Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New & oblivious - and I love it!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

Hi guys, my name is Darren, 28, a Web Developer from Scotland and I'm very much new to the motorcycling scene.

When I was young I was always fascinated by motorbikes and as I got older, for some reason I thought motorcycling was out of reach until a friend of mine passed his CBT and got himself a 125 for commuting. That gave me hope, so I looked into it, realised it wasn't so out of reach and booked my CBT!

I got through the CBT relatively easily although they did note that my indicator game was pretty poor Sad I then went on and booked my theory test which again, I got through relatively easily thanks to a few choice iPhone apps.

It was my initial plan to get a 125 and practice on that for a couple months, but instead, I opted to put the money towards a DAS Course which I start on February 13th.

I'm very excited & very nervous - I've been driving cars for 7 years and I might also own a road bike... so I'm hoping the road craft stuff isn't wildly different.

When I get through my Direct Access, I'm looking to pick up a bike which is reasonably economical and fun to drive. I've been considering;

* Kawasaki ER6N
* Yamaha MT07
* Yamaha XJ6N
* Honda CB500F

I'd appreciate any advice/experience you could share, regarding the DAS & also open to bike advice. This is all new to me but I love it!

Cheers,
Darren

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:01 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

Yo dude im 28 and i went the wrong way about learning to ride!

driving 10 years , fast cars, (400hp scoobies etc) biking is nothing like it

i booked my das without learning on a 125 for long enough (only a few weeks on a geared bike). big mistake. unless you are a natural, which could be a possibility!

took me enough attempts at mod 1 before passing, with months waiting inbetween etc.

i'd ride for a few months before booking your DAS, even tho i thought the 125 was boring and i was at full throttle most of the time, its the slow speed manouvres and general bike control you learn over time that u need for mod1 (and mod2 ofc)

as for bikes ive no real idea, ive got a CB650F as of yesterday (passed yesterday, read my story its on this page, might find it helpful!), so dont know why ur opting for a 500 and not a 650 honda :p

HTH

Ash

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the license and then think about bikes because your in dream land at any point between now and then. Could fantasise all day long but you won't, legally, be able to ride them so is semi-pointless in my view. Most importantly I say it because your opinions will probably change throughout the course and might want something different once you've got some experience and a license under your belt.

wrote:
DAS Advice?

Turn up, enjoy it and pass tests.

There's not really much to it and days don't come much more joyous than spending several hours with nothing else to worry about bimbling around on someone else's bike and a couple of strangers to keep you company.

Doing it in February you'll probably want to invest in some decent thermal layers and gear because you'll find out very quickly just how not very fun at all riding a bike can be with the wrong gear for the conditions.

Listen to what you get told, pass tests and ride how you like. Probably best to pass, where possible, first time because waiting times are a pain in the rear.

Enjoy. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:38 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

Let me help you avoid buying yourself a boring bike.

taybagger wrote:

* Kawasaki ER6N
* Yamaha MT07
* Yamaha XJ6N
* Honda CB500F

I'd possibly say the ER6 is more practical in terms of carrying stuff on it etc. The Yamahas are tricky to luggage-up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:53 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

taybagger wrote:
It was my initial plan to get a 125 and practice on that for a couple months, but instead, I opted to put the money towards a DAS Course which I start on February 13th.

You have chosen... wisely. If you enjoyed the CBT you're right to just batter on and get licensed up.

taybagger wrote:
I'm hoping the road craft stuff isn't wildly different.

Nope. You can move around more in your lane to see and be seen (don't stop too close behind large vehicles). Slower into junctions and roundabouts, quicker out. Wheelies when you pass any totty in the summer, that's about it.

ER6 or MT-07 are both perfectly decent choices. Bikes are very personal though, so don't decide until you've ridden a few.

I actively prefer twins, because I'm a fearty. Other riders enjoy the top end rush from inline 4s and will demand that you buy a Hornet or FZS6. Street Triple riders will just smile smugly, like they do.

Where are you planning to do your tests? Up Dundee way?

