Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which bike? i dont get it :/

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:00 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

Sorry if this sounds like I'm being bitchy, but I honestly don't get why so many people ask someone else what bike they should ride?

Surely if you have decided to buy a bike, you must have seen one you like.

Ive never heard anyone ask "what car should I buy"

You could advise someone what to buy and they could hate it, just cos one person likes it doesn't mean we all do.

Anyway.... ill just step down of this soapbox before I fall off Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what big bike to buy, someone recommended an MT-03 on here, I bought one Very Happy However my last what bike thread when I wanted something lighter but still upright, ended (probably unsurprisingly) with get a Fazer.

I shan't be bothering again Folded arms

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly post, as it sounds like a bitch moan to me! But people ask what bike because:

1, have no or little experience of bikes or commuting or touring etc,and would like advice from people who have ridden plenty of bikes in.the sort of usage they are looking to do.

2, because they are lazy and can't be bothered to do research for themselves.

3, have a set budget, but as above they don't know what that budget can buy them, so want someone to tell them what certain bikes are worth and how much a particular model and year should cost them.

4, too much choice out there, you can chase yourself round in circles looking for what you think you need or want. But unless you try or ride everything your thinking of for the sort of riding you want to do, you won't know if it's any good?

5, people might want an xyz750 but not know how reliable or durable they are, what servicing and spares supply is like and how much the running costs are. They might want a seasoned xyz750 owner to tell them the gen and fill all the blanks.

Again most of the above points to the fact that people are generally lazy but you'll have to deal with that and accept it, as they ain't gonna change anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:15 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, if your a new rider.... which most of these people are, then ANY bike is going to be exciting and a thrill to ride.

Unless you buy something you spend more time fixing Embarassed

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a truthful answer you'd have to ask the person on their thread asking the question. Still with me?

My take on it is that why wouldn't you? For someone new asking on here is an easy and free way to get information about what may and may not suit that individuals needs. For someone with experience it's a way to have a natter about a potential investment and get an insight into the unknown, to them, good and bad points about owning the bike to weigh up and see if they want it.

I'd have purchased an overpriced GS 500 or Bandit 600 if I hadn't of asked on here so it comes with plus points.

The bike I eventually purchased was a decision I made by myself because I'd finally found one I wanted. Probably worth considering it's advice that the person asking the question should be after rather than confirmation from strangers on the internet in the form of approval.

But this is BCF. If it's not a Fazer 600 being recommended then it's whatever that person owns because why not.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above with the occasional new rider looking for someone to justify their choice of dream bike as their first bike.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
The bike I eventually purchased was a decision I made by myself because I'd finally found one I wanted.

Lies, we basically had to bully you into buying that bike Very Happy

Quote:
But this is BCF. If it's not a Fazer 600 being recommended then it's whatever that person owns because why not.

It's true, there also seems to be a consensus that forms which's boring. Every 125 thread recommended a Varadero for a while, Street Triple for a big bike, and then Fazers seem to be where it's at now.

It's almost as if aggressively pushing your bike drives up it's desirability Shhh!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lies, we basically had to bully you into buying that bike Very Happy

I, selectively, fail to recall, sorry. I'm sure the trail of never ending threads state otherwise. Shifty

Still, I'd say taking my time and asking on here eventually led me to a decent "the, for now, one" because 300 miles in and two months, somewhat, on I've not had to do nothing but lube the chain and adjust tyre pressures.

Still enjoying it although have gone counter opposite to what I was like when I first got it so instead of bimbling around carefully in 2nd all the time I'm looking to make progress, overtakes, fitting in small gaps and so on although does mean now I prefer the use of the power I don't much care for riding in bad weather because it brings not a single grin on me noggin while riding, I'll go to work if I have to but nothing compares to whizzing around on dry roads with the zhaust screaming.

Big ticket items coming up are valves and tyres and the former isn't for a good few miles although am in two minds with just ignoring it currently winning because expensive and often don't need doing anyway. Tyres because it's been on the list since I first viewed the bike, post winter most probably.

