Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda are lying bastards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Honda are lying bastards Reply with quote

So last summer HondaUK and my dealership told me UK bikes are not affected by the crank recall in many other parts of the world, well they fucking are, I will be on to them and the finance company tomorrow, I will be rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose. A warning to anyone thinking of buying a CBR300R DONT!! I am so angry. Engine out and completely stripped for crank assembly.

Product recalls and updates

We'll make sure you have all the news you need about your Honda.
Online check - your motorcycle summary

VIN number: MLHNC51B4F*******

According to our records, there is some outstanding work to be carried out:

Cbr300r connecting rod bearing

Please contact your local authorised Honda dealer and arrange an appointment to have your motorcycle repaired free of charge.

Find your Honda dealer

Check another motorcycle

Please note: The results presented here are based on information supplied by our service network. If you have any questions or concerns, please check with your authorised Honda dealer.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it not fit for purpose? What's the fault?

It has an outstanding recall for a con rod bearing. I accept it's annoying, you would expect better from Honda, however, chances are your bike won't have an issue anyway. Despite this, Honda are offering to swap the part anyway free of charge.

Your bike IS fit for purpose, it works fine and it will continue to work fine after the recall.

(Apologies if this comes across abruptly it isn't meant to)

Last edited by Bozzy on 20:50 - 19 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you should be directing this rage at Honda rather than a forum?

talk to them, I'm sure they'll sort it. Also dealer in lying shocker. They probably didn't even know there was a recall, so probably weren't lying. Razz

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has a dodgy crank, how is it fit for purpose? shall I carry on and ride it and see if it seizes? over 3.5k for a bike that now needs the whole engine stripping. I will wait to see what the finance company says and citizens advice with the sales of goods act say first.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Surely you should be directing this rage at Honda rather than a forum?

talk to them, I'm sure they'll sort it. Also dealer in lying shocker. They probably didn't even know there was a recall, so probably weren't lying. Razz

I spoke to Honda UK as well last year.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
My bike has a dodgy crank, how is it fit for purpose? shall I carry on and ride it and see if it seizes? over 3.5k for a bike that now needs the whole engine stripping. I will wait to see what the finance company says and citizens advice with the sales of goods act say first.

It doesn't necessarily have a dodgy crank. They've found some that have, and rather than owners potentially having issues in the futurr, they've decided to change them anyway as a precaution.

My wife's Yaris is due an airbag recall. I'm not jumping up and down about it, recalls happen.

Last edited by Bozzy on 20:58 - 19 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
They probably didn't even know there was a recall, so probably weren't lying. Razz

Most probably not.

As a dealer they will be paid by Honda UK to do the work though so it is in their interests to do as much recall work as possible.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloysius Parker wrote:
Is this your way of getting getting shut of the 300 becsuse you know you have got bored of it and want to move on to bigger better things?

If so I like it but doubt it will work.

Lol no, sorry m8 but an airbag is not an engine.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:

Are you taking it apart? Are you paying for it? Are you having the internals of your engine examined for free after however many miles it's done?

And after all, if it goes bang afterwards, you can always blame the person who did the conrod replacement.

I've really go no idea what you are bitching about.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:05 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results of an airbag failing/going off unexpectedly are potentially as disastrous as an engine seizing, hence my anology.

The point I am making though, is that there isn't a fault. The recall is purely a precautionary measure to prevent a possible future fault! Even though there's probably a greater chance of being struck by lightening!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kind-of see OP's point. Like with the R1 clutch recall - long term, would you rather have an engine that was built by robots on a production line to (presumably) tight tolerances, or one that has been rebuilt by the apprentice mechanic at the dealership working on his first engine following the dealer equivalent of a Haynes manual?

I'd also agree that this isn't something you could reject a bike over, /unless/ you got it in writing that there would be no engine recall, and that this was of the essence in the forming your contract to buy the bike.

GPC
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why is it unfit for purpose?

Honda will fully repair and you will probably have a replacement machine whilst it is in for repair.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Mark65 wrote:

Are you taking it apart? Are you paying for it? Are you having the internals of your engine examined for free after however many miles it's done?

And after all, if it goes bang afterwards, you can always blame the person who did the conrod replacement.

I've really go no idea what you are bitching about.

Because a bike i bought new that now needs to have its engine pulled apart, am i being unfair with being angry, would you find it acceptable after paying so much?. Honda new about this problem before July last year then started issuing recalls in July 2016, I spoke to Honda UK head office last August and they assured me that no UK bikes are affected.

Last edited by Mark65 on 21:24 - 19 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:23 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPC wrote:

Honda will fully repair and you will probably have a replacement machine whilst it is in for repair.

And if you lucky it won't be a ladies 300....

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 21:24 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldda got the Ninja 300 Thumbs Up

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you take delivery of the bike?

