Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gilera DNA 50 Help needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Markus01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:28 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Gilera DNA 50 Help needed Reply with quote

Hello I am looking for a little information that i cant seem to find anywhere online after days of searching so I am posting here in hopes that someone will know what I need.

I really want to get into working on motorcycles so i picked up a cheap 2002 Gilera DNA 50, it was in a sorry state when i picked it up so I got it for extremely cheap, free to be exact Very Happy. For the past couple of months i have been working on the bike, Ive had it in to as many little pieces as i possibly could and cleaned it inside and out top to bottom, replacing anything that couldn't be salvaged. All in all it didn't really need a lot doing to it, but gave me a little insight into how it all works an comes apart and goes back together, which is what I am wanting from the project, knowledge. So far everything has seemed straight forward, take apart, put back together the same way.

However, with my hastily 'unbolt and detach everything you can see' method, I hadn't really thought about the putting it back together part so much, looking back it would have been helpful to probably label what wires connected to what and which pipes go to where Rolling Eyes .

So this is where I am at right now, everything is near completion, I am just struggling with fuel pipes, and a couple of wire connections...

https://s19.postimg.org/wijmnv033/IMG_1849.jpg
Underneath the petrol tank is the petcock with pipe X coming out of it, am I right in thinking that this is for the vacuum and goes to the carburetor nipple closest to the intake manifold? i sucked on the pipe and the fuel left in the pipe moved a little bit but the tank is empty so didn't get anything coming out anywhere.
also looked on the intake manifold and there was nowhere for the pipe to attached so assumed it would be the nipple closest to it?

And also the nipples mark Y & Z i have no idea where these go so could someone let me know?

https://s19.postimg.org/z2f9hynn3/IMG_1850.jpg
https://s19.postimg.org/wz9fo1d7z/IMG_1851.jpg
A & C are 2 ends of one wire, B & D are 2 ends of a separate wire, Both wires are taped together but separate from the rest of the wiring harness.
I know wire A and wire 3 go to the starter relay but not sure which pin it goes on as there are two the same and could be either, one goes to the starter motor and one goes to the Positive on the battery (going by the wiring diagram) but both wires are red on the wiring diagram and both wires are red. I am assuming that A goes on the relay and C on the stater motor with 3 been wired into the Positive already?
Think i kinda just figured that one out on my own but could someone please confirm this?

So that just leaves 1, 2, B & D,
Taking another guess id say that B or D connects to the Negative on the battery, and then the others i have absolutely no idea about.

Sorry about the length of this just want to make sure I get it right.
Any help on this is much appreciated, Thanks in advanced.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't help with the Gilera, but I have to say, this is the first time I've actually seen a DNA thread start with such useful information. Usually it's "HALP URGENT!!! BIEK WONT GO!!!!" URGANT!! (which is how we know it's a Gilera before reading the thread).

So, well done, and I really hope someone can provide helpful advice and that you get it all running again.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help specifically either but there are workshop manuals for it to be found online. I reckon at least one of the other two connections on the fuel tank go to the carb but its' difficult to say without looking at the actual bike.

Pehaps the parts diagrams may also help
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/manufacturer/gilera/bike/dna-50/year/1998-2005/model/chassis-number-prefix-zapc27000/country/all

Markus01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thank you Rogerborg, and yes i know the threads you speak of, unfortunately they are all I can find when I did my google searches.

and thanks Meggark I have a workshop manual for it on my phone and have just looked threw the parts diagrams now and cannot find out from them either.

Really going to have to remember to label everything next time I do this Rolling Eyes

Markus01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:54 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured the wiring out, looking at the wiring diagram there seems to be 3 places where the wires are ground? So I beilieve B connects to the Negative on the battery, leaving D, 1 & 2 as ground wires, on the wiring diagram it shows 1 off the starter motor, 1 off the spark plug and 1 shortly after the starter relay.
So can anyone confirm this? And any advice on how I can ground these wires? If that's what I'm supposed to do.....

P.s. Still no idea when it comes to the fuel lines, I'm guessing they go to the carb as that has 2 nipples on it also, I guess it's back to Google and YouTube tonight to try and make sense of this.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lots of pictures and when you think you've taken enough, take a lot more as in my experience you always miss the most helpful one.

With wiring I wrap a little masking tape around the wire to act as a label.

Markus01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:57 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I looked back threw the pictures when I first got stuck, the wiring and the fuel pipes are probably the only things I didn't get photos of, typical haha. Managed to figure all the wiring out by just plugging everything in where it would fit and made sense then did the masking tape labelling and unplugged it all and fitted the harness, then used the wiring diagram for the parts that were left over, so wiring is all connected now. Figured out there was 2 smaller nipples and one larger nipple on the carburater and one larger on the fuel vacuum petcock pump thing? That's it's technical name I beilive Razz and one smaller, so the smaller one on the petcock is the same size as the larger on the carb so joined those two up now I'm left with 2 small nipples on the carb and one larger one on the petcock thing :/ no idea what to do with that now, everything else on the bike is complete aside from the brake calipers which just need reassembling an then it's ready for turning the key so any help with this please? Some body must know the answer. Thanks in advanced.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1