Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Actions upon your death....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:08 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Actions upon your death.... Reply with quote

Apologies for the morbid thread for a Thursday morning, but inspired by a recent article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38135063

In which apparently the wife of a biker had great difficulty in getting life support switched off for her husband who was in a vegetative state after being knocked off his bike...

Interested to see if any of you have penned a letter to be opened in the case of your being potatoed on the bike, which states your wishes with regard to being kept alive/allowed to die?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to go about it if I'm honest but I have discussed it with my family. They know I don't want to be kept alive if I'm locked in, or just sat there on life support but I don't have anything in writing. Seems a bit morbid presenting the parents with a signed letter just in case I potato myself.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I expect every soldier does tbh. It's prudent, not morbid. Particularly as life insurance doesn't pay
out until you kark it. If I had kids to go with my wife then I'd probably write such a letter. One last act of provision
for your loved ones has to be better than skinting the family looking after a 15 stone spud.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNR is what you need to record in case of this.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

DNR = do not resuscitate

Do not do this, if you have one of these they won't attempt to save you if you stop breathing or your heart stops, whether you're a cabbage or not.

What you want is a living will. detailing that you don't consent to being kept in a persistant vegetative state

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting to collect on the life insurance. Thumbs Up

MSM wrote:
Paul had been knocked from his bike on the Borough Road flyover, Birkenhead by a motorist in a Nissan Micra driving on the wrong side of the road.

a Nissan Micra

a Nissan Micra

When will the madness end?

It is a proper tragedy, mind, and I am mildly inclined at this moment to create an advance decision, but will likely prevaricate and get distracted by Kate Upton jiggling her funbags in the sidebar.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:20 - 12 Jan 2017; edited 2 times in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

DNR = do not resuscitate

Do not do this, if you have one of these they won't attempt to save you if you stop breathing or your heart stops, whether you're a cabbage or not.

What you want is a living will. detailing that you don't consent to being kept in a persistant vegetative state

Indeed, I would quite like to be resuscitated in the event that my heart has stopped but I'm otherwise fine. If I've been a cabbage for months, switch me off.

So no, a blanket DNR does not cover it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the damage that resuscitating does? If i rock in there with injuries so severe that i'm on the verge of it, you can let me croak over it thanks.

I certainly won't have an issue with it!!!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survived the war, taken out by a dizzy bint in a Micra...

Neutral

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Have you seen the damage that resuscitating does? If i rock in there with injuries so severe that i'm on the verge of it, you can let me croak over it thanks.

agreed, also register as organ donor, could change someone else's life, although nobody is going to want my liver Embarassed

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

agreed, also register as organ donor, could change someone else's life, although nobody is going to want my liver Embarassed

Ditto for most of my renal system - i don't suppose i could give my T1 diabetes away even if i wanted to .... actually most of me is pretty well 2nd hand in that regard Very Happy

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
I'm not sure how to go about it if I'm honest but I have discussed it with my family. They know I don't want to be kept alive if I'm locked in, or just sat there on life support but I don't have anything in writing. Seems a bit morbid presenting the parents with a signed letter just in case I potato myself.

Think the issue here is that even though his wife knew he wouldn't want to be kept alive as a potato, because she had no written evidence she couldn't enforce his wishes. As morbid as it is, I am considering writing a letter to be opened in the case of my death.

Don't think I would instruct a DNR, unless I was already potato, although you are right, resuscitation normally results in a smashed in ribcage at least.

Worth thinking about being bikers I think, along with joining the organ donor register as mentioned.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone write a standard letter and share it for us all to fill in our own details.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gets me is this obsession that the State has with keeping potato-people alive. What's the merit? Once your brain is gone, you're no longer you, and arguably no longer a human being. You're just monkey-shaped meat.

Yes, I include those who have lost their marbles gradually as well as suddenly, or who never possessed them to begin with.

At the point where I cannot understand or answer the question "Do you want to live?", then the answer is no, I do not. Game over. Opiate overdose, give anything usable to British taxpayers, wrap the remaining meat in some newspapers, and roll it in a ditch.

Hmm, I probably should write this down.

Maybe I just did. You all witnessed it.

Totes serious about the British taxpayers bit, as well.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that opens the topic nicely.

Get your affairs in order NOW. If you let the state take care of it on your behalf because you failed to, you can be sure the state will come out if it rather better off than those you failed to name who are left behind.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
As morbid as it is, I am considering writing a letter to be opened in the case of my death.

