View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a new one yet Paddy?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 17:40 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is just me or is Triumph become expensive? I dont understand thier pricing policy.

The street triple will sell because there will be people who love them full stop and i get that i honestly do they will be great bikes just like they have always been but triumph seemed to have forgotten the rest of the market? and turned what could have been a fantastic seller into a "it did alright" kinda bike with no real market share influence.

As said above the street triple is likely to be pitched up against the mt09, Triumph must have known this, so why have they gone in £300 more expensive?

All the media hype and posters ive seen are banging on about the tft screen, quick shifter, fully adjustable suspension, brembos etc none of which the base model gets.
The otr price is £8000 and as far as i can see on the triumph website you get none of the shiny bits they are so heavily trying to push the bikes on.

Now im sure it will be a very good bike, but when you need to list it having a trip meter in your marketing blurb as a feature, you know your asking too much for too little and i cant shake the feeling thats exactly why Triumph at this point have refused to state the price of the other 2 models.

The R would probably be my choice if i was in the market for one but you gotta think if the S is £8000 the R has got to be pushing £9500? if its anywhere near that thats fookin mad money for a middle weight naked, i dread to think what they want for the RS Laughing

I like Triumph and honestly will probably own one eventually but imo the street triple should of started nearer to 7K not 8, because i cant see the entry level S competing with the MT09 not at 8 grande anyways.

All the best Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what is madness is that Triumph have had this market to themselves for about 10years, and yet in all that time Suzuki or Kawasaki or Honda hasn't come up with a bike to rival or beat it?

I don't think it necessarily needs to be a triple, a four pot bike could do just as well if it was designed correctly. But while a tiny number of people buy GSR 750's CB650F's or Z800's they have had time to work out how to build a bike to match or beat the Triumph many times over by now. Do they not want a bit of this market, or is it that they are happy to spend a few quid on a half hearted entry into this fun middle weight naked market, so spend more on other bikes?

Particularly Suzuki and Kawasaki, I don't really see what they are doing anywhere in their range to take control of any sector or build a benchmark bike? There's plenty of also ran's but little innovation or interest in many market sectors IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing it to the boggo 2017 MT09 which has slipper clutch, quickshifter, fully adjustable improved front
suspension, new rear shock, LED headlights. It certainly seems better VFM for sure, my only real gripe with the new MT09
is the gopping numberplate holder. If it's bang for buck we're talking about I reckon the MT09 still has the advantage.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/hyper-naked/mt-09.aspx?view=featurestechspecs

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:07 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a speed triple R 2016, after selling my BMW S1000RR, I decided to get a better B Road blaster as those are my prefered stomping roads Razz , for my the other considerations were MT10 - just too ugly for my liking
S1000R again not sold on the looks, love the RR but not the R.
RNineT not quick enough,
Tuono V4 APRC, don't like the looks
GSX-S1000 just looking for a engine with a bit more character
MV Brutale 800 getting good dealer back up near to me and parts etc just don't inspire my with confidence as the company nearly folded earlier this year I think.
Ducati monster 1200 yep ticked all the boxes but I can't afford the newest top spec version which I would want, and I've had a monster before and never a triple, so went for the triple, great engine, really looking forward to a summer of destroying tyres Smile

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:41 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

base wrote:
I have just bought a speed triple R 2016, after selling my BMW S1000RR, I decided to get a better B Road blaster as those are my prefered stomping roads Razz , for my the other considerations were MT10 - just too ugly for my liking
S1000R again not sold on the looks, love the RR but not the R.
RNineT not quick enough,
Tuono V4 APRC, don't like the looks
GSX-S1000 just looking for a engine with a bit more character
MV Brutale 800 getting good dealer back up near to me and parts etc just don't inspire my with confidence as the company nearly folded earlier this year I think.
Ducati monster 1200 yep ticked all the boxes but I can't afford the newest top spec version which I would want, and I've had a monster before and never a triple, so went for the triple, great engine, really looking forward to a summer of destroying tyres Smile

Interesting to hear you've traded down from a very quick bike to a Striple.

Will it not feel slow in comparison?

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:28 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not so much trading down IMO, just something different, I was looking to change the BMW, I could of bought a new R1 (if I could afford that!) but if honest on the road it wouldn't be any different to the BMW, it would still just be a really fast sports bike, and for the moment to triple just ticks the boxes. I did look at the super Duke but fuck that was ugly I walked into the KTM dealership and walked out Smile

Feel slow, yes its slower but with 138BHP its not really a slouch

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
it'll be replaced by the 765 warp machine Thumbs Up

Will you be testing the new MT09 first Paddy?

Would be interesting to see, 765 vs new MT09. If Yamaha have sorted the suspension, then you might find the MT09 is Standard Street price but R/RT capable (if not RS).

I do really like the look of the 765, much better than the 2nd gen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Do they not want a bit of this market

Triumph sell well in the UK and reasonably abroad... for a little British company. 56,253 units wordwide last year, good for them, but BMW shifted 145,032. It's harder to compare the Japanese marques because they punt so many smaller bikes out the door, but I doubt they're that bothered.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Triumph should make a better PCX125 then, and Honda might think let's do something about this British lot? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Maybe Triumph should make a better PCX125 then, and Honda might think let's do something about this British lot? Laughing

They were talking about doing 250s but shelved the idea a couple of years back because (reading between the lines) they didn't want to sully their brand with shoddy Indian made pov-spec bikes.

If BMW's new (Indian made...) G310R sells well, I wonder if they'll revisit that.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because Yamaha's after service is shocking.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 02:13 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a 2011 Sprint ST 1050 on 14k miles....

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've just bought a 2011 Sprint ST 1050 on 14k miles....

Congrats!......Most importantly, what colour?

Always amazed there are tourers / sports tourers with such low mileage!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:50 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallic BR green like this.

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/classifieds/dealer/3442777/1791696796/420x315/0.jpg?quality=75

Was reduced from £6.5k to £5 cause winter and no sales.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 01:22 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
Is is just me or is Triumph become expensive? I dont understand thier pricing policy.

Everything became expensive. I bought a new Striple in 2010, cost £5750 exactly. I put it on finance which over a year added a whopping £350-ish pounds to the price so was worth it to me at the time. This included a few accessories as well! This did include a trade in.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:

Because Triumph.

They don't want any old riff raff on thier brand new bikes you know.
Joking aside, it is the impression I get when I visit the dealership, particularly the one in Woburn.
The people I see browsing the stock there look fairly middle class, probably why they usually ignore me.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Seems expensive, because you can pick up a 61 plate for 5k anyway with luggage. Plus a 2010 with no differences is just a shade under 5k so room for movement, but oh well, you've gone and bought another slow litre bike Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:09 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Seems expensive, because you can pick up a 61 plate for 5k anyway with luggage. Plus a 2010 with no differences is just a shade under 5k so room for movement, but oh well, you've gone and bought another slow litre bike Wink

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/triumph/sprint-st-1050/?page=3

They all seem to be older, more expensive or nearly double the miles. (14k for the one I've bought that was actually £4895)

The only one that I found cheaper for the same miles was a 2005 that had just had it's clutch replaced Shocked

126 bhp and 160mph isn't that shabby....

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
you've gone and bought another slow litre bike Wink

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

126 bhp and 160mph isn't that shabby....

No it isn't and to be fair, you are carrying a favourable weight performance advantage over Paddy as well as creating less drag Smile

Nobby is like the Dani Pedrosa of BCF, or at least he would be except for the 20kg of metal in his face and wang.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2