Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

When it's your time, it's your time.

Close the NHS, first sign of illness = your time. Shocked
No thanks, I'll take every second, third, n+1 chance I can get.

Hang on, are you saying that you've been resuscitated and wish you hadn't?

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are confusing various conditions here.

If someone has a heart attack, they are normally talking (admittedly in agony) but not rarely in cardiac arrest. Cardiac arrest is where the heart stops beating. At this point a DNAR comes into play. Bare in mind it must be legal and valid for an ambulance crew and hospital to pay any attention to that. In most areas that means being signed by a Doctor or appropriate practitioner (think palliative care nurse) in advance of the event happening. Good luck in convincing your GP to sign that.

Even then, a DNAR means pretty just only "no CPR", so if you're in respiratory arrest they will still use a bag valve mask to keep you alive. If you have a heart attack they will still rush you to have treatment at the nearest appropriate hospital and treat you with anticoagulants.

DNAR pretty much means no jumpy jumpy bouncy bouncy. If you're a vegetable, they'll still do whatever to keep you alive until you arrest. If you want an advance directive then that should cover you for all circumstances you can think of, but bare in mind conditions chronic and acute are rarely simple enough to be covered in a letter.

I have neither. My partner has a pillow and strong arms though.

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:24 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
sgtcalle wrote:
As morbid as it is, I am considering writing a letter to be opened in the case of my death.

What use is that if you're potato?

"If only he'd die we could open this letter stating what his wishes are re: switching him off"

Very good point Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Medical dramas love to show people being repeatedly zapped back into life and full health. The former, maybe, but zappypaddles don't cure the damaged heart or brain.

Well the survival rate for performing CPR on someone in the street's fairly low (9% or something?), but then do you tell yourself that and watch them die or do something? Some guys were chatting outside work, after a few minutes noticed someone passed out who had turned blue, did hands only CPR and the guy recovered even coming in to thank them (with a card and £50 each).

Another example was on one of Louis Theroux's programs, where he followed 3 random patients in an American hospital. One of them was potato'd from a drugs OD IIRC, and they were ready to pull the plug, his family were jesus freaks and sure the lord would save him... he recovered Smile

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can inconvenience people as a brain-dead cabbage then I see that as a final win. Screw flipping the switch, I rule! \m/

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
There was a news item recently about a man in great pain who's going through the courts for his right to be allowed to die (i.e. for his medical aid and sustenance to be discontinued).

In a post just a little bit further up the page, I wrote:
Not only do I want to be switched off if I'm potato, I want to be able to switch myself off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38500873

Thumbs Up
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:10 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure on the event of my death, a fair few people would throw a party apon hearing the news...

I told my mum a while ago if i died, my core organs could be donated... But I wanted to keep my eyes and brain. I know i dont need them but something doesnt feel right for me about them being taken.

But as she passed away :/ no one knows. I should speak to dad about it.

But as for being Mr Potato... If im in a coma. Fuck all im going to know about it. But If im in a coma and on one of those strange dramescape things happening... Leave me be...

If I am totally brain dead. Well... Im gone.

If I'm locked in, shut off behind my eyes. Not even able to blink and look around but at the same time being totally aware of everything. Put a pillow over my head.

Maybe drug me first though, suffocation isnt fun.

If I'm paraplegic, Theres always hope for spinal reconstruction... Some seriously major break throughs over the last few years. So not all hope is lost there.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

If I'm locked in, shut off behind my eyes. Not even able to blink and look around but at the same time being totally aware of everything. Put a pillow over my head.

Fuck that, I've seen this video too many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a close friend or relative who shares your wishes, I'd have thought one of the best things you could do would be to complete and submit a Lasting Power of Attorney while you are fit and well, specifying your wishes under these circumstances:
https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home#/guide/topic-lpa-basics
LPAs are designed to give your chosen close friend or relative the power to act on your behalf when you lack the capacity to do so yourself. There are two different LPAs, one for property and financial affairs, and another for health and welfare; they cost £110 each to register but at least you don't need to pay a solicitor.

That said; it's certainly not a foolproof method of getting yourself switched off, as it can't override basic tenets of the law; nevertheless it's a very good way of establishing your wishes clearly and legally, with no room for any doubt as to whether 'it's what he would have wanted".
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

alan29
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:33 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife and I discuss this from time to time. We have a mutual agreement not to resuscitate.
About voluntary euthanasia. People already have the right to die. Not too sure about the right to demand that someone kills you though. I sort of hope that if I developed a degenerative condition I would have the guts to take matters into my own hands while I still could, and not wait until I had to get someone else to do it for me. Thats a hell of a big ask.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a Donner card. In the event of my death, you can help yourself to my kebab.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:57 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan29 wrote:
We have a mutual agreement not to resuscitate.

