three of them didn't work, they got sent back, no refund was paid!

Historic arms proliferation here:-

EU accused of hypocrisy for 1 billion in arms sales to Greece

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're having a laugh, that's owner abuse, that is, have you been storing them in the sea or something? (Paraphrase of actual BMW Motorrad response to vehicle corrosion)

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar discussion, same topic, no Noam triggering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DP_v8f8ihs
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2