Lorry racing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
You're working on the basis that truck drivers care about other road users.

As with so many in so many professions, many have a, ah, 'significant' view of their own importance in the world in relation to others.

I think people who earn their living on the road are the worst (from bicycle couriers all the way up to HGV drivers), but after having to do a course with a bunch of truckers I left with the opinion they're a dangerous mix of stupidity and arrogance. A few incidents on the road have also helped me reach this conclusion.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because:

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Lolz!

Sadly.

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without sounding bias here, but I see the problem with the car drivers. It only takes a car a matter of seconds to overtake a lorry so as soon as they have overtaken the lorry in lane 3 they should move over the lanes back to the left, but they very seldom do.

Last week I seen a Vauxhall Corsa driving about 60ish on the outside lane. Nothing in lanes 1 or 2; except me. A Merc comes up behind the car in lane 3 and starts to tailgate it for a bit, then it moves over into lane 2 but decides not to undertake the Corsa. The Corsa then moves over into lane 2 and blocks the Merc from passing in lane 2. The Merc then goes back to lane 3 to complete the overtake and as soon as the Merc passes the Corsa moves back into lane 3 again!!!

Like I said, the road was perfectly clear for miles in the distance and happened to have no other cars in sight at this particular time.

Another thing which seriously grinds my gears are cars not moving out of lane 2 and into lane 3 when you put your indicator on when you need to overtake another lorry.

I understand that they don't need to move over, etc but when you are trying to overtake something which is moving 1 mph slower than you, and you need to brake to allow the car to pass - it takes forever to build up speed again to get past the vehicle again which could possibly result in the picture from the first page.

I also think that it was just unfortunate timing for the OP by approaching the scene when he did. Because out of the 3 lorries as soon as one overtakes the other (like lane 2 lorry overtaking lane 1 lorry OR lane 3 lorry overtaking lorry 2), they would move over and free up 2 lanes.

It is very unlikely that all 3 lorries would be identical (same engine power, same gearing, same weight, same weight of load, etc) so one of the lorries would have got in front soon enough.

Sorry, while I am at this; another thing which grinds my gears (sorry for the rant) is women (usually older women) driving up the motorway at 50ish. Again, I know that they are not doing anything wrong, but when overtaking these cars, they almost never flash you back over and it is difficult to judge the length of a trailer so you leave them more space before going back over - which leaves you lingering out in lane 2 for longer than you would like to have been; causing congestion at busy times of the day. Every car on the road today should be able to do at least 60 (exceptions made when unable to) so there is no reason why they should be driving so slowly - and it almost always at the busiest times of the day.

And before I finish (sorry) the other thing which fucks me off is coming up towards Preston where the M6 and M61 merge there are 5 lanes and you need to move from the middle lane over to the left before going up the hill. The amount of car drivers who sit on your on your inside and will not decrease their speed or increase it to let you over is unreal.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I fully appreciate that Lorries need to be there - and also to overtake...

But I cant get my head around why there was a need to overtake the overtaker?

So given your logic.. Why do we have roads with 3+ lanes then......

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:12 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:

Another thing which seriously grinds my gears are cars not moving out of lane 2 and into lane 3 when you put your indicator on when you need to overtake another lorry.

You mean the ones that seam to slow down and sit next to you for no known reason.

Gazz wrote:
Sorry, while I am at this; another thing which grinds my gears (sorry for the rant) is women (usually older women) driving up the motorway at 50ish. Again, I know that they are not doing anything wrong, but when overtaking these cars, they almost never flash you back over and it is difficult to judge the length of a trailer so you leave them more space before going back over

Or the ones that decide they don't want to be overtaken by a truck and speed up and still sit next to you. I'm sure there's a rule in the highway code that suggests you slow a little if an overtake is taking a while.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:14 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it:

Quote:
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:31 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowing down in that case is more related to a case where the vehicle overtaking you is in the oncoming lane I would suggest.

For the truck test you are taught to slow down in that situation if need be due to the increased danger overtaking a long vehicle provides.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

for work I cover suffolk, Norfolk and Essex (occasionally Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, London...) and I've cover3d 48k miles in the year I've had this car.

only time I've really been peeved by a lorry overtake on the a14 (2 Lane). the 'overtaking' lorry was a couple of cars length behind the 'slower lorry' for a good 4 miles.

