Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rusty chain is it finished?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Rusty chain is it finished? Reply with quote

I last rode my bike about a month ago. It's a 16 plate CB650F which I've had from new last summer. It's now done the grand total of 2,000 miles.

last time I went out it got absolutely filthy from a week's commuting, general road dirt more than anything else but I was not aware that any salt gritters had been out as it has not been that cold.

Anyway went to ride it this morning, front wheel won't turn, battery flat, a good bit of corrosion on the aluminium footpeg brackets and and the chain red with rust!

I am quite ashamed that I put it away in the garage in such a state and just left it dirty, but would we expect this level of corrosion to happen on a new bike? I freely admit to leaving the bike filthy, but I was a bit surprised by the impact it had had.

Most of all, though, I'm a bit worried about the chain, will it sort itself out with oil and use or am I going to have to replace it? I can still wheel the bike about in neutral easily enough.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:40 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't put it away like that... The chain might not be terminal, but it will have certainly reduced it's life massively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andi
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any seized links? If so it could be terminal.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:47 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are heaps of salt out there on the road right now. Aluminium corrosion isn't a problem. But I have to rub down, clean and wax my DID chain after every ride in this weather. The oxidation pattern seems to be first yellow (pre-rust which can be shifted with the finger), then orange (new rust which can be shifted with the brush), then red (bad news rust - don't have it yet).

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just be surface patina, market it as a rat bike and sell on for profit.

Otherwise clean off with paraffin and then lube well, tell yourself not to be a naughty boy again. Sounds like you need to liberally coat the bike in acf and the chain in wax before you next abandon it.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:06 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

bit of a weird one wouldnt expect that as I ride my bike in all weathers everyday through central London and maybe lube my chain once every month and clean it once every 3-4 months and its a crappy cbr125
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Honda aren't immune to tin worm.

Don't fret about the chain and ignore any doom merchants. The chain on my GPZ hadn't moved in years when I got it, and I've had stiff links on other chains: they all came good with some TLC.

Clean and oil it, then check for seized links. Rotate the wheel and see if any stand proud as they go round the sprocket or don't fall in line as they come off.

If you have any, work them free by wiggling with two pairs of pliers. No need to be gentle, if you can't free them up then the chain is toast.

If you still have a stiffie, give it a good thorough soak with oil. Ideally, get the chain off the sprocket and lying in a bath of oil.

It's probably an O or X ring chain but if you have lost any rings, just treat it as a prolespec chain and lube it more often. If I'd listened to the naysayers, I'd have binned my Nazi Tractor chain thousands of miles ago - it's still usefully in service, popped rings and all.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with Roger. Paraffin and a nail brush make a good chain cleaning combination, all four sides of the chain, about four rotations of the wheel should expose the whole chain. Repeat until it looks okay. Then nail-brush lots of engine oil into it, top of bottom run only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the idea that giving it a good cleaning can't hurt it.

I'd sit down with some old engine oil and apply with an old toothbrush scrubbing at the links. Wipe off when you've been around a few times scrubbing. See what it looks like then. Also do the checking for stiff links as described.

I wouldn't worry too much, should have seen the chain on my old CG ... oil and toothbrush and I'd leave a towel under it to catch the dripping oil overnight.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - freed off the front wheel with a bit of force, left the battery on charge and will have a go at the chain tonight before taking for a spin.

Didn't know of the existence of chain wax so will find some of that on the way home. Though I had lubed it fairly often with a variety of substances (engine oil, chain lube, ptfe lubricant) most must have come off in the harsh conditions.

Of course no centre stand to help with chain cleaning; and I never had this trouble with the NTV!
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloysius Parker wrote:
lynnnsr wrote:
Didn't know of the existence of chain wax so will find some of that on the way home.

Don't bother it's shit.

Muc off dry lube is very good and can be purchased from Halfords.

Muc off is very good, it's also wax based Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:39 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Surface rust on the chain I wouldn't worry about. Pretty much zero chance it will affect the strength of the chain. Might damage the O rings but probably enough oil where they touch for there to be no corrosion there.

Tooth brush and some oil will clean it up probably.

If the O rings have gone then I would be far more dubious using the chain for any length of time

All the best

Katy

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate wax based chain lubes. Just builds up an enormous pile of crap. I use chain saw oil to lube. Its a bit more non fling

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:32 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just surface rust then don't worry

take the chain off, put it in a bucket of coca cola (a 2l bottle from the shop will do just fine) and leave for about an hour then take it out, scrub it down with steel wool and good as new.

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
Thanks all - freed off the front wheel with a bit of force, left the battery on charge and will have a go at the chain tonight before taking for a spin.

Didn't know of the existence of chain wax so will find some of that on the way home. Though I had lubed it fairly often with a variety of substances (engine oil, chain lube, ptfe lubricant) most must have come off in the harsh conditions.

Of course no centre stand to help with chain cleaning; and I never had this trouble with the NTV!

Just get a paddock stand, got mine for about £25 on eBay, it lifts the back wheel off the ground so you can oil the chain etc more easily.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
take the chain off, put it in a bucket of coca cola

So, grind the ends of the pins down, get a chain splitter and press a link out, buy a new link, after cleaning it fit the new link and correctly rivet the pins.

Seems like an immense amount of effort just to clean a chain.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:32 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
So, grind the ends of the pins down, get a chain splitter and press a link out, buy a new link, after cleaning it fit the new link and correctly rivet the pins.

Seems like an immense amount of effort just to clean a chain.

Commentard has a YBR125, perhaps assumes all bikes have a clippy-chain.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain looked worse than it actually was - engine oil and toothbrush brought it back into use.

Paddock stand is a good idea - this is cheap - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-Rear-Motorcycle-Bike-Paddock-Stand-Track-Day-Garage-Pit-/371169071935?hash=item566b66933f:g:M8wAAOSwaNBUeXU2

But will it be any good for general maintenance once in a while?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a scottoiler. Occaisonally clean the crap that isn't flung off, then re-lube with scottoil.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1