What use is that if you're potato?

"If only he'd die we could open this letter stating what his wishes are re: switching him off"

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:20 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

What if you had a heart attack? with a DNR in place you'd croak for no good reason.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

What if you had a heart attack? with a DNR in place you'd croak for no good reason.

I beg to differ, if I've had a heart attack serious enough to land me in that position, it is not for no reason.

What if your heart attack potatoes you and you are saved from death only to spend the next few years dribbling yourself in that direction one miserable day at a time.

When it's your time, it's your time.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

https://ministryofethics.co.uk/?p=11&q=1

Quote:
Does every patient have CPR?
When patients have cardiac and/or respiratory arrest there is presumed consent to CPR unless the patient specifically refused this therapy in advance.
There will be some patients for which CPR would be inappropriate (final stages of terminal disease where CPR would not be successful). Neither patients nor relatives can demand treatment which is clinically inappropriate to them.

Quite fortunate having a heart attack inside a hospital, good forward planning...
medics on scene will not be aware of a DNR as far as I know

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

I know someone who was resuscitated after a motorbike accident, and he's fine. Also know someone who OD'd on drugs, he was resuscitated, and he's fine. I'd like them to have a go saving me but not keep a cabbage alive for the sake of it (apart from for organ harvesting purposes).

Rogerborg wrote:
What gets me is this obsession that the State has with keeping potato-people alive. What's the merit? Once your brain is gone, you're no longer you, and arguably no longer a human being. You're just monkey-shaped meat.

Yes, I include those who have lost their marbles gradually as well as suddenly, or who never possessed them to begin with.

At the point where I cannot understand or answer the question "Do you want to live?", then the answer is no, I do not. Game over. Opiate overdose, give anything usable to British taxpayers, wrap the remaining meat in some newspapers, and roll it in a ditch.

Hmm, I probably should write this down.

Maybe I just did. You all witnessed it.

Totes serious about the British taxpayers bit, as well.

I don't understand keeping people alive for the sake of keeping them alive either. I think for most people it's a case of losing your independence, for people born severely disabled that's all they've ever known (referring to the recent assisted suicide debate).

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that once life is viable ( and that's not a life ) law and ethics say that must be maintaibed. So it's all fine if you recuscitate and recover to a nice place. It's when or if you don't.

I've already made my choice.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only do I want to be switched off if I'm potato, I want to be able to switch myself off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38500873
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:18 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Quite fortunate having a heart attack inside a hospital, good forward planning...

8 series of House M.D. can't have lied to me, can they? Shocked

Medical dramas love to show people being repeatedly zapped back into life and full health. The former, maybe, but zappypaddles don't cure the damaged heart or brain.

It's a tough call to make without knowing beforehand how bad you're going to croak or how quickly you'll get jump-started again.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

I beg to differ, if I've had a heart attack serious enough to land me in that position, it is not for no reason.

What if your heart attack potatoes you and you are saved from death only to spend the next few years dribbling yourself in that direction one miserable day at a time.

When it's your time, it's your time.

I kind of agree, by the time you are in need of resus then the hard part of dying, the pain/fear/anxiety bit, is already over as you are unconscious by this point.

So from my own perspective I'm already dead, the horrible bit is over and it's goodnight sweet prince time. Alternatively I could get resus'd, I might be more or less OK (altho the fact that I needed resus indicates that things are awry) or I could wake up vegetabelated/missing limbs/dribbler etc.

Why take the risk on the negative outcome?

https://i.imgur.com/tlingPv.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:17 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heinous that people are forced to live in great pain and/or in a vegetative state. I don't agree that it's ethical, at all. There was a news item recently about a man in great pain who's going through the courts for his right to be allowed to die (i.e. for his medical aid and sustenance to be discontinued). If the law allowed it, I would have no compunction at all against paying him a visit with a knife. It would be an act of great mercy or charity. The coup de grace, the misericorde.. I wouldn't waste a minute getting over there, or talking about it, and I wouldn't charge anyone a penny. But, as it stands, that would be murder. The law is patently, absurdly regressive on such matters. Perhaps this has happened partly because of the diminution in importance of judge-made case law as part of the legal system. In the 18th and 19th centuries, they wouldn't have shied from discussing the ethical dimensions of the issue, using principles of logic and reason, in the higher courts. But now, judges are less competent, more politically minded and completely spineless.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3