Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle licensing post Brexit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:20 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

Do you guys think that after we leave, there could be new licensing laws made which are better and more accessible for younger learners? Or is that wishful thinking?

I ask because the retarded license system is due to the EU.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely to change.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Whats retarded about it?

Look at it like this. A Learner on a bike is the only one that can ride on their own..... And not have to actually ever bother to take a test (subject to renewing CBT every 2 years)

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how our system could be any better from a youngsters' point of view. So long as you do a CBT every two years you can ride unaccompanied forever without ever taking a test.

Incidentally the whole 'unaccompanied L' thing is nothing to do with Europe, in fact it isn't even mentioned in Euro law as far as I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Do you guys think that after we leave, there could be new licensing laws made which are better and more accessible for younger learners? Or is that wishful thinking?

Nope. I'm Afraid it's riding complete shit while 24 for you. Zero chance of a return to the old days of having a decent bike by 20.

Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Nope. I'm Afraid it's riding complete shit while 24 for you. Zero chance of a return to the old days of having a decent bike by 20.

Laughing

I assume by decent you mean unrestricted, and that's 21 with progressive access. 19 would have been the earliest you could ride whatever you want under the old system. It's a pain if you start riding say at 22, but with these proposed changes hopefully there will be tweaks to the current system.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
but with these proposed changes hopefully there will be tweaks to the current system.

Quote:
considering whether learner riders should need to either pass a theory test before they take a CBT course, or as part of their course

That should already be in place for ALL "L" riders/drivers. It beggar's belief that we let anyone on the road without knowing the theory behind road usage.. Twisted Evil

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle licensing post Brexit Reply with quote

Well, the DfT is thinking about finally changing that, and of giving a training route to upgrade licences, like a CBT+, which takes care of the two biggest issues.

The real daftness comes in the A2 bike category which is entirely arbitrary, matched almost no bikes when it was introduced (Brough Superior SS100...), and there are still very few native A2 test bikes available (395cc+, 20-35kW inclusive. Royal Enfield...).

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Do you guys think that after we leave, there could be new licensing laws made which are better and more accessible for younger learners?

There could be, but there won't. It'll be near the bottom of a huge list of things needing looked at, and there's no real incentive to change.

We might tweak mod 1 or go back to a single test in order to get rid of the test centres, but the Sir Humphreys in the DfT already scuppered the last attempt to do that under Mike "the bike" Penning, so don't hold your breath.

Even with the latest consultation, where the results look like a foregone conclusion (they're already paid for the graphics), I wouldn't expect any changes in implementation for a few years, while everyone runs around flapping their arms and squawking "Brexit! Brexit! What is to become of us?"

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Mod 1 was introduced because 50kph is breaking the speed limit on British roads (32mph?), so they do it in a car park instead.
At any rate, now they've shelled out bajillions of quid on said car parks (and very nice, they are too) they won't change it regardless.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:10 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it changing and becoming easier, but only in the very long term, when motorcycles are completely unrecognisable from what they are today. At that time there will be laws making automatic pop-down stabilisers compulsory at the lights, and airbag suits, satellite-controlled speed limiting, self-balancing forks (e.g. that latest Honda), autopilots (e.g. Yamaha), etc.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:16 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU licence laws were significant bastadised from UK practices & proposals.

Unsupervised L-Plating is actually a contravention of EU 3DL, whilst the A1 at 17, A2 at 19, and RWYL A at 24, are actually Eursations of what WAS proposed as a 'progressive' licencing system, that wished to see a 'staged' licence system, where all riders had to work their way through the ranks, and not pander to impatient mid-life-crisis man, doing it in a oner on the cheque book alone.

IF we leave the EU... if we are ALLOWED to leave the EU..... our autonomy to make independent laws might not be constrained by what is done in Europe.. BUT, if we want Johnny foreigner to let us drive abroad, then they have to recognize our driving licences, and if we make ours too different, they wont, so it's unlikely that even under treaty, we'd adopt different catagories or change age restrictions to them, or even power / weight performance requirements...

I mean, even if we did, who would make a bike for UK 'Restricted' licence holders? 33bhp 'restricted' licence existed almost 20 years, and no one bothered to build a bike for it... only now, 45bhp A2 licences have been imposed accross europe, often where licence or tax limits imposed a defacto 125cc or 350cc limit on any-one, granting 'big bike' access to a much broader market, have they started making bikes for that market...

And even there, where currently, regs permit a bike up to 70Kw to be 'restricted', provided by no more than 50% of original claimed power, I strongly suspect that that 'provision' to accommodate the lack of inherently A2 compliant bikes, will likely be 'revised' out of existance in the next ten years, as number of A2 as standard machines increases and filter down to 2nd hand market, and some change, or rationalization and possibly some token 'relaxation', possibly the 30Kw limit being increased to 40, (much like the 14.5 power limit increae for 125' whilst the 'unrestricted, pre 82 provisio was dropped) lets them sneakily drop the convoluted 'or restricted from' clauses from the laws.

