Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I didn't realise bike theft in London was THIS bad...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:25 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite bad where I live for a while for bike theft.
The little shits are all over Facebook on stolen bikes and people are reporting names to police but nothing is really being done,waiting for an owner to catch one and give them a pasting but they will end up in jail for protecting their property,the law needs to get back to what is lawful, not legal!

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of hoping to move to the US or something in a few years if I gain a good job offer or something, I'd love to live there, at least to try it, especially to travel the country there, would be a dream. The possibility of carrying a Desert Eagle which means you can shoot someone through your house into the neighbours garage is appealing Laughing

But yeah, I'd be surprised if they had the cheek to do that kinda crap in Russia or US, cause citizens can actually defend themselves more so than here.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:44 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:

But yeah, I'd be surprised if they had the cheek to do that kinda crap in Russia or US, cause citizens can actually defend themselves more so than here.

Or they'd just make sure they had guns themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiFcCKWUMRg

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:04 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
rapt0r1997 wrote:

That is true, however I can also see situations develop differently when citizens are able to defend themselves with weaponry, it basically has its ups and downs, there are issues with people bearing arms.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
G wrote:

That is true, however I can also see situations develop differently when citizens are able to defend themselves with weaponry, it basically has its ups and downs, there are issues with people bearing arms.

Look at America......ok, had a good look? Good.

Look at Japan......ok, and are you still seriously suggesting that giving people more guns is the answer?

If so, you're a fucking idiot. HTH.

(For those that don't know, Japan has the strictest gun laws in the world and funnily enough has the fewest amount of gun deaths. Arming the general population, who by and large are thick is not the solution.)

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:

They also ride big boy bikes too - couple on an R6 (Stolen no doubt) came past me the other day - number plate missing of course, driving like lunatics. I can only hope they come off at speed into something solid but then some poor sod loses their R6 in a ball of flames. God I hate them.

Not so bad then, If my bike gets stolen then I really do hope that it kills the cunt. Thumbs Up
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Look at America......ok, had a good look? Good.

Look at Japan......ok, and are you still seriously suggesting that giving people more guns is the answer?

If so, you're a fucking idiot. HTH.

(For those that don't know, Japan has the strictest gun laws in the world and funnily enough has the fewest amount of gun deaths. Arming the general population, who by and large are thick is not the solution.)

Fair points.
To clarify, I wasn't suggesting the country as a whole would be safer with guns...

However I would be willing to assume that the scum who are stealing mid-range bikes in a country without guns, are likely to arm up and steal something higher value instead.
Bike thefts themselves would largely become too much hassle if they have to consider being crippled or deaded by ballistic weapons.

Granted this just shifts the problem to the more wealthy, but they have the money to deal with it. Very Happy

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
I heard down the line that the police in London at least were starting to pursue stolen bikes and idiots again?

The last I heard the no-pursuit policy was for helmetless riders, so they just take there lid off if a copper dares to follow them. The way I see it if they kill themselves in a chase you've solved the problem, if you catch them you've solved the problem, if you do nothing you're not even attempting to solve the problem. Also it's not just bikers affected, they use these bikes for muggings etc.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also it's not just bikers affected, they use these bikes for muggings etc.

And robberies, pretty much anything where you want away from the scene in a hurry. I think they've proven to be enough of a problem that punting them off into street furniture should be allowed now.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:16 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Raynepalz solves this problem too? Arrons, enlighten me.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being nieve, but surely the police know the areas where these bike life/theives scum come from and live? Is it north of the river or south? East or West London? They should have a pretty good idea of the streets and even the houses or tower blocks they live in?

While it's more work than simply poisoning the water supply to these places,They could carry out more dawn raids and stop everything that moves or just have arrangements with known criminals from the area to use as informants.

Put enough effort in, and you could actually make life more difficult for the scumbags that steal bikes. Can they not watch mobile phone locations when Facebook posts are made by the scum showing off their latest nicked bikes?

I understand London is too busy with 1000's of real crimes like stabbings, shootings, rapes and murders every day, but I bet plod could with just a couple of months resources close down alot of the known bike theft activity with some help and good information.

