Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro4, london emissions bollox

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Euro4, london emissions bollox Reply with quote

hi guys

just passed test so in the market for a 600. most likely a cbr600, r6 or a fazer.

havn't really kept up to date with Euro4 and london emissions crap, but what am I looking to avoid if wanting to keep the bike for the next few years as I believe some new emissions regulations come in 2018/19? which would mean if i buy a certain bike say 06 cbr it may not meet this

cheers Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's registration based so buying 08 onwards should see you ok for a time.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

Edited. Thanks Ben Thumbs Up

Last edited by grr666 on 11:07 - 17 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:08 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's registration based so buying 07 onwards should see you ok for a time.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

Careful now. The cutoff date for bikes is the 1st July 2007, which rules out most, if not all 07 registered bikes. You'd be much safer with a 57 plate or later.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:45 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

08+ R6.

2010s can be had for like 4-5k in top notch condition.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:48 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

cheers guys, sounds good to me, will go for 08 plate onwards just incase

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, as above. At some point, your Munchkin Mayor will start looking at Euro4, but realistically that can't be for many years to come.

The giggle is that a 2006 registered but already Euro3 compliant ER6 will get ULEZ-raped, but my carbed and modified Euro2 but 2008 registered Enfield would not.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an 08 FZ1 for £3k about a year and a half ago in preparation for this reason.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about picking such an arbitrary date's that a lot of non-compliant/late registered bikes sneak in. DT125's, XR's, the old Hornet.

As above you do have to be careful, just as an example, MT-03 launched in 2006 so the first model year isn't compliant, 2007 they fitted an o2 sensor so the bike's compliant... still buy one registered in the first 6 months of the year and you're screwed Confused

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the ULEZ charge before buying my 06 GSXR recently but then realised it's 3 years away and frankly I very likely would have changed bike at least 2 more times by then. I get bored quick and as I commute a different bike every so often keeps things interesting. So, not fussed until the time and then will pick up an 08 for cheaper than now Thumbs Up

I'm aware there may be a price hike of post 57 plate bikes as we near 2020 but that's likely to be temporary and mostly priced by dreamer ebay sellers who have a "proper mint bike ennet" to sell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdom86,

TheArchitect wrote:
I considered the ULEZ charge before buying my 06 GSXR recently but then realised it's 3 years away and frankly I very likely would have changed bike at least 2 more times by then.

This /\/\ .

If you're buying your 1st big bike than it's extremely likely you'll be looking for a different bike in 12-18 months.
Until you've had a big bike for a while, you won't appreciate what qualities are important to you that you hadn't understood when buying your first big bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:37 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much the price hike as the potential tanking of the market for pre-2008 bikes in the Sahrf East.

Maybe not as big an issue for GSXR and the like though.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
potential tanking of the market for pre-2008 bikes in the Sahrf East..

Good news for those oop-norf then... lots of pre-08 bikes about to hit your market will surely drop the prices a scotch-pound or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is of course supposing all the other major cities don't follow suit.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which other cities have a 'congestion charge'?

London, Bristol?

Didn't Manchester have a poll or something and most of it said no thanks?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

London, Bristol?

Oh dear, the poll didn't go our way and we won't make any money. Thinking

We'll have another poll and call it the 'Anyone who votes no is a potential speeding inconsiderate driver who wants to smoggy our city air and harm the children (with racist connotations)' vote. That should get it passed. Thumbs Up

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

...and in reality, the ULEZ area _is_ pretty small - I doubt it'll have much of an impact on used bike prices. Couriers will be offloading their CB500/ER5s - so you might be able to pick up a bargain with 250,000 miles on the clock.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's not so much the price hike as the potential tanking of the market for pre-2008 bikes in the Sahrf East.

As goto10 says, lots of people in the Sarf East rarely ride in London and never in central London.
My concern is this possible extension to the north/south Circular road, which would include the Blackwall Tunnel and that would fuck up a load of people that would have to go all the way out to the QEbridge and then come all the way back (cars and bikes) so it'd be more a MEBNQILNZ (More Emissions But Not Quite In London Now Zone)... Laughing

Still not enough risk for me to change either of my 02 and 03 bikes...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:04 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I am getting a little worried about Glasgow.