System, as stands, I agree, with arbitrary age and power limits, is peculiarly punitive towards younger riders, to whom a bike is probably their largest and most significant financial asset, as well as likely their sole if not just main means of transport, and as such, their attitude is far more likely to be swayed towards prudence, by fear of having to keep making the HP payements and catch the bus to work, than it is in a Md-Life-Crisis newby or returnee, oft buying bike as a plaything for Sunny Sundays, that's paid for by not trading in the family car for a few months, and costs less than green fees or a gym membership and doesn't have to get them to work every day, or do anything to earn ts keep; who can crash, and not suffer too much as fully comp insurance takes care of the bike and BUPA the broken bones!

BUT, by the same token, under 25's do take a ht the insurance for good reason. Far too many CANT curb the enthusiasm that much, and any prudence they do apply is usually over compensated for by increased mileage, and hence greater risk, so they still crash more often!

Average family travel is in the order of 20K per year, split between two drivers. Often actually 'Mummy' doing most miles running kidlings around and dong the shopping whilst hubby toddles to and from work and down the fishing pond once a week. Young free and single under 25's on the other hand, will often clock 'almost' a family household's annual miles, doing both the daily bread winning commuting and 'essential' household chores, with one vehicle, but also engaging in a much more 'ranging' social life, clocking up a lot more leisure related miles, in a lifestyle, that entails a larger degree of risk whether motor related or not!

And access to 100bhp hyper machines is FAR too easy; Younger drivers are deterred from cars with that degree of performance by costs and running costs, and specifc age related insurance restrictons; the motorcycle licence system IS the only thing offering effective check against 150+mph crotch rockets.. which is WHY the A2 licence limitations are described as they are, prescribing 'sensible' all-round or commuter stye bikes, and specifically placing 100+bhp sports-bikes outside the scope of what might even be made A2 complient.

If they got rid of the DAS rules, and made any-on of any age, young or old, work thier way through 15bhp A1 bikes, 45bhp A2 bikes, before they could think about getting onto an unrestricted 600, would THAT be any 'fairer' on young riders?

Meanwhile, there has, in my life-time, which stretches as far back as compulsory crash hats, to mopeds for 16 year olds, then 125's for learners, there hasn't been a single piece of motorcycle legislation that HASN'T been in some-way more punitive than the last, some-how...

Whch makes me mndful of an old proverb about a sparrow who decided not to migrate for the winter and a cow who drops a steaming pile of manure on him, when he freezes solid; happy to be thawed, but stuck in the mire, he starts singing and a fox comes along and digs him out... then eats him!...

To which the moral is not every one who shits on you is your enemy, and any-one who digs you out the shit isn't always your friend. But if you are in a pile of shit and ent dead, keep your fucking mouth SHUT, and dig! it could be a whole lot worse!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:19 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I thought Mod 1 was introduced because 50kph is breaking the speed limit on British roads (32mph?), so they do it in a car park instead.

Mike Penning dropped it to 48kph or 29.8258mph. Well, technically you get a minor for 48 or 49kph, but, meh.

The idea was to move towards ditching the off-road centres and do it on the road, and it was trialled. I expect he just wanted examiners to eyeball it, but the Sir Humphreys insisted on it being done with a speed trap, and mini cones set out on the road and all sorts, that the examiner would have to carry with him, set up, and tear down. It was sunk on that basis - millions would die.

Idiotic, but that's pencil pushers for you. They're savagely resistant to any sort of change.

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
At any rate, now they've shelled out bajillions of quid on said car parks (and very nice, they are too) they won't change it regardless.

Agreed, although the bean counters will agitate for it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to the May's speech today, you don't have to worry about that, as it seems unlikely UK will ever leave.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

And access to 100bhp hyper machines is FAR too easy

Rolling Eyes

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh teffers, go take your face for a shit please Rolling Eyes

I think everyone in my circle of friends had a 100+ bhp bike before 20. Because that's why we liked bikes. We didn't pass our tests and get some shitty 4t two wheeled car, it was usually max bang for buck (usually 2t's or 400's) for a year or two, then straight up to 750cc + once we had money. At 19 i had a GSXR750L with 116 RWBHP, and some of my other mates had ZZR and GSXR 1100's etc. None of us ended up in a wheelchair or worse, because we weren't idiots and had solid skills developed by riding wobbly LC's and nice 400's, big bikes were a piece of piss in comparison, wider sticky tyres, cartridge forks, lots of power which results in less risk taking.

It's stopping kids getting on decent bikes that is killing biking. With the current licence regulations i would buy a car.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Local training school stick people doing full A lessons on full power CBF600's. Not a big deal. I seem to remember they are 90-100 BHP-ish.

100BHP is hardly a hyper machine... oh, wait, it's you, stuck in 1985... it is hyper to you.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure most other European countries have it better than us, e.g 125's at 16 A2 at 18 etc. It's wank having to be on a 125 until im 19.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

Most of it is to do with our government.

Andy_Pagin wrote:
I don't see how our system could be any better from a youngsters' point of view. So long as you do a CBT every two years you can ride unaccompanied forever without ever taking a test.

