Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gilera smt 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Brown.lewis This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of fuel.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause it has a teenie engine?

In seriousness it sounds like a fuel supply issue - is it carbureted or FI? I assume carb. Try fresh fuel if its older stuff that is in there and check to make sure the fuel is getting to the carb without blockage. Take it for a thrash afterwards and see if it clears up. Make sure youre not riding with the choke on too.

If that makes no difference then the carb may just need adjusted slightly with the colder weather we are having (temperature affects the air density and thus the air/fuel mixture). My CG needs a quick adjustment twice a year to compensate. All you need to do is get the engine up to normal temp (take it for a ride) then adjust the pilot screw which will change the idle speed slightly. As you back the screw out the idle speed will increase but only to a point. You want it set at the point at which the fastest idle is achieved. Once you have done that you can adjust the idle speed screw until you have the correct idle speed set. Note that the pilot and idle screws are differemt, it's the pilot screw you want to change first. The idle screw is set afterwards and this one has a greater affect on the idle speed.

If that doesn't work strip the carb and give it a clean out. Be sure to count the number of rotations for any screws you re!I've so that you don't change the settings accidentally.

I'm not an expert on carbs but this is what works for me, if anything is incorrect I'm sure someone will pipe up or give further suggestions.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Gilera smt 50 Reply with quote

Brown.lewis wrote:
it struggles and bogs out does anybody now why this is?

I imagine it's because it's been passed around a succession of 16 year olds who messed around with it randomly in order to try and make it faster, despite wiser heads advising them not to. They all ended up making it worse before giving up and selling it on to some other mug, and then came now.

You haven't told us anything at all about the moped except (in one of your many dupe threads) that it's a "project", so I'll assume that the above is an accurate description of it.

So put it back to stock.

No, I don't know what stock is for that moped, or how to check that yours is or isn't. It's your ped, in your possession, and your problem. If you can't be bothered giving any useful information about it, don't expect a magical solution to be presented to you.

tl;dr version - put it back to stock, then stop messing with it.

Or, more likely, sell it on to yet another victim, describing it as "just needs a bit of TLC"

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Gilera smt 50 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Or, more likely, sell it on to yet another victim, describing it as "just needs a bit of TLC"

No, no, and no again.

He needs to describe it as "well fast, just needs a new plug and powerband". Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1