Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frame number removed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Frame number removed Reply with quote

Came across this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-KTM-690-SMC-R-16-DAMAGED-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-NO-RESERVE-10209-/302191503084?hash=item465c0466ec:g:lMYAAOSwux5YU-hM

Can it go back on the road if the frame no. has been removed?

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say the number has been removed?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second from last picture (isn't that where it would be?).

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows it in one of the photos Wali.

I've known of vehicles without a VIN in the distant past but what I'd be wondering is how you would get it mot'd. No/illegible VIN is a mot fail far as I know.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no MOT for another 2 years but I'm surprised to see the bidding exploding.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Isn't that the engine number?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
Pete. wrote:

There is a picture of the engine number, and another that clearly shows the frame number has been ground off the headstock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:15 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:

Nope. Engine number is clearly legible. VIN is ground off.

Of course a less than scuplious owner could stamp up and glue-on a VIN plate. Easily purchaseable as a blank from the online auction site in question.

Legally, you'd have to Q-plate it to put it back on the road if my understanding of things is accurate.

Be a kick-arse track bike?

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was suggesting that what pete indicated was the frame number was in fact the engine number Laughing

its fairly obvious that the frame number has been removed from the headstock Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Be a kick-arse track bike?

A 2010 (Cat B) 'track' bike went for 1200, that's why I'm wondering if I've missed its value.

Last edited by M.C on 01:47 - 10 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, I was looking in the listing not the photos. The area that has been ground away could be x rayed to recover the number,

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
I was suggesting that what pete indicated was the frame number was in fact the engine number Laughing

I never mentioned engine number.

Quote:
Where does it say the number has been removed?

Quote:

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:45 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggests that its been stolen and recovered some time later?

The Met police tag on it supports this. I'd want to be sure that the theft issue was all dealt with. I'd not be comfortable buying a bike without VIN.

Are VIN numbers held in the ECU on bikes - they are on most cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:47 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they not on the V5 itself too... and they have the V5, otherwise where do you check engine and frame numbers to check for swap.

Get V5, give to garage to stamp/buy plate, stamp solo.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:57 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure a 660 SMC would make a good track bike in all honesty, not unless you wanted to use it exclusively for Supermoto tracks, and even then it's a bit fat and heavy.

I'd run a mile from that, because even if it IS legit, people will think it's not, and it'll be hard to make it look genuine.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:31 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes with a V5C showing the VIN and it ended up in my possession, I'd have no hesitation about stamping the VIN back on it again, either directly or on a plate. I can't think of any possible offence that you'd be committing by putting the real VIN back on the bike.

However, I would assume ongoing questions at MOT time, which I'd probably answer with "Dunno, mate, bought it off the insurer as stolen-recovered, mate, came like that, mate." Even my friendly MOT place does always check the plate on my bikes. Actually, as above, I might even ask them if they could stamp it for me, mate, it's legit and all that, mate.

However, I'd also assume that with 6 active and early eBay bidders that at least 2 of them are going to push it into silly money, so I'd forget about it until 5 minutes before the auction closes and look elsewhere in the meantime.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'm not sure a 690 SMC would make a good track bike in all honesty, not unless you wanted to use it exclusively for Supermoto tracks, and even then it's a bit fat and heavy.

What he said. I'd say more of an arse-kicked track bike. Smile

Can't make full use of most full size tracks due to lacking in speed.

Supermoto you're going to better with a full on competition SM.

if you have one anyway and fancy a track-day, sure; but definitely wouldn't buy for that purpose.
It's a high performance road supermoto and I'd say that's it's best use.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas101 wrote:
Suggests that its been stolen and recovered some time later?

The Met police tag on it supports this. I'd want to be sure that the theft issue was all dealt with. I'd not be comfortable buying a bike without VIN.

Are VIN numbers held in the ECU on bikes - they are on most cars.

It's offered by Surrey MC salvage. They sell hundreds of insurance disposals.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my cg125 powder coated they blasted the frame number off the head stock. I took off a rectangle of the powder coat hoping it would be underneath but it wasnt. Well, it was still there but so faint you couldn't make most of it out. I just had another vin plate made up and riveted it to the front of the frame (there was one there originally but they also took that off with tin snips...). Explained the circumstances to the MOT tester and didn't have an issue. Obviously I had the V5 and previous photo to back that up but he didn't ask to see them.

For that bike though I'd be looking at a Q plate most likely.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:06 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do what Roger said myself get the number stamps out. You'd have the paper trail to back you up.

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:58 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frame number on my Ducati doesn't match the V5 (it was entered incorrectly when the bike was imported in 1999). The MOT man just does it by the registration number instead. I could have it corrected but that means half a day at the DOT inspection place for them to confirm the identity of the bike and make sure its not stolen.
I'd imagine giving a bike a new frame number would be a similar process. New frames from the factory don't have numbers on. At least Ducati ones don't.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:48 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockhopper wrote:
The MOT man just does it by the registration number instead. I could have it corrected but that means half a day at the DOT inspection place for them to confirm the identity of the bike and make sure its not stolen.

The mot is registered to the system using the reg number and the Vin (from the Vehicle not the V5), It can be done with no Reg but not without the Vin. Whats on the V5 is of no concern to a tester, unless they want proof of the date of first use.

Contact Swansea and get it corrected there is no Visit to a test center involved, that was for cars and has been abandoned.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the vehicle in question I see no problem with stamping up a strip of metal and gluing it to the headstock, should satisfy MOT purposes.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:04 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
For the vehicle in question I see no problem with stamping up a strip of metal and gluing it to the headstock, should satisfy MOT purposes.

Would be pefectly adequate, legible and permanently fixed (includes glued on)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2