Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter ring-a-ding-ding.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Winter ring-a-ding-ding. Reply with quote

What better to cart me about in winter than an Italian 2-stroke supermoto?

https://s29.postimg.org/wizkj97s7/20161126_131059.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/ussr8ihrh/20161126_131106.jpg

I know, loads of things.

Since these pics the bike has been gone over, Renthal fatbars fitted, new pads, carb cleaned, auto lube hooked back up (was running pre mix), gearbox oil changed etc.

Motor was rebuilt (crank/mains/piston/barrel) by previous owner and was on it's first tank of pre-mix. I'm using it as a winter bike at the moment, just cleaning the salt off it every other day. Fires first or second kick and sounds/pulls great on the Arrow pipe. Bike is fully derestricted (including the CDI bridge) so goes like a raped ape when the Rave valve opens.

Always fancied one of these from when I first saw one at about 14yr old.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking superb behaviour! Thumbs Up

I've been watching lots of 125 vids on YouTube recently, of nutty Italian teenagers on KTM and Husqvarna supermotards. There's lots of nice mountain road locations, and they all seem to have full MX125 top end conversions and huge spluttery carbs fitted.

Not sure my KMX is going to go quite that quick when the new pipe and carb is on, but I'm hoping for a good few bhp more than std though, just to twat about around town and Country lanes on.

I do need a big sensible bike again at some point though, and am liking your GSXF 1200 project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the KMX will be a lively little thing with the pipe and carb on, i love fiddling with 2 strokes as appreciable gains can be had fairly easily.

The MX still has the late 28mm carb on it, so i think a 34 dellorto with some snappy carbon reeds would complement the Arrow nicely. It's probably making around 24hp now, so having it at about 28 would make a genuine difference on the old seat of the pants dyno.

Slipping a big bore kit on come rebuild time is my next aim. There is a nice video of a polini kitted bike making 32rwhp on the dyno on youtube, or roughly what a stock drz-400 supermoto makes out of the factory. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted then, but as you said 24bhp delivered all at once two stroke stylie is quite a fun addictive feeling that's for sure. The Arrow pipe you have seems to make those Aprilia's quite mental, it transformed Binge's Rotax monster too!

My bike mods are a never ending saga of mostly waiting for parts, but it goes round in circles too, as im having my pipe made from scratch, and a new ignition to suit the design of the pipe which will all need programing on the dyno, and the new carb jetting to suit.

Im sure I'll still be messing with it in the summer, but like you say a handful of extra bhp on a light little stroker is instantly felt and IMO worth a not of fiddling and spending too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:47 - 24 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you probably have sorted, but have you rejet the bike for auto lube, would hope they upjetted for the premix...

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the bike only ever made half a tank on premix Pads, I sorted the cables out and bled everything back through and still had half a tank. I had to dilute with fresh fuel to stop it oiling up.

It has covered around 600 miles now and has free'd up nicely. Very happy with how it is running and it's nearly impossible to get bored of the insanely peaky delivery.

A good warmup before going mad and I don't see why this shouldn't cover a good 4-5000 miles before needing a top end. Helps that it's always on a tank of not exactly inexpensive Fuchs/Silkolene 2t oil.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1