Could probably do with a lighter bike for storage purposes, mainly so I don't end up sleeping in the hedge while trying to back it down the path.

Should probably hit reserve some time to find out the true MPG. Currently filling up before need to because choke on cold starts and leaving the bike sitting from time to time for a week without use. 10-11 litres gets me around 70-75 miles. Still some fuel left in but can never tell how much. Don't trust myself not to end up pushing it home because it would be just my luck.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:

Really??? You have no friends then?
PistonHeads has a whole sub-forum, just for that...

All vehicles (cars/bikes/whatever) have strengths and weaknesses, weighing them up before purchase is half the fun Smile

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Should probably hit reserve some time to find out the true MPG. Currently filling up before need to because choke on cold starts and leaving the bike sitting from time to time for a week without use. 10-11 litres gets me around 70-75 miles. Still some fuel left in but can never tell how much. Don't trust myself not to end up pushing it home because it would be just my luck.

31.9MPG (10L & 70 miles) with a 22L tank you are looking at about 150 Miles before spluttering to a halt.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:22 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm being bitchy, but I honestly don't get why so many people ask someone else what bike they should ride?

Surely if you have decided to buy a bike, you must have seen one you like.

And maybe you've overlooked one of the more esoteric brands. A general question can raise unconsidered possibilities.

Quote:

You aren't married then? Or have friends who only know one car from the other by colour?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:31 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked what bike I should buy and the 990 was suggested. Bought one (6 months or so on anyway). I'd have known nothing of them if I'd not have asked, and I love it so I'd have missed out.

Cars - I asked on another forum which car to buy that was economical, practical, reliable, and sub 8 grand. Ended up buying a Porsche 911, so that was an interesting one.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be asking, because a 10+ year gap (DD40+SP60, resulting insurance clusterfuck) means I know nowhere near as much as I should about the last 10-15 years of bikes when it comes to reliability, ease of working on (No garage), special tools etc.

People here know this stuff, and can save me from buying a muti-thousand pound money pit.

I'll happily contribute where I know stuff (Older Older i4's, weirder stuff like the Z1300 and CBX100). It's the very point of a forum, you give and take (I say, matron!), and everyone gains. Unless you're 007 or whatever he's decided to call himself this week. He's of purely negative value.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:17 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked I had 2 bikes in mind, but having no real world experience of biking just wasn't sure about anything.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:43 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

defblade wrote:

All vehicles (cars/bikes/whatever) have strengths and weaknesses, weighing them up before purchase is half the fun Smile

Was going to say... He's never been on Pistonheads then!?

I have to say it's not something I've ever done personally but I can totally understand it. What you don't want to do when shelling out thousands of pounds is end up with something unsuitable, something that isn't fun, or something that is just an old dog that needs constant repair.

To most people the cost of a motorcycle (or car) Is absolutely not insignificant, and they want to be sure they make the right decision. In my experience, people rarely buy what they are advised to buy on here anyway, so it's usually just a way of helping the decision making process rather than having it out of their hands.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
Barnoe wrote:

You don't even have to leave this very forum

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=316667

And going by the toic name, it's not the only thread...

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

You aren't married then? Or have friends who only know one car from the other by colour?

Quote:

Yea I am married and I have some friends honest Cool although I cant recall ever going on Pistonheads.

With cars I just buy what is needed practically for my life at that time.... well I avoid small cars and never buy French as a rule.

So at the moment I have 2 cars...
I have a caravan so I have a LWB Shogun 3.2ltr turbo diesel which has been excellent and never lets me down and does 31 mpg which for a 4x4 is very good.
For work I have 2ltr turbo Diesel Mondeo as I do a lot of miles so at 60mpg is good for me.... plus carrying tools, paint etc id rather use this than damage the Shogun

Now I think about it, the Mondeo was a mistake.... not that its let me down, but I should have really bought another van.
But at the time of buying it suited my needs, I will change it this year Smile

Reliability isn't much of an issue choosing cars or bikes as I buy relatively new vehicles (2-4 years old) and most makes these days are reliable now.
also I stick to big brands, so i avoid Chinese bikes.
I also avoid bikes with high maintenance costs or bikes that need to be messed with in a workshop too much, as i just cant be arsed with that.

