Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

commuting in winter joy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: commuting in winter joy Reply with quote

Not many bikes out on commute this morning in the southeast.. only one usual an old timer on his Honda 90, and I got a nod! Thumbs Up Get in.

Mate at work on his GS - mind he his proper hard core to the alps on a Friday night back in work on Monday type.

nowt like a bit of technical ice riding though - had 1/4 mile of half inch virgin sheet ice to the main road this morning. I discovered its fine unless you try to put your feet down Smile

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpark at Tower Hill was sparse today.. I think the last of the fair-weather riders have tucked their toys in for hibernation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left bike at home today, too much sheet ice about this morning.

Living in the sticks is fine until the snow starts! Confused

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday evening was a fun ride home. Got caught up longer than I wanted in work, so didn't get to leave until sleet started hitting. Was fairly heavy snow before I got home. The windscreen was just white, but keeping the worst off me. Had to keep wiping the snow off my visor, and as the pinlock was overwhelmed sometimes crack it open - which meant clearing snow off the top so it could move!
But other than needing a bit more care than normal, it was uneventful. Only saw two other bikes out though, which is pretty unusual.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Same.

Cars in the garage over the weekend and next week though - so rain / snow or shine the bikes coming out monday. Ice or no ice.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lies. No one was on the road except Bodyguard.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to bamt but I just caught the start of the snow last night. Was an odd sensation riding through the snow, felt like I was going much faster than I was.

Kudos to the Dominos guys though, they were still giving it hell for leather even in those conditions!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ice and snow on the way to the main road was "fun" this morning.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Carpark at Tower Hill was sparse today.. I think the last of the fair-weather riders have tucked their toys in for hibernation.

I'll have to keep my eye out for you as I park around there.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode to the gritted roads with just my legs out thinking that it might have helped if it started to slip. Got on the roads and was fine. People at work treat me like I'm so big and hard and brave. Funny really.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

I'll have to keep my eye out for you as I park around there.

I'm currently the loudest bike in there.. can't miss me!

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Yesterday evening was a fun ride home. Got caught up longer than I wanted in work, so didn't get to leave until sleet started hitting. Was fairly heavy snow before I got home. The windscreen was just white, but keeping the worst off me. Had to keep wiping the snow off my visor, and as the pinlock was overwhelmed sometimes crack it open - which meant clearing snow off the top so it could move!

Pretty much sums up my journey home yesterday evening. Ride home was uneventful until I turned onto the driveway then the rear wheel slid out but caught traction again before I totally binned it.

Kris wrote:

This. Took the train in.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Rode to the gritted roads with just my legs out thinking that it might have helped if it started to slip. Got on the roads and was fine. People at work treat me like I'm so big and hard and brave. Funny really.

the ZZR or the little honda?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's ride home is in my personal 'top 5 most miserable rides, ever'

I hadn't packed my waterproof gear, good start.

I left work [central London] at 17:45 to start my 40 mile commute (when it had already started tipping down with snow) and all was well - but ten mins in I had Pinlock failure - the visor started misting up so I had to repeatedly open visor, which meant that it got wet inside too.

I then felt my feet start to get wet (It turns out that my SMX5 WPs have small holes in them) - by the time I joined the A13 my feet were pretty cold, soaking wet and quite painful.

By the time I was halfway down the A13 I could no longer feel my feet (as in genuinely numb, couldn't move my toes) - but on the plus side they weren't hurting any more.
My jacket was now saturated and my inner clothing had now also started to get wet. I was starting to shake with cold.

My heated gloves then stopped working.

Visibility was a continual fight - possibly the worst I've experienced, I had to keep cracking visor to see where I was going, which was pretty painful on my eyes.

