Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test rode a Street Triple

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:13 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Test rode a Street Triple Reply with quote

So I took out a 2016 Street Triple this weekend and loved it but before I take the plunge and buy one what other similar bikes should I be looking at?

I've got no experience of sports bikes so not really sure what else to consider, I like the naked bikes over the faired ones and also like the look of the Suzuki GSX 750, but what else is out there, and are there similar performing faired bikes I should also look at?

I ride a Deauville as my daily so this second bike I'll be getting is a weekend toy and doesn't need to be practical in any way shape or form.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing as good, just buy the Street Triple. Seriously. If you already like that everything else will seem a bit shit in comparison.

GSX750 is actually shit. (just bike shaped).

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find another naked middleweight that came close...

two bikes I'm waiting for more info on (and test rides) are the ktm 790 and the new 765 street

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:51 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
There's nothing as good, just buy the Street Triple. Seriously. If you already like that everything else will seem a bit shit in comparison.

Pretty much what the sales guy at the dealership said.

It did seem like an incredible piece of kit but having never ridden anything like it before I have no benchmark, but clearly now this is the benchmark!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doink wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Pretty much what the sales guy at the dealership said.

It did seem like an incredible piece of kit but having never ridden anything like it before I have no benchmark, but clearly now this is the benchmark!

Yes, you just rode the benchmark. Quick, go and buy it. Then nail it down with a million chains so it doesn't get nicked.

That's about the only downside of owning one is that all the scrotes seem to want them.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite impressed that you managed to get it back to the dealer without it being stolen... Shocked

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take its nearest rival out for a spin, the MT09.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new MT-09 is due out soon, they have apparently fixed the soggy suspension and snatchy throttle, if you can wait you might get an even better deal on the Striple as the new 765 version is out soon too so they will want rid of the 675's.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloysius Parker wrote:
I would test ride an MT10 before putting my money down on the Triumph.

Isn't the natural competitor of the MT10 the Speed Triple, being that they are at least similar capacity, you fucking cabbage Rolling Eyes

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT09 is probably the nearest competitor. I would probably try one of those if you can? I hear the old ones suffer from poor suspension and a snatchy throttle. The new one has been improved. The Triple is still arguably the best bike, and the new one looks to have raised the bar further again.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Aloysius Parker wrote:
I would test ride an MT10 before putting my money down on the Triumph.

Isn't the natural competitor of the MT10 the Speed Triple, being that they are at least similar capacity, you fucking cabbage Rolling Eyes

Normally I would agree, actually I do agree with the cabbage ref but in this instance he has a point.
The MT10 has very acceptable agility, I certainty didn't find it disappointing.
You just have to decide whether you want to really enjoy your ride and get home with a large grin or if you'd rather have your arms torn off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did I , then I test rode MT09. I bought the MT09. I never felt like I'd kill myself on a Striple, the MT09 scared the
crap out of me, like it would kill me in an instant if I took the piss even a little bit Laughing Is the Striple the better bike?
Probably, but I had more fun on the Yamaha and since I'm a fair weather rider who only rides for fun anyway, it seemed ideal.
Besides I got brand new bike for less than I was about to spend on a 2014 registered used Striple.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Gsr750. Shiver. Better riding position than striple. Less stripped sportsbike feel. Striple a bit...in between full on sports and polite hooligan. Mt09...if you like a bmx feel....cb1000r...sneaky fast bastard...gsxs1000...fuelling/throttle not good on early model.
Been trying a few of these lately. Striple floated my boat until I tried to get through traffic...it's not a 'naked' bike. In town, felt like a fireblade...head up and wrists down.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:04 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Striple floated my boat until I tried to get through traffic...it's not a 'naked' bike. In town, felt like a fireblade...head up and wrists down.

I suppose that's down to what you are used to? I went from an SV650S to a Triple and it felt like a dream regarding riding position!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Striple floated my boat until I tried to get through traffic...it's not a 'naked' bike. In town, felt like a fireblade...head up and wrists down.

also the exact opposite experience, commute through city traffic daily.

worth noting, when I was looking at options the MT10 came up, but the insurance, for me at least was more than double the cost of the striple

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:29 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
if you can wait you might get an even better deal on the Striple as the new 765 version is out soon too so they will want rid of the 675's.

Yup, and there will be a temporary glut of pre-registered 675s available now, to beat the Euro4bollocks, so don't bite the sales-weasel's hand off. Get on eBay and ask around other dealers, see who's keenest to offload stock.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:08 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, its a stonking bike.

Unfortunately, mine will be up for sale soon at bargain basement prices, but it'll be replaced by the 765 warp machine Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

I suppose that's down to what you are used to? I went from an SV650S to a Triple and it felt like a dream regarding riding position!

I don't find it bad at all, and I sometimes have problems with even a slightly altered riding position, which is why on my Fazer I went with the standard ride position when the fork conversion was done.
The Striple does tilt me forward more, but I seem to be ok with it, despite not having full extension of my left arm, which means I can't ride sports bikes - well, I sort of can, but it's immediately bloody uncomfortable. The Striple is nothing like that.
Everyone's different I guess.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Unfortunately, mine will be up for sale soon at bargain basement prices, but it'll be replaced by the 765 warp machine Thumbs Up

Swap you for some sugar gliders! One sugar glider may not have a full tail but he still noms honey off your fingers.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Agree on the stonking-ness

Also Paddy remember to get a photo of that regulator mod you did Thumbs Up (or snoosnoo can do it when he gets it Razz)

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't find it bad at all, and I sometimes have problems with even a slightly altered riding position, which is why on my Fazer I went with the standard ride position when the fork conversion was done.
The Striple does tilt me forward more, but I seem to be ok with it, despite not having full extension of my left arm, which means I can't ride sports bikes - well, I sort of can, but it's immediately bloody uncomfortable. The Striple is nothing like that.
Everyone's different I guess.

I think they strike a nice compromise, though I suppose bar risers could be fitted if somebody wanted to be bolt upright? I wouldn't want that though, I find the riding position perfect for my 5ft9 frame.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

I think they strike a nice compromise, though I suppose bar risers could be fitted if somebody wanted to be bolt upright? I wouldn't want that though, I find the riding position perfect for my 5ft9 frame.

Nah, puts a bit of your weight nicely over the front, adds to confidence. Not so much that I have any kind of wrist trouble though. S'all good Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to think of a one-liner containing the expression 'snatchy throttle'....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Swap you for some sugar gliders! One sugar glider may not have a full tail but he still noms honey off your fingers.

Deliver them, bring a spare 2.5k and sure Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2