I ended up undertaking the 'overtaking lorry' with enough room to get in front of it and piss off in to the distance with miles of empty road. the lorry didn't seem to get the hint.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I fully appreciate that Lorries need to be there - and also to overtake...

But I cant get my head around why there was a need to overtake the overtaker?

So given your logic.. Why do we have roads with 3+ lanes then......

Hi, the point was that they are all slow moving and the speed differential is so small - the 3rd one may as well have just waited a few seconds longer and continued in his lane once Lorry 2 had completed his manoeuvre...

So to answer your question: For traffic with a greater speed differential to overtake obviously.

If you are sat at 75mph in a car, and the vehicle in front of you is travelling at 72mph overtaking another vehicle that is going 70mph, would you move out into Lane 3 to overtake? Or would you just be patient and wait for the overtaker in front of you you move back over? - I'd wait.

Please note the above assumes I'm in the car and not on the bike. Smile Id be past and gone if on the bike. Smile

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Slowing down in that case is more related to a case where the vehicle overtaking you is in the oncoming lane I would suggest.

For the truck test you are taught to slow down in that situation if need be due to the increased danger overtaking a long vehicle provides.

I always assumed the term overtaking in the highway code applied to all overtaking? Not just overtaking on a single lane road. But that is only my personal view not substantiated in any way by evidence. Smile

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Stuff - rant - stuff

I think you are correct about the timing. I imagine it would have all balanced out shortly after I went past. Even less need for Lorry 3 to have started the move in that case imo.

"Most" lorrys I come across are much better behaved than "most" car drivers, so Id still rather get rid of the cars! Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case they specify "if necessary to let the vehicle pass"; it could be argued that it's only 'necessary' if they're in the opposing lane.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
In this case they specify "if necessary to let the vehicle pass"; it could be argued that it's only 'necessary' if they're in the opposing lane.

Yeah I suppose so.

Necessary could also apply to it being necessary for them to pull in to stop slowing down traffic coming up behind them?

But necessary to avoid a crash would probably trump that. Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

If you are sat at 75mph in a car, and the vehicle in front of you is travelling at 72mph overtaking another vehicle that is going 70mph, would you move out into Lane 3 to overtake? Or would you just be patient and wait for the overtaker in front of you you move back over? - I'd wait.

Please note the above assumes I'm in the car and not on the bike. Smile Id be past and gone if on the bike. Smile

Yes. Thumbs Up

And why not. I'm going faster than them..... And that couple of seconds off my trip time makes all the difference Laughing

How many times do you decide to wait and find that they don't move back to the lefthand lane after getting passed the other car Twisted Evil

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread so far has not delivered what I was expecting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVLh2Y-Yeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNHncZKGCkI

MOAR DIS, PLZ.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you wanted to keep it (kind of) motorbike related...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhurSqqEoGI

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Yes. Thumbs Up

And why not. I'm going faster than them..... And that couple of seconds off my trip time makes all the difference Laughing

How many times do you decide to wait and find that they don't move back to the lefthand lane after getting passed the other car Twisted Evil

Haha, quite often to be fair. I'm still not going to overtake in that situation... wherever you are going - whoever you are meeting...

If you are important enough they will wait. 😂
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really want to be the smug bastard in the 750bhp mega powered rig ideally, so you can do all your overtakes uphill on long motorway inclines, so that while lesser men in lesser equipment are slowing down, changing down and billowing smoke out, you can breeze past with your 44tons steady on the limiter

Downhill overtaking is a complete free for all though, and it does depend on how the transport company tracks and rules it's drivers. You can't with many strict firms get away with knocking it into neutral and hurtling past 70mph, unless your polski that is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe some are bonused etc on economy too though - so 750hp only good if you don't have to balance your mpgs with time.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-G wrote:
I go to Stoke twice a week

Live in Brum and now this?

Who did you piss off in a previous life?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point if your hounded over mpg you don't want more power than you need to keep plodding along at 50-52mph.

Apparently 750bhp has alot of advantages though, as because nothing can slow you down, and your acceleration up to the speed limits is much more rapid, you can over a long day save alot of time and really shorten your days drive over many hours at work.

It also has man points if your rig is the big V8 with more poke than anyone elses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*takes notes for Euro Truck simulator* Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2