I got to the Pitsea flyover and bailed off the A13 because my hands were starting to get _really_ cold too and it was getting dangerous - anyway, I pulled over [nearly dropped the bike] and managed to get heated gloves working again (I'd leant on the controller and managed to turn it off) so that was good - after a few mins of defrosting my hands, I headed off again and pootled along the old A13 [London Road] and rejoined at Sadler's farm (A127-bound) - as I was on the slip road I completely lost my bearings, the slip-road was covered in snow so it was hard to find the lanes and I was struggling to see out through the open visor (not many cars had used the slip road by the looks of it, luckily for me there were no cars around me at the time) - I thought that I'd wandered over to the nearside kerb, so I started to drift right and I suddenly felt the front end wash out on the painted road markings - I had steering full lock and put one leg down and held my arm out ready to come off, but by some amazing piece of luck the bike caught itself and wobbled itself straight. (I twisted my ankle a little though)
Thankfully I managed to limp the bike the rest of the way home and stripped out of my gear - I then had to go upstairs on my knees because I discovered that I couldn't walk without the boots on.

I then ran a bath (it was only 36 degrees, but it felt like boiling water) and clambered in - after 30 secs the pain in my feet was unbelievable - it took five mins of pretty miserable pain before they started to go pink again.
Now I know what it's like to ride in Scotland in August.

I'm going shopping tomorrow for some Goretex SMX6 boots - no way am I having wet feet again!

(I rode in today though)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:54 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

+1, throw in a steep hill with a sharp bend and that 200 yards to the gritted roads might as well be 2000 miles (BodyGuard's daily commute).

The season is over. Hand

...until Monday.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, A13 was pretty crappy last night. Thankfully I finished work a spot earlier than you, so just rain when I left the centre and just starting with slushy sleaty snow when I was on A13. Loads of places had flash flooding too, lots of fun. Visibility was crap, glasses kept steaming up, and every time I cracked open visor I got a load of rain down inside of it... Thankfully my old SMX5 WP's did hold up. I'm with you, my old SMX4's wore a hole in sole then began to leak. Rukka gear kept me pretty try, but their old and not the poshed ones, so outer layer got sodden and was pretty cold to wear. The Gerbing's were definitely life savers though.

I think the worst was the grid lock on the A13, full of frustrated drivers in super steamed up cars who kept drifting in lanes or trying to swap lanes to creep forward a fraction quicker. It really wasn't the weather for emergency stops.

I only go as far as Dagenham, so didn't see anything super bad out in sticks. Also meant this mornings commute was pretty uneventful, with only the 50 metres of side street I live on having any kind of frost on the surface.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ride in yesterday because weather, although I did get caught in a torrential downpour on Monday. TCX explorer evo gore-tex boots seemed to hold up well. Looks like I could have ridden in today though only snowed a bit over lunch and all gone now Confused

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

I left work [central London] at 17:45 to start my 40 mile commute (when it had already started tipping down with snow) and all was well - but ten mins in I had Pinlock failure - the visor started misting up so I had to repeatedly open visor, which meant that it got wet inside too.

I then felt my feet start to get wet (It turns out that my SMX5 WPs have small holes in them) - by the time I joined the A13 my feet were pretty cold, soaking wet and quite painful.

By the time I was halfway down the A13 I could no longer feel my feet (as in genuinely numb, couldn't move my toes) - but on the plus side they weren't hurting any more.
My jacket was now saturated and my inner clothing had now also started to get wet. I was starting to shake with cold.

Visibility was a continual fight - possibly the worst I've experienced, I had to keep cracking visor to see where I was going, which was pretty painful on my eyes.

I got to the Pitsea flyover and bailed off the A13 because my hands were starting to get _really_ cold too and it was getting dangerous - anyway, I pulled over [nearly dropped the bike] and managed to get heated gloves working again (I'd leant on the controller and managed to turn it off) so that was good - after a few mins of defrosting my hands, I headed off again and pootled along the old A13 [London Road] and rejoined at Sadler's farm (A127-bound) - as I was on the slip road I completely lost my bearings, the slip-road was covered in snow so it was hard to find the lanes and I was struggling to see out through the open visor (not many cars had used the slip road by the looks of it, luckily for me there were no cars around me at the time) - I thought that I'd wandered over to the nearside kerb, so I started to drift right and I suddenly felt the front end wash out on the painted road markings - I had steering full lock and put one leg down and held my arm out ready to come off, but by some amazing piece of luck the bike caught itself and wobbled itself straight. (I twisted my ankle a little though)
Thankfully I managed to limp the bike the rest of the way home and stripped out of my gear - I then had to go upstairs on my knees because I discovered that I couldn't walk without the boots on.

