Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Workshop build

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Workshop build Reply with quote

Before you can work on your bike you need a good workshop who built yours?
I am set to build a workshop 23ft by 9ft can anyone recommend a firm upto the job?
Has anyone any knowledge on this mob?
https://www.northstreetsheds.co.uk

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

last one i built myself,
worked out much cheaper,

not hard, and way better quality than a pre-made one

check out some vids on youtube,
and decide if you think you might have the time and ability to do it yourself.

edit or better yet get a 30ft container
https://www.shippingcontainersuk.com/brands/30ft_containers_second_hand.php

way more secure than a normal shed, moveable if you ever move house, and probably work out the same price delivered as a wooden shed

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHS ^^^
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball...
Errr, I mean if you can repair a bike, you can build a workshop.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:26 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Gawd!
IF you can afford to pay someone to build you a work-shop.....
You can afford to buy a bike that don't need one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To build from scratch, here are the rough, costings I've come up with today.

This would be for a 16 x 8ft shed.

Frame, studding, corner post and floor bearers £260
19mm cladding £421
Roof joists £60
18mm OSB Flooring £120

So that's £860 for the wood alone!

On top of that I'll have to add the cost of a base, roof covering, roof joist hardware, windows, door hardware, wood treatment, screws and nails etc., any insulation and boarding inside, electrics plus any cabinets and shelving!
I'd guess I'll be looking at between £1600 - £2000 to have it finished and kitted out!

OP, why 23 x 9ft?
With those dimensions there would be a lot of waste from the standard lengths and sizes of timber you can buy easily!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:46 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I'd guess I'll be looking at between £1600 - £2000 to have it finished and kitted out!

I was being quoted around £3K for a standard single pre-fab concrete garage, £5K for a double in pre-fab concrete.
After cost of ground work to put a base in, it seemed like false economy to try and do it in wood...
It is warmer to work in, and you'd probably build in lining and racking and shelves and stuff, but it still rots... A-N-D.. curious anomaly I discovered, many insurance companies DON'T actually accept a wooden building as a 'garage'. To them, that's just a big shed. For them to accept its a garage, and hence grant the discount for ticking the 'garaged' box on the proposal form, it has to be brick or concrete.
For a decent double garage sized 'workshop'; with services of electric and water, lined in walls and ceiling so you don't go deaf when it rains on a tin roof, I was looking at the thick end of £7K.. 'all in'.

I'll do it old school and stick to back yard mechanics and suffer a little 'rain' I think!

As pappie used to say... if you can afford to pay someone to fix your bike... you can afford a bike wot don't need fixin!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
As pappie used to say... if you can afford to pay someone to fix your bike... you can afford a bike wot don't need fixin!

Where does bike maintenance come into the eqaution then? Thinking
Or are you suggesting getting a new bike, not looking after it and selling it on before the warranty runs out?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I was being quoted around £3K for a standard single pre-fab concrete garage, £5K for a double in pre-fab concrete.
After cost of ground work to put a base in, it seemed like false economy to try and do it in wood...
It is warmer to work in, and you'd probably build in lining and racking and shelves and stuff, but it still rots... A-N-D.. curious anomaly I discovered, many insurance companies DON'T actually accept a wooden building as a 'garage'. To them, that's just a big shed. For them to accept its a garage, and hence grant the discount for ticking the 'garaged' box on the proposal form, it has to be brick or concrete.
For a decent double garage sized 'workshop'; with services of electric and water, lined in walls and ceiling so you don't go deaf when it rains on a tin roof, I was looking at the thick end of £7K.. 'all in'.

I'll do it old school and stick to back yard mechanics and suffer a little 'rain' I think!

The OP was asking about a workshop not a garage, though.
You're right, eventually wood will rot, but depending how you build it and how you maintain it, it should last a long time.
The last one I built, was still in good nick after 8 years, and I used OSB board for the wall coverings, I just repainted it every year with 'fence life', it did have a PVC coated galvanised roof, which probably helped.

Not bothered about a 'garage' myself, it'll be a workshop, that I happen to keep a bike or two in 1.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:32 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
You're right, eventually wood will rot, but depending how you build it and how you maintain it, it should last a long time.

About 30 years.... it's a 'constant' of archaeology, curiously enough.

Bronze age roundhouses, to medieval hovels; they reckon that the lifespan, was about 30 years, and the common pattern of settlement, shows that the 'dwelling' would be built by a young man at about the age they married and had kids, and lasted their life-time, falling into disrepair as that builder became too decrepit to maintain it or died, and they or thier wife would move in with the kids, who would have built a new one about 15-20 years later, the original 'site' redeveloped by grand or great grand-kids....

In my youth, I earned the cash to feed my petrol-head addictions on the building sites; company I worked for specialized in architectural renovation, and one of my jobs was low-pressure, open nozzle sand-blasting, of ancient timbers; I worked on many 'ancient' wooden framed buildings around 'Tudor' Warwickshire, the 'oldest' a cruck cottage, recorded in doomsday, so standing pre 1084, and around 1000 years old, that bucks the Archeological 'lore'.

You know, I had more 'education' on them building sites, than I ever got at University! Lol! Among the many colorful characters, though was a very 'eager' yuppie Architect, who had stumbled into these renovation jobs after having a "wibble" over concrete and straight lines Smile His nemasis was a rather more bluff structural engineer, who had to supervise the architect's excesses and stop his ideas falling down! Both, though, were history/archeology buffs, and neither eager to depart the site and go back to the office.. and I was usually sent to make tea and keep them out the brickies way! I learned a lot about bricks from the pair of them... but ISTR the structural engineer, who apart from infuriating the Historical Building Expert from the county planning office on countless occassions, disputing his 'dating evidence', usually proving medieval barns were actually Victorian, but he told me that a lot of 'ancient' buildings weren't so ancient, and even where, like the pre-norman cruck cottage the Timbers were definitely of an age, they had usually survived by having been re-used.

