Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got to give up riding......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Got to give up riding...... Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I'm not after sympathy, well maybe a little. Wink

After spending 4 days in hospital after being diagnosed with heart failure I have been told to give up riding.

I think the wife and Dr. have got together and decided this as the DVLA say I can carry on riding after a month to prove I'm not going to keel over at 120 on the motorway Whistle .

However, in reality I think it is time to hang up my bike gear and put on the slippers as I have never felt so ill in my life, I really thought I was off (as the yanks put it) across the rainbow bridge for a chat with God, Allah or the worms.

My years of self abuse have finally caught up with me but I don't regret any of them. I've drank and whored my way round the world in the 70's and 80's. Been to and seen things that would curdle milk and thoroughly enjoyed life. Now it's time to pay.

So I will be selling my Trophy over the next few months. I know there isn't a market for it on this forum but wifie has also said she is giving up riding and therefore her ER6-N will be going up for sale and that would suit a new rider on here. Details coming later.

So, that's about it. I can't even drown my sorrows as another drink might well be my last.

I blame Donald Trump. I was fine till he won.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear that, Polarbear. I can but wish you all the best.
I think I will be approaching this situation myself in the not-too-distant future, so your post really has some resonance with me. But as you say, you've lived your life well, had some good experiences along the way. This is all that any of us can hope for.

You'll find other things to keep the spirits up, and you have family on your side - you'll be fine. Best of luck, and you have my sympathy anyway Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh. Sad

It's good that the chances of anything happening at 120mph in your boat are slim. Razz

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

im dreading the day I have to make the decison not to ride anymore. Hope your riding retirement brings more fun than slippers and a comfy chair mate.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sorry to hear that mate.

I will however offer 50 quid for your ER6 and 70 for the Trophy.

I'll also give you a hug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:51 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? Doctors and non-biker wives are 2 groups notorious for anti-biking attitudes. Doctors get things wrong all the time. Alcohol is no substitute for bikes. It may make for a fun night, but without bikes the dissatisfaction will linger. I would get a second opinion ASAP.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:04 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get to watch C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate?

The chap who took my knackered but shiny 250 cruiser off my hands was a walking-sticker. He just wanted a bike again to polish it. Bless.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The chap who took my knackered but shiny 250 cruiser off my hands was a walking-sticker. He just wanted a bike again to polish it. Bless.

Don't think I could do that. If I could never ride again, I don't think I'd ever want to see another motorcycle. It'd be a too bitter-sweet reminder to actually still own one.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. My garage is going to get cleared of all bike stuff. Not interested if I cant ride it.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe find out whats actually up with ya heart,and see if it can be sorted before making any rash choices.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Maybe find out whats actually up with ya heart,and see if it can be sorted before making any rash choices.

Pretty sure that's what he's talking about!

bugeye_bob wrote:
I've drank and whored my way round the world in the 70's and 80's. Been to and seen things that would curdle milk and thoroughly enjoyed life. Now it's time to pay.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
bugeye_bob wrote:

Pretty sure that's what he's talking about!

bugeye_bob wrote:
I've drank and whored my way round the world in the 70's and 80's. Been to and seen things that would curdle milk and thoroughly enjoyed life. Now it's time to pay.

But so have most of us and mates, a few have ended with issues, one recently had a stent fitted, didnt have to give up riding because of it,
medical technology can fix or grow you a new bugger now, just saying it has worth looking into, if you dont want to actually give up.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad news.

Fit one of these and you should be ok:

https://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/42635_P&$prodImageMedium$

Just make sure you set it to low though.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear virtual reality is getting better. Just buy a big fuck off fan and jobs a goodun.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to hear. Nothing you can do at this point to improve your health a bit?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's just....shite.

Any chance of a non exciting compromise?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RTOaW6eGaBg/Tjmwh9X-eEI/AAAAAAAABUI/yMinteZKdJs/s1600/IMG_1845.JPG
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Well that's just....shite.

Any chance of a non exciting compromise?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RTOaW6eGaBg/Tjmwh9X-eEI/AAAAAAAABUI/yMinteZKdJs/s1600/IMG_1845.JPG

The Caravan or the Vitara lol

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really bad news Sad
Hope that something can be worked out for you before you go down this route
https://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TROPHY-GP700DL.jpg

But, to save you the heartache of having to get rid of your bikes and gear, if you like I'll pop over with a big van and remove them and empty your garage. Won't even charge you a penny to take them off your hands.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the bikes, change your wife and doctor.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you've not been well Polarbear.

Getting your health/heart sorted or treatment to gain more quality of life and normality should be your 100% first aim.

After that if things are stable and workable, maybe you can come back to bikes, in a less serious way? otherwise an interesting new hobby is the way to go I'd say. I know you've spent alot of time and life around boats, would getting a new boat be something you'd enjoy maybe?

if I lived by the Sea, I'd without doubt have a boat of some description, it would probably be a very silly one with a noisy oily smoke spewing huge Yamaha lump on the back that's had all its ports hacked open big enough to put your fist in. Not sure it'd be very useful but I'd just love being at the jetty as the mad fool that keeps trying to start his butchered motor and making lots of noise.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Sad
Are you going to become one of those people who stop and talk when a biker is parking up, talking at length of how you had one of those in the 90's until it had a fight with a tractor and lost?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear that Mr Bear Sad

Your health comes first, however I am sure there will be plenty of ways you can still find an interest.

If you give up bikes, how am I going to convince you 250`s rule Laughing

All the best Mr Bear and stay as well as you can Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear. May I ask how old you are? I'm hoping I've got 20 years riding left.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I'm hoping I've got 20 years riding left.

You just never know. I'm 50 myself, which I don't consider to be particularly senior (despite what I may sometimes indicate), and even after my big crash, apart from not being able to ride sports bikes anymore, I pretty much carried on where I left off. But it's definitely catching up with me now. Especially after doing my back in that last spill. Best not to dwell on it while you don't need to.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:33 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of other hobbies out there Thumbs Up .

Could always take the motorcycling off road though...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3