Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring helmet cam

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:16 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Touring helmet cam Reply with quote

Me and a mate are looking at a wee touring trip up the Highlands again this year, route still to be confirmed but we can hash it out a bit over the next few weeks. One thing I wanted to do was look into getting a helmet camera to record the trip (and any all-day ride-outs). Prefer helmet mounted as I want the vid to show what I am looking at, especially off to the sides/scenery. I ain't bothered with a mic or anything, not the type to do a vlog or nowt - would just be me swearing at cagers anyways - but if it picks up engine noise that would be cool. I would likely put some music over it if putting up on yootoob or owt.

However, I've came across a couple of potential issues.

1. My helmet is a Shark Evo-One, which is a flip helmet where the chin bar goes all the way over the top, same as it's predecessor the Evoline series. There is a bit of space at the bottom where the end of the chin bar doesn't go, so should be enough to get a mount one, but I wasn't sure how big the mounts usually are, can someone give me a rough size? Every site I look at for various cams don't give any dimensions.

2. Battery life. We tend to ride for most of the day, but most of the cams I can see have internal batteries that only last about 3 hours if not usually less. This means I need something with a replaceable battery, but these are few and far between. The only ones I can find are either extremely expensive and out of potential budget (£200+) or cheapo ones off Amazon/eBay for around £50, which is in budget but not sure if I would trust the quality of something so cheap. Can anyone point me in the direction of something that wouldn't break the bank but would have the option of changing the battery? (of is there a way of keeping the battery charged while riding?)

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget cam SJ4000 + additional batteries should do it. Not sure on the mount size, sure someone who has one can help.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

35.35 x 45.58

There are lots of mounting pads, but that's the size I use for an SJ4000 (same mount as a Go-Pro). I imagine most will be pretty similar.

You can get charging cases for an SJ4000 (£15ish), alternatively, drill through a case and silicone a MicroUSB cable in (£3-5)

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:22 - 24 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, just looked up a vid on yootoob which gave a nice review, and found it on ebay at a decent price. Add in the extra batteries and micro sd cards and it looks like a goer. Not sure how I'm going to charge said batteries when camping, but I'll figure summat out!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 24 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerbank, something like an anker powercore should give you at least a couple charges until you can find an outlet (if you can) or simply wire a connector into the bike

oh and also

Action Cam for cheaps.

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 03:42 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the sj cam 4000 and 3 or 4 extra batterys gonna do the nc500 this year so i reckon thatll meet the criteria 😎 for maybe 75 bucks 😉

Also wired in a 12v port in the pocket under the seat for charging
Srad 600 - 750 fitted, big carb upgrade, swona exhaust, k1 wheels, k2 usd's & triangle swing arm, 45t rear sprocket, k1 tail end, K1 clocks, r1 throttle mod. Future plans include a turbo and k8 speedo, stubby levers and a radial mc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:09 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between this thread and the other one vice linked to, I did a bit of research on getting long-term charge, possible thru hooking up to the bike battery. Found a couple of interesting things instead.

1 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Case-Charging-Motorcycle-Car-Charger-For-SJCAM-SJ4000-WiFi-Camera-/221920218337 - there is a case made for cars/motorbikes which comes with a cigarette lighter cable, but can also be used for any USB cable. Which leads me on to another find...

2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-22400mAh-Capacity-Flashlight/dp/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1485554240&sr=8-8&keywords=usb+battery+pack - and others like this on Amazon. A lot of power with a single battery, not sure exactly how long it would last, but got to be all day surely. Would just need a way to charge overnight after a day's ride.

So I'm thinking SJ4000 with the special case for long-distance rides linked to a battery pack in my jacket. Will do a bit of testing as I buy the stuff, make sure it all tracks out, but I think that will work for the trip. Just the charging of the external battery to sort out, but that will depend on the amount it uses during a day's ride, on top of the regular battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1