Hope Street, the #1 culprit, is almost entirely buses and taxis, but of course we all know those are the solution, so... Pale

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

...and in reality, the ULEZ area _is_ pretty small - I doubt it'll have much of an impact on used bike prices. Couriers will be offloading their CB500/ER5s - so you might be able to pick up a bargain with 250,000 miles on the clock.

You say that, my mate had to get rid of his Sprinter Luton because it was an old one and not suitable for use in
the standard LEZ when it was introduced which of course covers most of London. He was based in Romford and
worked delivering kitchens all over London and surrounding for Benchmarx as a self employed delivery subbie.
Ended up selling it for peanuts to some fella from Birmingham and couldn't afford to replace it, he hasn't worked since.
He wasn't making great money and with a baby to feed and a mortgage there wasn't any slack to buy a new van.

So in the name of progress and the lungs of the children, how long til the LEZ is regraded to ULEZ??
It only takes the stroke of a pen and it's done. With the increasing traffic in London would you put it past them
to make the whole inner M25 area ULEZ? I wouldn't.

ScaredyCat wrote:

London, Bristol?

Laughing When did what the people want have any bearing on what they introduce to tax us?
The initial cost of the cameras and infrastructure to enforce emission and congestion zones are probably all that's
stopping that from happening. They can't even stretch to some tarmac to fill a few potholes, never mind find hundreds
of millions to pay for all they need to make it happen, but the intent is there. No doubt in my mind about that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Unless I've missed the memo, Sadiq khan wants the zone to stretch to the north and south circular roads (beyond the initial plans). If that happens it's a fairly big deal.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
goto10 wrote:

Unless I've missed the memo, Sadiq khan wants the zone to stretch to the north and south circular roads (beyond the initial plans). If that happens it's a fairly big deal.

If that happens then I retract my statement about it not affecting used prices. But for the moment, the only firm date I've seen is September 2020 for the current ULEZ area.

But yes, if I lived/worked anywhere in the possible/proposed extended area, then I certainly wouldn't buy a pre-08 bike anytime soon - so I guess that in itself could lessen demand. *Shrug*

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I work in the currently proposed ULEZ, I park literally on the border just outside and live north.

Technically I can get to and from work without going into the zone. Problem occurs for me and for many others I would guess is that often, in order to avoid gridlock traffic (currently due to the congestion zone) I detour through the zone, although a longer distance can sometimes be quicker.

So my prediction is that with the ULEZ in place the outer roads skirting the zone will be at standstill during rush hour, this will lead to complaints from businesses and residents surrounding the zone which will mean more ammunition for Mr Mayor to extend the zone for "the greater good of Londoners".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:31 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-2/?cid=airquality-consultation

"the Mayor and many Londoners are interested in introducing ULEZ sooner than 2020 and for it to cover a larger area.

[Mayor Munchin proposes]
Extending the ULEZ from Central London up to the North and South Circular roads for all vehicles[3] as early as 2019, but possibly later."

Hold the phone though...

"L-Category vehicles (excluding motorcycles, mopeds and scooters)

The Euro standards for L-Category vehicles (motorised three-wheeled vehicles and quadricycles) are less advanced than for other categories. Euro 4 is the latest standard for them, only introduced from 2017. In recognition of this, the minimum ES standard will be set as Euro 3 for L-category vehicles that currently pay the Congestion Charge. This is in line with the agreed standards for the ULEZ.

Two wheeled motorcycles, mopeds and scooters are currently exempt from the Congestion Charge. It is proposed they will also be exempt from the ES."

Er, so are we raging over nothing? Eh?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

When did that change? Must be a revised proposal????

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Hold the phone though...

"L-Category vehicles (excluding motorcycles, mopeds and scooters)

The Euro standards for L-Category vehicles (motorised three-wheeled vehicles and quadricycles) are less advanced than for other categories. Euro 4 is the latest standard for them, only introduced from 2017. In recognition of this, the minimum ES standard will be set as Euro 3 for L-category vehicles that currently pay the Congestion Charge. This is in line with the agreed standards for the ULEZ.

Two wheeled motorcycles, mopeds and scooters are currently exempt from the Congestion Charge. It is proposed they will also be exempt from the ES."

I believe the ES thing (or sometimes called T-Charge) is an interim thing from 2017 until 2019-20. Bikes do appear to be exempt from this, but will be hit by the ULEZ that replaces it in 2020 (or possibly 2019).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2