I then ran a bath (it was only 36 degrees, but it felt like boiling water) and clambered in - after 30 secs the pain in my feet was unbelievable - it took five mins of pretty miserable pain before they started to go pink again.

I'm going shopping tomorrow for some Goretex SMX6 boots - no way am I having wet feet again!

(I rode in today though)

Still beats the tube Very Happy

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:47 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around Leicester/Harborough there was heavy rain coupled with low temps on the way home yesterday. Today roads were clear as I left my place at 730am ish....by 8am I was in what felt/looked like a blizzard....i pinned it to get to work asap...by the time I was a couple of streets away the roads were covered with snow. By 930am all the snow had melted away.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

(I rode in today though)

THIS!! I am a new rider so obviously my experience in such conditions isn't extensive but I imagine yesterday's ride to be one of the worst I will experience in a while.

As a newbie, I hadn't got the most expensive or top quality gear as I wanted to feel out the stuff for my first time.

Central London, 4:30pm, Wet bike, My "winter" gloves got soaking wet really soon, felt my boots getting filled with water (RST but quite battered), pinlock not working about 10mins in. It was terrible!

Such a pain of a journey in the last 20minutes, I literally couldn't feel my hands when I got off the bike at the end, I spent 2minutes defrosting my hands before I could even reach into my pocket for the house key.

It was a wake-up call, going to get decent quality waterproof gloves, a good pair of boots although I don't have a huge budget unfortunately.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:02 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the middle of nowhere, so at 6am this morning, with blizzardy weather I was riding like a nun for about 5 miles until I got on the main roads, but and this point I'd got condensation inside the visor. I'd left my (barely) waterproof overtrousers in the office, so i only had my old (not) waterproofs at home. Better than nothing, right? Nope. Balls and gooch soaking and cold. Can't see, and slipping.

Days like this make it really tempting to buy a car for backup.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy one?

Just rent one for the < 10 days a year it's really cold and shit or just lift share / taxi it Smile

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
going to get decent quality waterproof gloves, a good pair of boots although I don't have a huge budget unfortunately.

You'd be surprised how good *some* budget gear or even second hand gear can be. I've been wearing my SMX5 WP boots (bought them second hand) for 3 years now, through all conditions. Never let water in, plenty warm in the winter and breath enough in the summer.
My Frank Thomas jacket I got for £35 at the NEC Bike Show in 2013. Worn it through every winter since. Still perfectly waterproof and warm. I haven't actually washed it since I got it!

Don't assume higher price will mean better quality. I'd suggest you find some gear you think is good and ask here for opinions as chances are someone has used it so you'll get real reviews, not the usual "bought it, love the colour" reviews you get on the seller's websites!

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Why buy one?

Just rent one for the < 10 days a year it's really cold and shit or just lift share / taxi it Smile

I'm from Yorkshire. If money is leaving my pocket, I want something to show for it Smile

TBF, If I were to buy a car, it would be for all the little trips that mean going on a motorway, or slogging something about that I cant fit on the bike / in a backpack etc.

I'm more likely to do my big boy licence this year, rather than buy a car anyways. The Mrs uses our car for her job, and I nick it if I have to.

Anyways, 8 hours into my shift and my meat and two veg are still moist. Kevlar jeans are still wet, gloves and jacket still wet. On the plus side, it is dry and the snow has gone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:23 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
It was a wake-up call, going to get decent quality waterproof gloves, a good pair of boots although I don't have a huge budget unfortunately.

Muffs cost less than gloves. I've paid £40 for Tucano Urbano, £9.50 for generic, and in the latest bargain, £7 delivered for BitzForBikes branded ones, all of which work much better at keeping the rain, wind and cold away from my fingers than any pair of gloves I'd tried, including Gore-Tex, or 3-finger lobster-mitts.

Gore-tex lined army boots are (IME) fully - and I mean extended lashing gales, trudging through a highland peat bog - waterproof, and can be had barely worn for around £30. My last pair finally wore through the soles after 5 1/2 years of daily use, but were still bone dry.

Or SealSkinz socks (cheaper Gore-Tex liner alternatives are available) will keep your feet dry, although the sensation of having wet socks but dry feet is quite kinky.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2