Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated grips that work well on a small bike ??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ?? Reply with quote

Any recommendations from real world users on little 110s and similar.
I have Oxford on the big Maxi Scoot and they are amazing but i know the little Honda Wave's alternator output is definitely insufficient for another set of those!!
So what's out there that works well ??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought oxford did a range for smaller bikes as well. Look on amazon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you swap out incandescent bulbs for led, that will give you a bit of headroom to run accessories.

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys, but i am aware of those products that make claim to suit small output alternators but i'm wondering if they really do get warm enough to be worth while ?
That's why i was hoping to hear from people who have actually had and used these on their bike.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, dont get those. The power draw is the same, the "light" in the product name simply refers to their cheaper construction. For which you pay a premium Laughing

You can use any heated grips which have a controller and a low setting. These will be far better than oxford shite. Have used both, I like these lot more.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221952333849

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:52 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ?? Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
i know the little Honda Wave's alternator output is definitely insufficient for another set of those!!

How do you know that?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:05 - 15 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:23 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
No, dont get those. The power draw is the same, the "light" in the product name simply refers to their cheaper construction. For which you pay a premium Laughing

You can use any heated grips which have a controller and a low setting. These will be far better than oxford shite. Have used both, I like these lot more.

Really? Oxford sport heated grips take over 4A. Those 'small' ones take 3A. The ones you show don't even say what amperes they take.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:13 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ?? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stevew wrote:
i know the little Honda Wave's alternator output is definitely insufficient for another set of those!!

How do you know that?

A hunch from many years playing with bikes. The alternator output is not stated so i really have no idea how much head room there is left after the running of the bike's standard electronics.
I have asked Honda and am waiting for their reply.

As it's a FI bike i really do not want a flat battery as that will mean no pump!! On the Cub that was OK as it will run without a battery, but not on the Wave.

BTW on a different thing.......I have always been happy with Oxford grips on the bigger bikes.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips that work well on a small bike ?? Reply with quote

stevew wrote:
Any recommendations from real world users on little 110s and similar.
I have Oxford on the big Maxi Scoot and they are amazing but i know the little Honda Wave's alternator output is definitely insufficient for another set of those!!
So what's out there that works well ??

Wire the ones on the Maxi Scoot up to your Wave and check the charging voltage with them on full whack. That will tell you if it will cope.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:16 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Really? Oxford sport heated grips take over 4A. Those 'small' ones take 3A. The ones you show don't even say what amperes they take.

Those on ebay should be OK. Although they don't quote a draw, my maths tell me that at low setting they should be 1 amp, and the highest setting should be 2 amps.
HTH

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Those on ebay should be OK. Although they don't quote a draw, my maths tell me that at low setting they should be 1 amp, and the highest setting should be 2 amps.
HTH

I know how to work out the Amps from the power and volts. I=P/V. I just don't believe these only use 24W maximum. Luke warm at best.

From Oxford, about their Hot Grips.

How many watts do your heated grips use?

Most of our heated grips use about 30 watts PER PAIR, at 12.0 volts (the voltage of a partially discharged battery with the engine off). At typical voltages, with the engine running above an idle, the electrical system will be providing about 14 volts. At this voltage - the grips will use about 42 watts per pair

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever had my heated grips above 3/5 for very long, they get too hot. That would be both R&G (hard as hell, wear quickly) and oxford touring (nice feel, on 3rd winter, more than twice as many miles out of them than R&G)

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Do NOT buy these grips for your motorcycle.

Read the description, they are not suitable for twist throttle, only thumb throttles..

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&G grips on an MSX125 and a 55w bulb not the pathetic 35w supplied.

It's fine when running without them on I can see 14.1V (I have a voltmeter) that can drop to 13.5 'ish when running at full heat setting. I don't turn them on until I'm at least a mile down the road. And off at least a mile before I get to work (15 mile trip).

No problems at all. BUT I do use a Lithium battery, which labours a bit in the cold, takes a few cycles to get it to turn over fast enough when it's below zero.

Hope this helps

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
R&G grips on an MSX125 and a 55w bulb not the pathetic 35w supplied.

It's fine when running without them on I can see 14.1V (I have a voltmeter) that can drop to 13.5 'ish when running at full heat setting. I don't turn them on until I'm at least a mile down the road. And off at least a mile before I get to work (15 mile trip).

No problems at all. BUT I do use a Lithium battery, which labours a bit in the cold, takes a few cycles to get it to turn over fast enough when it's below zero.

Hope this helps

I have a YBR, I know nothing about volts or which batteries I have (total noob). Which grips would you say I should be going for so it doesn't cause me battery problems?

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
I have a YBR, I know nothing about volts or which batteries I have (total noob). Which grips would you say I should be going for so it doesn't cause me battery problems?
Get these https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Yamaha/YBR_125/All_Years/HG000122C/ be happy! Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:13 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262172619868?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=38904455432&rlsatarget=pla-278028066414&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9044980&device=c&campaignid=738208994&crdt=0

Or bar muffs, choice is yours.

I had those grips AND muffs on the Varadingdong and it was fucking hot. We are talking tiger balm on your bell end hot.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:30 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
We are talking tiger balm on your bell end hot.

The way I'm freezing nowadays, I struggle to comprehend how this is possible. But then again I have rubbish muffs, standard grips and cheap gloves lol.

Gonna pick up Tucano Urbano muffs today and hopefully tomorrow I have a better journey to work and if I'm still cold then will defo purchase grips

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:12 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucano and Daytona. No gloves in minus 3.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:

Read the description, they are not suitable for twist throttle, only thumb throttles..

Its a bad translation, ignore it. I have asked a seller and confirmed they are motorcycle grips, and I have done 2000 miles on them since December.

They have excellent cable strain relief designed for a rotating throttle grip. Dual cable throttle tube is shown in pics. The throttle tube is a two piece splined part, this makes it very easy to fit and remove. The controller is fully potted. The thumb switch on the clutch grip is quite well protected. It will last longer than oxford. They are the best designed heated grips I have seen.

https://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m593/Kramdra/IMG_20170114_161421_zpsmbjkzczh.jpg~original

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 25 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
onlyJaz wrote:

Its a bad translation, ignore it. I have asked a seller and confirmed they are motorcycle grips, and I have done 2000 miles on them since December.

Ah okay fair enough, I didn't realise you've tried + tested Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1