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AshWebster fair point. I'm hiring a 125 on Saturday, my friend is going to come ride with me. Hoping to get a 100 miles under my belt and some practice at slow control stuff - will see how I feel after that! Razz

@NJD yeh fair point, I will be riding on an ER6N so will at least get a feel for that bike.

@stinkwheel cheers for the advice, noted Smile

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
taybagger wrote:

You have chosen... wisely. If you enjoyed the CBT you're right to just batter on and get licensed up.

taybagger wrote:
I'm hoping the road craft stuff isn't wildly different.

Nope. You can move around more in your lane to see and be seen (don't stop too close behind large vehicles). Slower into junctions and roundabouts, quicker out. Wheelies when you pass any totty in the summer, that's about it.

ER6 or MT-07 are both perfectly decent choices. Bikes are very personal though, so don't decide until you've ridden a few.

I actively prefer twins, because I'm a fearty. Other riders enjoy the top end rush from inline 4s and will demand that you buy a Hornet or FZS6. Street Triple riders will just smile smugly, like they do.

Where are you planning to do your tests? Up Dundee way?

I'm originally from Dundee, now live in Kirkcaldy. Done my theory test in Dundee and as far as I know, will be doing Mod 1 and Mod 2 in Kirkcaldy with ProScot.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:19 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

taybagger wrote:
now live in Kirkcaldy.

You jammy git, you've actually got a Kawasaki dealer up there. Lording it over us...

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that's true - there's a Yamaha dealer here as well.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Congratulations on a fine choice of hobby, you'll never look back. Except when doing lifesavers... Shifty

You also have Cupar Motorcycles only a short(ish) journey away - I've always found them to be a friendly, helpful bunch with a fairly tasty, and eclectic, range of used machines.

I'm based in Dundee and would be more than happy to meet for a bimble on the bikes and / or a chat if you're ever around. There are some great road rides around the area. PM me if so Thumbs Up .

FWIW, I rode my CG125 as much as I could for around nine months prior to doing any DAS training or tests. Initially I was so wobbly that I wondered if biking was for me. Lots of practice around the local side streets and car parks helped get over that very quickly and soon I was having a jolly good time. Mod 1 and 2 seemed a doddle when they came. However, I'm aware that most on here argue that's the wrong approach and to get straight into training. I'm sure either way has associated pros and cons. Whatever you end up doing, be as relaxed as you can (maan) and have fun. You'll get there (probably Very Happy ).

Cheers

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
Hi Darren,

Congratulations on a fine choice of hobby, you'll never look back. Except when doing lifesavers... Shifty

You also have Cupar Motorcycles only a short(ish) journey away - I've always found them to be a friendly, helpful bunch with a fairly tasty, and eclectic, range of used machines.

I'm based in Dundee and would be more than happy to meet for a bimble on the bikes and / or a chat if you're ever around. There are some great road rides around the area. PM me if so Thumbs Up .

FWIW, I rode my CG125 as much as I could for around nine months prior to doing any DAS training or tests. Initially I was so wobbly that I wondered if biking was for me. Lots of practice around the local side streets and car parks helped get over that very quickly and soon I was having a jolly good time. Mod 1 and 2 seemed a doddle when they came. However, I'm aware that most on here argue that's the wrong approach and to get straight into training. I'm sure either way has associated pros and cons. Whatever you end up doing, be as relaxed as you can (maan) and have fun. You'll get there (probably Very Happy ).

Cheers

Will definitely keep that in mind, we should absolutely meet up for a ride in the future Smile

I'm actually hiring a 125 from Cupar on Saturday for a bit of practice! Really nice guys!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:40 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

taybagger wrote:
Haha, that's true - there's a Yamaha dealer here as well.

https://charzweb.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/d7dfe614383509199e42f05d43e97693e801b494f4a43d3525375d4912367571.jpg

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those options I'd say er6 is more practical, mt07 slightly more fun. I have n er6f as a commuter and it's great at that. Like Roger I prefer twins.

