BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coolant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Coolant Reply with quote

Hello, i m an owner of a Kawasaki z800 and found out that the factory uses regular coolant anti freeze, the green one. at the next coolant change i want to use the organic, red coolant for my machine. is this recommended or shall i stick with the regular green one? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing this because you're an eco-warrior with a hard-on for the word "organic" don't bother. The red stuff is still ethylene glycol but it has corrosion inhibitors based on fully neutralized organic acids and azoles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a bodger, but I would not replace blue/green with orange. The people who made it know what they are doing. If you do insist on it, at least flush it out very thoroughly first.

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm a bit of a bodger, but I would not replace blue/green with orange. The people who made it know what they are doing. If you do insist on it, at least flush it out very thoroughly first.

By Flushing, you mean fill the cooling system with distilled water and after fill up with the new coolant? Thanks
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:23 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to the original colour. Different types of coolant are different, and mixing some types is not advised. There is a lot of poor quality information out there about what can/cannot be mixed.

There is no performance benefit in using a different type of coolant than the one your vehicle originally came with. Some kinds last a bit longer, but they all last a minimum of two years. I would expect to change it every two years anyway.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't mixing them cause some of them to form like a jelly stuff?

Why would you not want chemicals in your coolent?

What next carrot juice petrol addictive?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:37 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

It might, so why risk it for no benefit?

Don't do it, but if you do, flush out the system with a hose, until it runs completely clean. Then flush it some more. Then don't do it.

Cavallo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

What i meant is when i change the coolant, instead using the green type, i use the red one. I ve heard that the red one have much better protection.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavallo wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

What i meant is when i change the coolant, instead using the green type, i use the red one. I ve heard that the red one have much better protection.

I think the point they're trying to get across is... it doesn't.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some time ago that OAT coolants can cause rapid corrosion under some conditions?

Similar question, normal coolant is blue. Honda put some green alien piss in mine. Which type is it? plan to replace with cheapest blue from ECP.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1