Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Quote:
British 'Road-Craft', if you have to do some homework contains FAR more useful and pertinent intelligence,

Does it? On the observations and look-ahead side of things, sure. But the same cornering problems are encountered as with TotW. In short, the roads aren't good enough. This means that quite often, you can't/shouldn't go to the sides of your lane just to get a better look, because there are craters, wet drain covers, diesel, etc. on it.

Yup.. it's in that preface, that , if its still included says, "The tools offered in this manual are no substitute for, and still require the application of, your own common sense.... or to parrot phrase Pirates of the Carabean, "Ahrrrr you see, theyz beyin more liyk gyde-lynes, thun ak-chul, ROOLZ, y'seez"

Its a bit like the Cardington clog-dance... nice to be able to do... and it does work.. but it's not always the best way about things! Doing it 'just' because the book says so, sort of proves the point... 'you didn't read the preface, DID you?' lol

Code? USED to actually talk some good stuff! But then he gave up, when people just wanted to hand him money for a one size fits all panacea!

Its rather amusing, that he used to avoid other ardent Christian, Freddie Spencer, in the Padock in the 80's.... "He probably just wants me to give him ten reasons why he should 'work' on Sunday"... who now hosts a rival Motorcycle Master Class just up the road in Nevada!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:25 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
He'll just get Tom Cruise to bite your kneecaps off.

Now that'a a 'little' ironic, coming from you Rog... I'd stretch the pint size pun, but, in this case, think it apt to keep short....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://25.media.tumblr.com/3d35fca49bc9715446c1d4d61bfefc5f/tumblr_mtb2v8kpoC1sbd8szo1_250.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually you're going to have to chuck it in and put your trust in God that it grips. This is usually the epiphany of getting much faster and more confident. However I suggest this epiphany doesn't occur on the public highway...

Yep, I know I tout this a lot but the only real way to build your skills in relative safety is by doing trackdays, lots of them.

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the stage where I'm getting more confidence on corners - again!

Since getting a 650 I've found myself tensing up and fighting it round corners, I thought I had it sorted with the 125 but the 650's suspension just makes it feel like it's floating - it's a bit weird.

Funny how these things can come back without you realising. Now I'm conciously relaxing and it's getting better.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of useful bits of advice I was given were that you're riding with the bike. Your being in control of it requires you to prepare ahead to manouvre it so it can do it's bit. Essentially you're not in control of it exactly in the moment, but a few moments before. So, think ahead, slow before the turn and not during it. The control you have during the turn was put into action before it.

Stay relaxed and don't put your bike anywhere that your brain hasn't been 10 seconds before. Helps a lot when going round corners that you can't see the exit point of.

And very important, look at where you want to be.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2