Are all the kids on scooters that steal the bikes and carry out bag snatches, muggings and shop raids, dumb shits that just want the bikes for joy rides and making into bonfires, or are some of them actually clever enough to sell or strip and list the bikes as spares to make some money? Or do they just steal for using the bikes in crime or for having a laugh with and dumping in the canal after its fucked?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:18 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
I need to move countries.

Not to Scotchland, the Edinburgh neds are emulating the London massive now.

Curiously, Glasgow seems to be mostly OK for now.

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Japan has the strictest gun laws in the world and funnily enough has the fewest amount of gun deaths.

Twice as many as Hong Kong.

Bear in mind that Japanese coppers are reluctant to even record a crime, let alone prosecute it, unless they have a suspect ready to confess.

I rather suspect that we're heading the same way, at least regarding property crime like bike theft.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Forgive me for being nieve, but surely the police know the areas where these bike life/theives scum come from and live? Is it north of the river or south? East or West London? They should have a pretty good idea of the streets and even the houses or tower blocks they live in?

While it's more work than simply poisoning the water supply to these places,They could carry out more dawn raids and stop everything that moves or just have arrangements with known criminals from the area to use as informants.

Put enough effort in, and you could actually make life more difficult for the scumbags that steal bikes. Can they not watch mobile phone locations when Facebook posts are made by the scum showing off their latest nicked bikes?

Are all the kids on scooters that steal the bikes and carry out bag snatches, muggings and shop raids, dumb shits that just want the bikes for joy rides and making into bonfires, or are some of them actually clever enough to sell or strip and list the bikes as spares to make some money? Or do they just steal for using the bikes in crime or for having a laugh with and dumping in the canal after its fucked?

The issue is one of evidence, they need it to be 'water tight' to get it through CPS to a prosecution.

Often the police will know who it is, but they'd need to physically remove said scrote from the stolen bike, on film, to prove they were riding it.

At this point they've only got them on handling stolen goods and no insurance as "didn't know it were knicked" no proof of who knicked it so no case for theft.

Due to the calls on police time for paperwork and other crimes (depending on what who says is important that week) it sinks to the bottom of the pile of things to follow up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:57 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if the CPS agree to prosecute, and don't make an utter Horlicks of it, chances are that a panel of bleeding heart Magistrates will hear "only a property crime, broken home, working to turn his life around (not actually working though, so don't fine me, bro)" and hand out some token non-custodial penalty that's simply ignored.

I recall BCF noting that one prolific London pikey who actually managed to get incarcerated was out scrumping bikes again the moment he was released.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair points, I think I just don't get the whole 'let's nick it to have some fun on and set it on fire when it stops working' logic though?

I've never wanted to nick anything for an hour of kicks and then never see it again. If I stole something it would be because I see it, I desperately want it and I want to keep it and make it mine forever.

Also I get that nicking a moped with pedals and a basket on the front is probably fun to destroy on the local BMX track. You could argue your doing the owner a favour and getting rid of his or hers tragicly sad vehicle so it's for the best.

But say a nice mint Fireblade or an MV or Ducati, they are nice pieces of kit and deserve more than being torched or crashed and a pic of a burnout on Facebook. I'd have nice bike sympathy syndrome where I couldn't stand to see a mint superbike, or a one off special destroyed just for an afternoon of 'fuck the police we own dem street's.'

Is it the environment that breeds these scumbags, gang for life culture, or is it the parents and the way they bring them up, their diet, child abuse, malnutrition or neglect that grows a bike thief scumbag?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're walking round an orchard, you won't mind tossing away half an apple, plenty more where that came from.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:47 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and nicking them is half the fun. I mean, it's just what you do, innit, and them wankers who leave bikes lying around are asking for it. Corrvpt svcm, etc.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is it the environment that breeds these scumbags, gang for life culture, or is it the parents and the way they bring them up, their diet, child abuse, malnutrition or neglect that grows a bike thief scumbag?

Column A, column B. Welfare babby born into a welfare family, they've never worked, never known anyone who does, and have never had to grow up and take responsibility for themselves.