How about not redoing it every 2 years and upping the bike to a 250cc.

iooi wrote:

That should already be in place for ALL "L" riders/drivers. It beggar's belief that we let anyone on the road without knowing the theory behind road usage.. Twisted Evil

you get the important bits in the CBT while the trash and videogame is left with the official theory test.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Local training school stick people doing full A lessons on full power CBF600's. Not a big deal. I seem to remember they are 90-100 BHP-ish.

100BHP is hardly a hyper machine... oh, wait, it's you, stuck in 1985... it is hyper to you.

76bhp, but I found the jump from 125 to 48bhp more of a challenge than 48bhp to 100+ bhp. I don't doubt there are bikes out there that would make you shit yourself, I just think once you can handle the weight, and you're used to the power increase (from a tiddler) you should be fine on most big bikes.

rhys99 wrote:
Pretty sure most other European countries have it better than us, e.g 125's at 16 A2 at 18 etc. It's wank having to be on a 125 until im 19.

It's indeed, in your position I'd be buying a 2-stroke. It might even be cheaper to insure (I joke having once been quoted £1500 on a derestricted NSR) Very Happy

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:41 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's indeed, in your position I'd be buying a 2-stroke. It might even be cheaper to insure (I joke having once been quoted £1500 on a derestricted NSR) Very Happy

I do a around 15k a year and i just can't be arsed with paying for fuel and fiddling with 2 strokes all the time,Only another year until my A2 anyway.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I found the jump from 125 to 48bhp more of a challenge than 48bhp to 100+ bhp.

I found the differences in handling more of a challenge than the power differential. I went from 53bhp (Yamaha XJR400) to Kawasaki ZX6R (100bhp) to Yamaha R1 (150bhp), all similar weights but increasingly sharper steering and lower, narrower bars. The R1 surprised me by being docile in town. It doesn't make 150bhp all the time! Admittedly if you're cack-handed with the throttle the bigger bike will punish you hardest, but if you're not it's still the handling which will catch you out I reckon, more than the available power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think freedom from Europe will lead to more sensible legislation. Britain is a world leader in pointless legislation. Besides our legislators won't want to be seen as less progressive than the rest of Europe so we'll still have the same rubbish here as everywhere else. Maybe more so as our legislators try to lead the way ahead of Europe.

Last edited by kgm on 15:21 - 24 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I do a around 15k a year and i just can't be arsed with paying for fuel and fiddling with 2 strokes all the time,Only another year until my A2 anyway.

Fair point, but apparently a DT125 will do 20k between rebuilds. A year on a 4-stroke 125 was more than enough for me.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
M.C wrote:
I found the jump from 125 to 48bhp more of a challenge than 48bhp to 100+ bhp.

I found the differences in handling more of a challenge than the power differential. I went from 53bhp (Yamaha XJR400) to Kawasaki ZX6R (100bhp) to Yamaha R1 (150bhp), all similar weights but increasingly sharper steering and lower, narrower bars. The R1 surprised me by being docile in town. It doesn't make 150bhp all the time! Admittedly if you're cack-handed with the throttle the bigger bike will punish you hardest, but if you're not it's still the handling which will catch you out I reckon, more than the available power.

Interesting. I did find having less steering lock (is it called steering lock on bikes Confused) odd at first, but you get used to it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Interesting. I did find having less steering lock (is it called steering lock on bikes Confused) odd at first, but you get used to it.

It was more to do with rate of turn. I had read about "rapid steering" in the bike magazines but didn't understand what it meant until I bought the R1. I kept clipping the centre line early and 50p-ing bends until I realised that the R1 wanted to go deeper into corners before initiating a smooth turn, something I wasn't comfortable with for a long time.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
How about not redoing it every 2 years and upping the bike to a 250cc.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to let bikers (even on small bikes) ride for long without doing the full test of some type.
It doesn't apply to me now but I'd be in agreement if they limited the CBT to 2 years and then you must get a licence or stop biking.
Either they're good enough to pass a test by then (even a piss poor test) or they shouldn't be on the road.

On top of that, although I think a 175cc but 20hp limit would be a better size, I wouldn't be for a 250cc limit.
The additional 50cc gives just enough torque to reduce the (IMO) dangerous problem with these little bikes, but not enough for them to get back to the 'fucking dangerous' 250cc bikes I wanted to own when I was 17.

I was always the slowest one of the 'crew' and I'm amazed so many of us survived relatively unscathed, but I guarantee we'd have attended more funerals if the traffic had been as heavy and poor as it is today.
That may seem odd coming from someone that passed their test on a 250 long before the present system, but the roads are so much more congested/dangerous now than they were back then.

The main thing I do think is wrong with the present system is than my mates daughter can't do her test on a 500cc+ bike because she's very petite and can't do the 'push the bike' bit, but she only wants to ride a lightweight 250/300cc bike. She should be able to get a licence for a sub 500cc but not be stuck on a 125cc. So to some degree she's being legislated against from a size'ist perspective.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4