I did 4 months of daily 125ing before DAS and found it a skoosh . Don't think it's necessary to do the 125 route unless you found the CBT a challenge but it certainly doesn't hurt. I still ride the 125 regularly and have fun in it, for different reasons than the er though.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:20 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my training with John and his team at Pro Scot, great choice, terrific school, and John is one of the most highly qualified instructors in the in the U.K. his low speed bike control is on 'lampkin' level. Enjoy your DAS. RE mod one etc Pro Scot will even hire the test centre before your test in order for you to practice in the actual test centre.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:08 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything specific that the test centre up there likes to focus on? I ask because Glasgow Shieldhall, for example, are mad keen on finding unmarked crossroads, which you don't see a lot of.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Is there anything specific that the test centre up there likes to focus on? I ask because Glasgow Shieldhall, for example, are mad keen on finding unmarked crossroads, which you don't see a lot of.

Couple of unmarked junctions around test routes, 20mph zones, and roundabouts with 2 lanes going to 3 (spiral type) making sure lane discipline, lifesavers and shoulder checks done in plenty time etc.

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mostly good things about ProScot. Did my CBT with them and had absolutely no problems, instructor was a top guy.

Hopefully the training for DAS goes as smoothly!

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: New & oblivious - and I love it! Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Let me help you avoid buying yourself a boring bike.

taybagger wrote:

* Kawasaki ER6N
* Yamaha MT07
* Yamaha XJ6N
* Honda CB500F

I'd possibly say the ER6 is more practical in terms of carrying stuff on it etc. The Yamahas are tricky to luggage-up.

Any reason why you'd class the XJ6N as more boring than an ER6N ?

XJ6N has more power and isn't a boring twin. I've had one a few years now and its been reliable, doesn't turn orange when slightly damp and still puts a smile on my face.

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hired out a Keeway RKV 125 from Cupar Suzuki today and went out with a friend for some practice which was very worth while.

I was extremely nervous initially, looking out onto the road as I sat on this bike trying to remember where everything was, what everything did and what order to do things in.

Once I got going, it all came back to me. When we stopped my friend was giving me pointers and telling me when I missed my lifesavers which was helpful.

Our wee day out ended up being a ride from Cupar -> Kirkcaldy -> Dalgety Bay -> Dunfermline -> Cupar with some obligatory tea/coffee stops in between.

By the end of it, I was feeling fairly comfortable although my cornering wasn't particularly good, felt i was slowing down a bit too much to get round corners but considering it was my first ride since passing the CBT, I'm happy and look forward to starting my DAS.

Here's a wee picture of the beast with my mates honda cbr500r lurking in the background.

https://i.imgur.com/djSrrWzl.jpg

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT-09 has all the advantages of an MT-07 but with extra tripply goodness, and more BRAAAPP

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
The MT-09 has all the advantages of an MT-07 but with extra tripply goodness, and more BRAAAPP

...and I believe front tyre wear is extremely low on account of it barely touching the road during a ride Twisted Evil

Joking aside, it might have a touch too much mental about it for a new rider. That and the allegedly snatchy throttle I hear the older ones have.

OP - Do DAS and base your wish list on what you like/don't like about your training bike.

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, will hopefully test ride a few before I make a decision.

rssfed23
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:07 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
OP - Do DAS and base your wish list on what you like/don't like about your training bike.

This! - Passed my test on Dec 23rd (First time DAS no 125 experience no minors. It's almost enjoyable once mod1 is done!).

Test rode a bunch of bikes but in the end realised I enjoyed the ER6-N that I learnt on and found it the most comfortable of the bunch that I tested (nothing too powerful for a first bike) so went and ordered a Ninja650! - Being delivered next Friday. Can't wait Very Happy

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:59 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rssfed23 wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

This! - Passed my test on Dec 23rd (First time DAS no 125 experience no minors. It's almost enjoyable once mod1 is done!).

Test rode a bunch of bikes but in the end realised I enjoyed the ER6-N that I learnt on and found it the most comfortable of the bunch that I tested (nothing too powerful for a first bike) so went and ordered a Ninja650! - Being delivered next Friday. Can't wait Very Happy

Correct me if I'm wrong but a ninja is nothing like an er6n?

taybagger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Ninja just the faired version? (or ER6-F)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3