Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are there different ways of adjusting a chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tastevodka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Are there different ways of adjusting a chain? Reply with quote

So I was talking to someone the other day about adjusting chain tension and they said what you had to do is loosen the wheel axis and move the wheel back (They were looking at my bike at the time) So I looked online on how to do it properly and it doesn't sound like at all what he was suggesting.

I have a suzuki 125 gz marauder ( I also looked online for a owners manual and couldn't find anything )

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the usual way...
Slacken the rear spindle (and torsion bar if it has a rear drum brake).
Tighten the chain adjusters (the same amount each side) a bit at a time and keep checking the chain slack.
When it's done, tighten and re-torque the spindle (and torsion bar), re-check the chain slack.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Are there different ways of adjusting a chain? Reply with quote

Tastevodka wrote:
So I was talking to someone the other day about adjusting chain tension and they said what you had to do is loosen the wheel axis and move the wheel back (They were looking at my bike at the time) So I looked online on how to do it properly and it doesn't sound like at all what he was suggesting.

I have a suzuki 125 gz marauder ( I also looked online for a owners manual and couldn't find anything )

In essence what he said was correct, just lacking in detail. As above there are normally adjuster nuts at the rear of the swing arm. You slacken the axle to allow it to move then tighten up the adjuster nuts which draws the axle backwards in the swing arm, thus tightening the chain. Vice versa to loosen. You just need to make sure you tighten the adjuster nuts by the same amount on both sides (count each face of the nut as you turn it, a little at a time each side) otherwise you'll put the wheel out of alignment.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://mikezornek.com/media/images/ziggy-quantum-leap.png
According to Ziggy...
...this thread has a 99.999999% probability of turning into a bitchfest about centrestand, sidestand, sitting on the bike or HAYNES BRUH.

Due notice: EVACUATE THE THREAD! Police Police Police

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Tastevodka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:02 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys and clearing stuff up Very Happy

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try holding the back wheel still and using the adjusters to move the rest of the bike forward.

Seriously though, what meggark said. Doing it methodically is the name of the game. It's not impossible to get it back into alignment if you bollocks it up but it can be interminable, winding the nuts back and forth for hours, so tiny adjustments the same on each side is the way forward.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:15 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to do it is in a Workshop.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the marauder there's adjuster nuts to the rear of the swingarm. Loosen the spindle (i think this is what you called the axis) then turn both adjuster nuts half a turn clockwise and observe what happens. Keep making half or quarter turn adjustments. Same each side. If you screw that up compare the length of exposed thread each side with vernier callipers (or perhaps tyre depth gauge has enough reach?). Before you tighten the spindle, put an old screwdriver or similar between the sprocket and chain and turn the wheel slightly so it pulls the chain tight, don't swing on it, the idea is to pull the spindle and adjusters up against the end of the swingarm, as the adjusters only pull, they don't push. This will help the wheel stay aligned. Tighten the spindle, remove screwdriver and check tention is ok all the way around the chain. It helps to have a pit-stand on for this rather than keep pushing the marauder back and forth. Same item also makes chain clean and lube 100 times easier.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw driver between chain and sprocket to tighten after adjusting is a good tip. If you do knock the alignment it doesn't have to be perfect in a bike like yours. I normally use the straight edge method. I've never liked the string or little sprocket clip on thing methods so if I don't have a straight edge I just use the alignment marks on the swingarm and have a visual inspection to make sure the chain is running straight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1