In short if i asked for advice with the rules set out above, most people would just think I'm a fussy dick lol

Take my current bike CBR600F 2012 ive had it nearly 2 years now and its been fantastic.
I knew that buying Honda was a safe bet, and i knew that the CBR had been around ages.... long enough for Honda to have ironed out any problems.
Obviously i liked the look of it too..... nobody wants to ride something they don't like the look of, no matter how reliable it is!

TL;DR
Like the look of it and its a tried and tested reliable brand.... buy it

Smile

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:01 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:

Now I think about it, the Mondeo was a mistake.... not that its let me down, but I should have really bought another van.
But at the time of buying it suited my needs, I will change it this year Smile

So maybe if you had gone on some forums you would have come to this conclusion before buying the Mondeo? Perhaps another builder (or whatever you do) would have said nah mate, been there, seen it, got the t-shirt, get a van.

A lot of the time people will be toying up between a few bikes / cars. There will be those who just want a Harley Davidson or whatever but for most we are a bit malleable. If someone had said to me hey I wouldn't get that Honda as it breaks down all the time then that would have put me off. Same with my Audi - there were quite a few horror stories on reliability for certain year models, so I steered clear of those and all has been good. A friend actually has just learned the hard way as her Q7 (30k's worth second hand) just blew its engine to pieces and Audi are saying tough luck. Common fault it would appear with that year.

A large draw of a forum like this is that there is a lot of knowledge. You can ask about any bike ever made and someone will have owned or ridden one. That's invaluable, especially if you are buying older and want to know if the thing will drop its pistons on you a few miles down the road.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
31.9MPG (10L & 70 miles) with a 22L tank you are looking at about 150 Miles before spluttering to a halt.

And that, for future reference, would be considered a decent return?

First bigun so can't tell if that's about right or destroying fuel range with short inner city commute with constant stop start traffic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:34 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that someone suggests a bike you simply haven't thought of or weren't aware of.

Like a lot of people come on asking about what bike to get and have been looking at cruisers on the basis they have short legs and lack the confidence to paddle a bigger bike around.

What they actually need is a little light bullying to practice more, not buying a low bike. They are also often unaware that seat height isn't anywhere near as important as width when it comes to reachign the ground.

Lots of people thing a big single dirtbike is better for use for winter commuting where a faired sports/commuter would probably be a lot more suitable.

Sometimes people are going to buy a 600 diversion and you get a chance to stop them.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:

I have.

/thread
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is that test riding bikes is so much more difficult than doing so with cars. The vast majority of bikes are sold without a test ride. The opposite is true of cars.

Plus some of us have ridden so many bikes, we can direct people with misled perceptions of various bikes.

It also means we can stop people buying ER6s.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Which bike? i dont get it :/ Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I have to say it's not something I've ever done personally but I can totally understand it.

Didn't I suggest a Speed Four to you a couple of years ago which you subsquently bought? Shhh!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:55 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF said try a Fazer, I tried a Fazer, it was a very good bike.

I didn't get it because I'm a fearty, but BCF wasn't wrong.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:13 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people state their requirements from a bike then I don't see why anyone would have a problem giving them the benefit of their experience. If someone said that they were looking for a fast, long distance tourer that could carry loads of gear and a passenger then I would recommend an FJR1300 based on my experience of them over the last few years. I'm not up to date on small commuter bikes so couldn't really give advice one way or another. If a motorcycle forums members can't ask advice from other members then what's the point of forum?

Most of us at some point will read road tests that are typically done on new bikes by professional testers who are little more than the puppets of the manufacturers. Even if they do put out a fair and objective report it rarely mirrors the reality. The last test I read of FJR's I read took place on a race track. Hardly the natural setting for a continent crossing tourer.
Before I buy a bike I read as much as I can from as many sources as possible and make a decision. Forums, in my opinion can be a valuable source of information but the problem is sorting out the good information from the uninformed opinions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2