Never being able or minded to honestly earn nice things, they have no idea of the value that they represent to those who do. And probably wouldn't care anyway, never having learned empathy, delayed gratification, or impulse control.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/buffy/images/d/d8/Want_take_have.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150125094546

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A victim's perspective. (sorry if this has been covered elsewhere).

Frightening.

Back in the late 80s early 90s, car theft and associated crime was rife. You could drive away with someone's car armed with little more than a coat hanger and a screwdriver. Anyone here remember steering locks and gearshift locks?

Things have come a long way since. You now need an iPhone to drive away with someone's BMW Laughing . I suspect the tide will turn for motorcycles too. Pressure from insurers on manufacturers to do more and they can do more. Secure by design. WTF is the point of a steering lock? Just as easy to immobilise the gearbox or rear wheel. Modern cars have electronic parking brakes (EPB) so why not motorbikes? Sure that is not going to stop your bike being lifted into the back of a van, but it would sure as hell stop bikes being wheeled/pushed away.

I'm no engineer but I am sure the collective minds at BMW and Triumph could design better built-in security if they wanted to.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:00 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
but it would sure as hell stop bikes being wheeled/pushed away.

Unless they had a skateboard, anyway.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad point made there is it?

I mean with all the electronics on modern bikes, you could always have a feature where pulling out the key energizes a solenoid to shoot a pin into the clutch basket to lock it, or even into the gearbox output shaft.

Hasn't things like HISS stopped hot wiring ignitions too?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I mean with all the electronics on modern bikes, you could always have a feature where pulling out the key energizes a solenoid to shoot a pin into the clutch basket to lock it, or even into the gearbox output shaft.

And with all the electronics problems on modern bikes, that'd probably happen while you were riding it yourself at 70mph Smile.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:51 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
Things have come a long way since. You now need an iPhone to drive away with someone's BMW Laughing . I suspect the tide will turn for motorcycles too. Pressure from insurers on manufacturers to do more and they can do more. Secure by design. WTF is the point of a steering lock? Just as easy to immobilise the gearbox or rear wheel. Modern cars have electronic parking brakes (EPB) so why not motorbikes? Sure that is not going to stop your bike being lifted into the back of a van, but it would sure as hell stop bikes being wheeled/pushed away.

I'm no engineer but I am sure the collective minds at BMW and Triumph could design better built-in security if they wanted to.

The real difference between someone stealing a BMW car and, say, a horrible, battered little Vespa with a Deliveroo box on the back, is that there are consequences for the BMW car thief when he's caught and none for baklaff. There was a serious joyriding problem in the 90s, and only when there were actual consequences for thieves (i.e. they were getting locked up) did this slow down.

There are numerous reasons for this, e.g. (and this is non-comprehensive):
- the police getting into trouble for chasing thieves because of political/community pressure and legal claims;
- the police finding easier pickings among generally law-abiding folk to make out their quotas and check all their 'competencies' boxes
- the deliberate redirection of police resources by political influence (e.g. royal protection or the terrorist bogeyman);
- public sympathy and pressure increasing relative to the exclusivity of the item being stolen (you'll note this when you see how much attention the stolen Aprilia Tuono will attract on Facebook vs the beginner's 125);
- professionals and different types of softly-spoken soft-handed people taking up bikes as a hobby and/or a means of transport these days from the tougher, more scrappy couriers, builders, etc. of the past.
and on and on...

The real issue is consequences. There was once something good and perfectly fitted for purpose even in large cities like London, and that was a world of organised bikers, and MAG is no substitute; neither is Youtube, Facebook and the like. At the end of the day wood needs to meet bone to stop theft. Whether that's the cop's truncheon or not, doesn't really matter.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a daily London commuter, what I'm really worried about are punctures. So much so that I make sure to carry a nice, hefty extendable breaker bar in my bag at all times on my daily ride.

Just in case I need to remove a wheel, you know...

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police could easily set-up bait bikes and be able to kill switch remotely or enable brakes slowly so that the fuckers can't push the bike with a scooter behind.

Even easier they could leave an underground carpark open and close the gates when a bike gets nicked.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3