Winter Hacks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Winter Hacks Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

So what with everyone whinging about the trappings of the currently shit weather I figured there's got to be a fair proportion of the forum still riding regularly through the winter.

Who all runs a winter hack? What have you got?
How tatty is yours and do you care?

I acquired my CG125 for hack purposes (£400, rather rusty) however I stripped it to get the frame powder coated to add some life and ended up getting carried away and doing a full rebuild. Now it looks nice. It was my first bike, reacquired, so I've become a little attached to it and now feel guilty exposing it to all the crud. It went from fairly clean to absolutely manky, everywhere, in the space of half an hour during Thursday's snowy ride. I'm beginning to think I have some sort of OCD when it comes to rust as no matter the bike I can't seem to help but renew things when it's becoming tatty. I'd love to let a bike go rat but I don't think I have it in me Sad

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you powder-coated your frame, you probably wet-and-dried and wire-brushed your engine cases. If you didn't clear-coat them with lacquer after that, they'll be splotchy in no time, in this weather with salt splashing up from the road. I know this because that's happened to me, and I'll be ratting some exposed aluminium this coming week.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In winter I ride my summer hack. Ride it in winter too Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:11 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hack is a 2007 Yamaha MT_03 and the only clean thing on it is the front mudguard which I've just replaced

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
If you powder-coated your frame, you probably wet-and-dried and wire-brushed your engine cases. If you didn't clear-coat them with lacquer after that, they'll be splotchy in no time, in this weather with salt splashing up from the road. I know this because that's happened to me, and I'll be ratting some exposed aluminium this coming week.

Yup, exactly. Held up great in summer but not looking so great now. Just trying to keep the visible parts of the casing as clean as possible and coated in ACF which has helped a little to prevent the furring. I was put off using lacquer as I've seen it go yellow before and it can be a nightmare to get rid of (my CX500 had this, took days and days to get it all off). The genuine Honda exhaust I searched for (to avoid a Chinese effort from eBay) has developed lots of little rust spots too which is somewhat annoying. The CG rebuild was kind of a trial run before rebuilding my CX so I'm looking for something to protect the engine with this time.

To be honest I've always run my ER6 in the winter too, the only reason I haven't this winter so far (since November) is because I was giving it a good thorough service. It'll be back outside again tomorrow probably. It's nice having a second bike to at least try and keep it reasonably low salt though.

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:55 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 CB400 with 40+k miles on the clock.

It usually looks like this:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/752/30912111093_60214286e1_c.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/1/352/31606385411_dd81f86789_c.jpg

Gave it a wash over xmas and it was clean for all of a few days, looked as dirty as the above pics after a week of commuting, I do 200ish miles a week.

I'll hopefully be replacing it come summer for a 700 Honda Transalp, it'll be on over 50k miles by then. it's done well for 2 years of commuting, but I want something with some weather protection.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TallPaul_S wrote:

but I want something with some weather protection.

yeah me too .. and heat and body protection ..

hey ho transit van here I go ..... Idea

fcuk ridin in the snow & ice Crying or Very sad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at a 66 plate Yam yesterday that looks like a 10 yr old hack. The chain was red rusty and the whole bike covered in filth and salt. I can understand the dirt but why would you spend 7 grand or whatever on a new bike then skimp on a 5 quid tin of lube?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter hack is a 1995 Aprilia Pegaso 650. Nice grunty thumper. Although it is in bits right now till I can be arsed to track down why it's running like a pig.

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
TallPaul_S wrote:

but I want something with some weather protection.

yeah me too .. and heat and body protection ..

hey ho transit van here I go ..... Idea

fcuk ridin in the snow & ice Crying or Very sad

The worst thing about winter riding is the salty muck that coats your visor after 5 minutes, makes it downright dangerous to ride when you can't see!! A nice big screen which deflects air over my helmet should be much better, with the added bonus of some LED auxillary lights (and an LED main bulb) for visibility.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm i dont think ill ever afford a (enter season here) hack... And just end up keeping one bike. Sure I could spend 400 500 600 quid on a cheapie bike for the cold months. But I would have to have insurance for two bikes. And thats the shitter for me.

My insurance is too high as it is on my shitty 125.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TallPaul_S wrote:

The worst thing about winter riding is the salty muck that coats your visor after 5 minutes, makes it downright dangerous to ride when you can't see!!