Written?

alan29 wrote:
About voluntary euthanasia. People already have the right to die.

In your head, or in law? I guess they can't be prosecuted if they succeed.

alan29
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:07 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
alan29 wrote:
We have a mutual agreement not to resuscitate.

Written?

alan29 wrote:
About voluntary euthanasia. People already have the right to die.

In your head, or in law? I guess they can't be prosecuted if they succeed.

Not written. Maybe it should be.
People used to get prosecuted for attempted suicide. They no longer do. Yes we have the right to die already.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan29 wrote:

People used to get prosecuted for attempted suicide. They no longer do. Yes we have the right to die already.

The filth, social workers and the medical profession will treat you as mentally ill and section you so that you can't, though.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure many life insurance policies wont pay out if you top yourself either.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:

I don't think anyone who tops themselves would be giving a toss.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:06 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan29 wrote:
Yes we have the right to die already.

In your head. OK, got you.

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
kerr wrote:

I don't think anyone who tops themselves would be giving a toss.

You might be surprised. If I ever get diagnosed with something terminal and debilitating (e.g. incurable liberalism), I'll be looking for ways to accidentally-on-purpose do myself in. I'm worth far more to Mrs Borg dead than alive.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only actions I want upon my death are that my KMX 125 and all the other bikes and spares go to a mad committed owner that will look after it and not strip all the parts off it to sell and scrap the rest.

The same with my Rover coupe, it's worth nothing being a Rover, but I don't want it passed around a few yobs on council estates and then crashed or burnt-out. Its probably a good track car for someone who wants something unusual and understeery that's not a rigid hatchback or mainfield like a Golf or Pug 205.

I'll take my favourite mountain bike with me into the fire or hole though, no other fucker but me is ever riding it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You might be surprised. If I ever get diagnosed with something terminal and debilitating (e.g. incurable liberalism), I'll be looking for ways to accidentally-on-purpose do myself in. I'm worth far more to Mrs Borg dead than alive.

My dad has said the same thing, make it look like an accident for the life insurance payout. Come to think of it he has been looking at canoes recently Thinking

stevo as b4 wrote:
The only actions I want upon my death are that my KMX 125 and all the other bikes and spares go to a mad committed owner that will look after it and not strip all the parts off it to sell and scrap the rest.

I'll find it and make sure it goes to a 17yr old Wink

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm worth far more to Mrs Borg dead than alive.

I'll take you cliff diving, I'm kind like that.

My housemate is under instructions to set fire to my computer and my phone after hitting them repeatedly with a hammer... Wink

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in hospital trying not to die there was a man across from me I would guess on his last legs. Nice enough chap, an older Pakistani muslim.

The bloke had heart problems, chronic diabetes, one leg and kidney failure, had to go for dialysis every 2 days.

His wife was in every day from the beginning of visiting hours, (10am) until she was kicked out at 8pm and about 20 of his other family came in each day. She did everything for him he wanted. Fed him, washed him etc. Pissed the nurses off a bit as well, getting in the way.

The NHS had set up room in his house with oxygen, monitoring equipment etc. and were going to send him home to her care.

I said to my wife, 'Would you look after me if I was like that? She laughed, and laughed and said 'In your dreams, I'd smother you'. Laughing

I would rather be dead than like that but he had a completely different outlook on life and a much more supportive family group who were willing to 'carry' him.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point at which I become unable to end my own life or communicate that I would like to and am likely to remain in that condition with minimal chance of recovery, that is when it's time for me to go. I don't wanna be perma-potato, nor do I wish my family to have to deal with that.

If I don't log into my google account for a certain period it sends messages to nominated people. It tells a friend (and executor of my will) where my spare safe keys are, and to destroy my hard drives. There is also a message to my partner that is sent.

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Assuming you have a close friend or relative who shares your wishes, I'd have thought one of the best things you could do would be to complete and submit a Lasting Power of Attorney while you are fit and well, specifying your wishes under these circumstances:
https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home#/guide/topic-lpa-basics
LPAs are designed to give your chosen close friend or relative the power to act on your behalf when you lack the capacity to do so yourself. There are two different LPAs, one for property and financial affairs, and another for health and welfare; they cost £110 each to register but at least you don't need to pay a solicitor.

That said; it's certainly not a foolproof method of getting yourself switched off, as it can't override basic tenets of the law; nevertheless it's a very good way of establishing your wishes clearly and legally, with no room for any doubt as to whether 'it's what he would have wanted".

My wife and I did exactly this only yesterday at our solicitors, it gives us full control over each others affairs, and as we'very been married for 47 years, I'm quite confident we have each others best interests at heart. That would be a very important consideration for anyone considering a Lasting power of attorney.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only fear upon death is that my wife will sell my bikes for what I told her I paid for them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3