He actually pointed to the timbers of the cruck cottage, and walked me through it's history. He explained that it had originally been a single room, single floor structure, a small barn, which had probably been compartmented into three areas for living, sleeping and livestock. It had later been extended, with lean-to structures added to either end, and the end walls 'breached' to increase the compartmented areas, which probably became 'rooms', and THEN later still, but still probably before 1300, the whole frame was raised onto stone footings, in order to increase the cieling height, when a half 'cottage' floor was installed. Later still, the roof was lifted higher still to increase living space and make it a full two floor dwelling, 'probably' he explained co-incident or a generation before the building was subdivided along the compartmenting walls to make three two room dwellings..... and then!!!! eventually was recombined into a single 'cottage' again, probably during the victorian! "It's a bit 'Trigger's Broom" He'd said... "Most are.. so what you are looking at is a Victorian cottage, with a 20th century roof and extension, built on the site of an anglosaxon barn, with bits of wood in the walls taken from the anglo-saxon barn, Norman extensions, and medieval development!" And I seem to recall him commenting on the 'frame' and that it being lifted onto a stone footing was the main reason that main structure had survived, and that that was probably prompted by the fact that the bottom of the uprights had rotted in the ground....

Thirty Years! It's an archaeological constant! That's the period between changes!

Co-incidentally, I have a wooden shed! Its 'about' 30 years old!

I got my first motorbike, a Batavas 'Pedal & Pop' that my mother had bought to beat bus-fares to get to uni, and scrapped when it failed it's MOT, and I 'won' during a garage clearance, my uncle quipping "If you can fix it, you can have it" thinking it would keep 10year old me, 'out of trouble' for the afternoon! Trouble it caused was ENORMOUS.. mostly in the consternation it caused 'Pops' my grandad, and being blamed for loosing his spanners to fix it, prompting me to buy my own tool kit.

The shed, was my Christmas Present, that year from my Gran! Who recognised the conflict brewing between Pops and I, and found it at the garden centre 'Ex display', and had it put up on the edge of the orchard 'out the way', so I had a place I could store my new tool kit and motorbike, out of Pops way! It was moved to my house by my Uncle when I bought it! Rotten as a Tory government, now, the roof has 'gone', BUT? Lasted.... Thirty Years!

But that was why I was pricing up garages. And, I doubt I have another thirty years spanner twiddling in me.. but, pricing up a 'workshop' major cost wasn't in the material, but in the labour to build it, and the 'detailing' to make it a serviceable work space, rather than just a dry storage shed, and in for a penny, in for a quid.. how far do you go?

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

The point you look out the window and decide the rain aint going to stop and you're going to get wet sooner or later! And either riding it over to chap you pay to do it, or outside, warming hands on mug of tea, between swapping spanners!

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on eBay, there's loads of firms making large sheds and some will build it for free too. If they're close enough you could probably go and visit to look at quality and discuss your requirements.

Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

The point you look out the window and decide the rain aint going to stop and you're going to get wet sooner or later! And either riding it over to chap you pay to do it, or outside, warming hands on mug of tea, between swapping spanners!

Or, if you have the time/money to build one, in a warm, dry workshop, which has a kettle and probably a radio.

Twiddling spanners in the open while it's pissing down and freezing doesn't make you any more of a man, it just makes you fucking miserable and less likely to do it. I know this because I have to. Doing stuff today that I've put off for a few weeks now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decide on the dimensions first and also the material you want to build it out of or buy the building made from. This will be dictated by your budget as much as preferences.

Sid is right in that sticking to standard sizes and lengths of timber is cheaper than an odd ball size building. If you were building it yourself to fit in an exact odd shaped space say Between two walls or in a triangle shape area in the corner of the garden then fair enough.

But buying a pre made off the peg shed is cheaper in standard sizes, though most shed firms will customise door and window and roof layouts to suit your needs at a small extra cost.

I priced up the materials to build a 16ft x 8 shed myself, and using my local timber merchants prices, I worked it out a bit cheaper than Sid's estimate around £680-700 I figured. This was using an existing brick wall as one side of the shed and bolting a roof joist to it for a pent roof design.

In the end I stumped up £900 and had a 14x8 shed in 19mm pressure treated timber delivered and erected. The reason I went down to 14x8 from a 16x8 is that the garden slopes away steeply at the end, so I'd have needed a serious amount of extra hardcore and cement/concrete to make the slab bigger.

Im happy with the outcome as I later decided to build a wooden frame and decking at the side of the shed to get up to the same level as the Base. I erected a 4ft wide plastic sheeted lean to that's covered on three sides and open just at the front. This gives me extra under cover storage that's vented and means I can keep a bike outdoors if I'm working on stuff in the shed and I still have enough room to work without having to move loads of stuff out first.

My first thought option at the beginning was to try and buy one of those big fibreglass sheds that they use for electricity sub stations or mobile phone cell sites etc. They are quite nicely made and solid, but they would cost a silly amount, £5-7k I think and they still fade in the sun, and are hard to fix anything to inside.

At least with a sturdy wooden building you've got lots of options on how to build and fit it out etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1