You want to get yerself a Rainpal mate

Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around April, I have to get an MOT. This 'may', and that's a very tentative 'may' beg I actually wash the thing. At that point my 'winter hack' becomes my summer hack. When the roads get chitty enough it's dirty enough to merit the title... probably about the middle of May... it's back to being my winter hack!

The more revealing question, I think, I was pondering the other morning.... whether you have an all year hack, or a seasonal one, do you de-frost the saddle before you ride it?

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

winter hack is a kia picanto leant to me by work, would love another bike for the winter but can't find what I want (fazer) for the pennies I have to spend Sad , I really miss my old gen 1, it was one of those bikes you could thrash mercilessly and it handled, and the tank range was great
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The more revealing question, I think, I was pondering the other morning.... whether you have an all year hack, or a seasonal one, do you de-frost the saddle before you ride it?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d8/11/fd/d811fdb25bca968ef7c82a804573b976.jpg

If the owner of these sweet cars had bought something more modest back in the day, they mightn't have had such a good time then, or such fond memories now. Or maybe it wouldn't have made much difference, or their memories pf those days are interspersed with regrets now. Who knows? All we can know for certain is that they owned the very best cars of the day, and were forced to let them go to rack and ruin because they couldn't afford to maintain them or keep them on the road. Thus leaving them with scrap metal.

Motorcycles are a bit similar, but not exactly the same. If I leave my bike outside in the winter, it may be because I don't own a garage, or it might be because I live in a very luxurious low-crime area, and it's my habit to buy a new bike every couple of years so I don't really care if it rusts. Alternatively, I might keep my bike indoors, or in a shed or a garage that protects it from the elements a little, but that shed or garage might not be my own. It might be a neighbour's, or rented. What's more, the bike might be old and threadbare.

The really telling question is whether the owner rations his or her riding to conserve petrol or consumables.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
whether you have an all year hack, or a seasonal one, do you de-frost the saddle before you ride it?

Yes, ever since I recovered my seat, then stupidly scratched ran my fingers across the ice the next day, it instantly split to shit.
Now im concerned my arse will do the same if i just sit right on it.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:14 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TallPaul_S wrote:
2001 CB400 with 40+k miles on the clock.

It usually looks like this:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/752/30912111093_60214286e1_c.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/1/352/31606385411_dd81f86789_c.jpg

Gave it a wash over xmas and it was clean for all of a few days, looked as dirty as the above pics after a week of commuting, I do 200ish miles a week.

I'll hopefully be replacing it come summer for a 700 Honda Transalp, it'll be on over 50k miles by then. it's done well for 2 years of commuting, but I want something with some weather protection.

That's what I call a real bike ridden by a real biker, that bike is used and abused like all bikes should be.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same hack all year round.

Except when it's icy - then I borrow the Missus's 125 because it's easier to pick up than the Blandit.

Don't tell her I said that. I told her it's because the Bandit won't start when it's sub-zero.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have summer and winter bikes.

I tend to take the BMW when it's wet and windy, because it's very stable and easy to ride lazily with minimal input.

Ninja when I'm feeling caddish and want to press on a bit.

Enfield when I'm feeling jolly - it works best as a lazy sunny day bike, courteously waving saucily dressed fillies across the road, that sort of thing.

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tuono has been tucked away since the first lot of salt went down on the road, it won't be out again until spring. I'll do the odd sunny Friday commute on it, but my CB400 is my main commuting bike.

It's nice to have something that's not always covered in crap that is easy to keep clean, the tuono is in mint condition and I aim to keep it that way while doing 5-6k miles over summer.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:01 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Now im concerned my arse will do the same if i just sit right on it.

Shocked

Shocked Shocked

Let me get this straight... you are worried when its icy that your arse will split... or shit or split and shit? Or am I getting the context mixed up still Confused

MORE, why is my mind trying to fathom the matter Embarassed Embarassed Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know you bagged a Tuono. Thumbs Up good call.

Me, Peugeot diesel. Best winter hack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP made me smile, by making his hack bike too mint to use. I've done it too in the past.

Once my 125 is sorted out for summer, I've got an old off road bike that I've had a while that will be rebuilt on the cheap as my winter/off roader/hack machine.

Trouble is I'm not in any rush to do it, and my interest and excitement for this year as well as any spare cash is focused on getting my old Coupe back on the road and looking as nice as I can make it, and running better too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2