Kodi TV boxes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

deeds33
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:55 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Kodi TV boxes Reply with quote

Hi,
Anyone use these - what are your thoughts - I think I've bamboozled myself in looking - there seem so many different sorts on ebay/amazon! Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy as cheap as you can with S905 or S905X chipset and delete all the software on it and load Kodi back on yourself.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Kodi TV boxes Reply with quote

deeds33 wrote:
Hi,
Anyone use these - what are your thoughts - I think I've bamboozled myself in looking - there seem so many different sorts on ebay/amazon! Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers

Buy a kodi box from me.

Review thread.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=307578

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the windows version to get an idea.

As above you can try a cheapie and delete everything then install a clean version - but you want 2GB and newish Android version.
The ones that aren't up to spec are often deliberately confusing or light on important details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Amazon Firestick with Kodi installed (a friend did mine for me). Works faultlessly, love it - they are amazing things tbf.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
I've got an Amazon Firestick with Kodi installed (a friend did mine for me). Works faultlessly, love it - they are amazing things tbf.

Lies, buy one of Cansa's or you will get Cancer!

I use a TV stick as well

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firesticks are slow, they take a few seconds to respond and a few seconds to load anything in the interface.

Once you're actually watching something then the sticks are fine however there are much better options out there.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it on a fireHD box, it works well. If you are not basically technically proficient, buy off Cansa, if you cannot be arsed to feck about, buy off Cansa, otherwise have a go.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of upgrading from the firestick to something better tbh

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Firesticks are slow, they take a few seconds to respond and a few seconds to load anything in the interface.

Once you're actually watching something then the sticks are fine however there are much better options out there.

Yours must be broken. As I said in the other topic on the same subject, I've had Kodi run worse on £200+ tablets than the fire stick. For £20+ (they're often on sale) you can't go wrong.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those unsure of the performance, just ensure it's not the hardware and setup before committing. My hardware and setup is fine, it takes a bit of time during some functions due to other facts like connection bandwidths, pings etc.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antutu benchmark puts the Firestick at 9000ish and the S905 at 30000ish, no comparison for a device that costs the same money, why the fk would anyone want to recommend something that is 3x slower?

Because they bought one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Because they bought one, and have actual experience of the product, not just some numbers off internets

FTFY. Obviously ignoring the bit where I said I've had Kodi run worse on much more expensive/powerful hardware.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Fin wrote:

Yours must be broken. As I said in the other topic on the same subject, I've had Kodi run worse on £200+ tablets than the fire stick. For £20+ (they're often on sale) you can't go wrong.

Mine is bloody slow too. Has been from day 1. It still works though

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pjay wrote:
Because they bought one, and have actual experience of the product, not just some numbers off internets

FTFY. Obviously ignoring the bit where I said I've had Kodi run worse on much more expensive/powerful hardware.

I've no idea how you can get kodi to run any worse than you can on a firestick.

To be fair you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere on the internet that proves me wrong and you right.

Would you like me to point you to a bunch of tests and reviews of boxes and firesticks side by side?

There is no way on earth a firestick can run as well as an S905 chipset box that costs the same, its ridiculous in the extreme. I can run mine with 4k at 60fps video in the background of the menus and it would navigate around faster than a firestick can with nothing running in the background. Anyone that spends £30 on a firestick to play kodi is a moron and that is being polite.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
They all are, bin it and buy a dedicated box, there hasnt been one made in the last 2 years that isn't at least twice as powerful.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

firesticks are not upto the job, we got one free, put kodi on it but it's so sluggish it's painful

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:

What build are you using?

Pjay wrote:

I've no idea how you can get kodi to run any worse than you can on a firestick.

To be fair you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere on the internet that proves me wrong and you right.

Would you like me to point you to a bunch of tests and reviews of boxes and firesticks side by side?

There is no way on earth a firestick can run as well as an S905 chipset box that costs the same, its ridiculous in the extreme. I can run mine with 4k at 60fps video in the background of the menus and it would navigate around faster than a firestick can with nothing running in the background. Anyone that spends £30 on a firestick to play kodi is a moron and that is being polite.

I use my stick for other things than Kodi. I'm not saying it works better than this or that box, I'm saying for myself and a lot of other people I know they work fine.

What's the big deal about navigating menus with a video running (mine does that fine)? As I've repeatedly said I've had much more powerful tablets run much worse with Kodi, with a lot more crashes and glitches. It must not all be about hardware then Thinking

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
firesticks are not upto the job, we got one free, put kodi on it but it's so sluggish it's painful

M.C. Will tell you it's perfectly fine and faster than a £200 tablet. My old Hudl 2 pisses all over it, but hey, he knows better than everyone else on the internet that advises against firesticks.

I've used a few and to be fair, I'd never consider one again. Boxes these days are the much better option.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
As I've repeatedly said I've had much more powerful tablets run much worse with Kodi, with a lot more crashes and glitches. It must not all be about hardware then Thinking

Can we agree that the FireTV Box is faster and better than the Firestick?

FYI, the box benchmarks slower than an S905 Android box that costs £25

I shant be contributing to this ludicrous debate any longer, it's becoming very clear you are taking an install on a tablet that was probably full of shit running in the background and using that as some benchmark to decide that android devices are all shit. They just aren't. Dedicated android boxes are so much faster than a firestick its laughable to anyone that's used both to suggest otherwise.

I suggest you buy a decent box and see how ridiculous your comments really are.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobie here.....does the fire tv box just plug into the hdmi socket like the amazon firestick? Has it got a remote to control it? Is it pre loaded with the same Kodi add ons etc.

Thank you

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Kodi TV boxes Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Buy a kodi box from me.

Review thread.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=307578
I've had one of Cansa's for over a year and it's great. I recently bought my Dad an Android box, and it worked, but it crashes much more than Cansa's does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Can we agree that the FireTV Box is faster and better than the Firestick?

Why wouldn't they be?

Pjay wrote:
M.C. Will tell you it's perfectly fine and faster than a £200 tablet. My old Hudl 2 pisses all over it, but hey, he knows better than everyone else on the internet that advises against firesticks.

Pjay wrote:
I shant be contributing to this ludicrous debate any longer, it's becoming very clear you are taking an install on a tablet that was probably full of shit running in the background and using that as some benchmark to decide that android devices are all shit.

Sounds rather like you have a sample of one...

Pjay wrote:
They just aren't. Dedicated android boxes are so much faster than a firestick its laughable to anyone that's used both to suggest otherwise.

I suggest you buy a decent box and see how ridiculous your comments really are.

Show me where I said that? Hardware specs don't guarantee anything, I've had Kodi completely fail to run properly on much higher spec devices (than the fire stick).

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

M.C is at it again.

I guess I'll have to quote myself.
Quote:
You, as a user, are the worst kind of user. (Moans that it is rubbish, but refuses any help to make it better)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm losing you sales. Have you got a quote that's relevant to the topic?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4