If you bought it less than 30 days ago, you're entitled to reject the bike for a replacement or full refund, with no obligation to allow them any attempt at repair/remedial work (short term right to reject). Over 30 days, and up to 6 months , they have one attempt to repair it, and if that fails, you're entitled to reject for a refund minus a reasonable deduction for wear/depreciation. Either way, any action you take to simply reject isn't likely to meet a swift resolution, and will only go smoothly if the dealer co-operates.

Read about your rights.

I can understand why you wouldn't want your engine dismantled and rebuilt, and I would share your strong dissatisfaction if it were a highly tuned and complex engine in a high value bike (like the 2015 R1 and the gearbox recall). But that's not the case here. It's a fairly basic single cylinder engine in a budget bike. The work doesn't really carry a great deal of risk, either of future problems, or of depreciation. You might get somewhere, but it will probably be much more stressful and inconvenient to pursue a refund than it would be to have the work done (and maybe try to get something by way of compensation). If you actually want rid of the model because you don't like it, then you could use this grievance to achieve a good PX deal against something you do want.

Last edited by Alex A on 21:36 - 19 Jan 2017; edited 7 times in total

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I can kind-of see OP's point. Like with the R1 clutch recall - long term, would you rather have an engine that was built by robots on a production line to (presumably) tight tolerances, or one that has been rebuilt by the apprentice mechanic at the dealership working on his first engine following the dealer equivalent of a Haynes manual?

They aren't built by robots. They're built by people who will have had the same training by Honda that the techs have had.

It's annoying, I get that. One expects more from Honda. It's nothing more than that though, and certainly not grounds for rejecting the bike.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Honda are lying bastards Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
So last summer HondaUK and my dealership told me UK bikes are not affected by the crank recall in many other parts of the world, well they fucking are, I will be on to them and the finance company tomorrow, I will be rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose

Quote:
Consumer Rights Act 2015

Six months or more

After the first six months the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Also if you are hoping for help from the finance co under Section 75 CCA. You are going to have to prove breach of contract or misrepresentation.
Bit hard given that Honda have put in place a recall to resolve any potential issues.

So you have 2 options.
Let the dealer do what they need to do. They might just slot another engine in, that has been supplied to them on the recall from Honda.
Or spend time money and a lot of effort trying to reject the bike.....

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

They aren't built by robots. They're built by people who will have had the same training by Honda that the techs have had.

It's annoying, I get that. One expects more from Honda. It's nothing more than that though, and certainly not grounds for rejecting the bike.

I never said it was grounds for rejecting (it isn't, unless it was added to the contract), but would you rather have an engine built in the factory, by robots (or people who do it every day in production cells with the correct tools laid out and specified for each step) and with factory QC looking at their work, or by someone who does one maybe every few weeks (or this may be their first since they did the course however many months/years ago) and has to root around for the right tool and set up his torque wrench individually for each part (with the risk of error every bolt)?

Alternatively, the dealer /may/ have an absolute top-notch engine guy who can do it with more attention to detail than the production line. But I still know which I'd rather have, unless I knew the person doing the rebuild.

Last edited by bamt on 21:33 - 19 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over six months? Forget rejecting it. Have it repaired and carry on.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

I never said it was grounds for rejecting (it isn't, unless it was added to the contract), but would you rather have an engine built in the factory, by robots (or people who do it every day in production cells with the correct tools laid out and specified for each step) and with factory QC looking at their work, or by someone who does one maybe every few weeks (or this may be their first since they did the course however many months/years ago) and has to root around for the right tool and set up his torque wrench individually for each part (with the risk of error every bolt)?

Alternatively, the dealer /may/ have an absolute top-notch engine guy who can do it with more attention to detail than the production line. But I still know which I'd rather have, unless I knew the person doing the rebuild.

Of course, I'd rather have one that hasn't been taken apart and reassembled. In the OP's shoes I'd be dissappointed and would probably think twice about buying another, however I'd quit bawwing about it and let Honda UK get on with the work as and when I am notified. I most certainly wouldn't be embarrassing myself jumping up and down shouting sales of goods, not fit for purpose etc etc.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
bamt wrote:

My bike had a recall because some of the Triumph 3 cylinder 1215cc engines became rattly at the top end after 20000 miles so they recalled them all and fitted new cams and chains. My bike went to the Triumph factory at Hinkley to be done and I got it back a week later with the statement of work done, a full engine service and a valeted bike. The engine warranty an extra year from the date of the work. You can bet that it wasn't taken apart and rebuilt by robots.

I haven't got a problem with what Triumph did and I wouldn't have a problem with Honda as they have acknowledged there is a problem and they aren't going to leave you in the lurch. Let them repair/check/rebuild it before you go ranting at them. Thumbs Up

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's good service. Rather than being put off the brand, I would probably choose them again with service like that.

Mine had a rectifier recall before I became the owner. I'm pretty sure this was done at the dealer being a minor issue.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of things get a recall.
sometimes it happens worldwide.
sometimes you hear of a recall in asia and the uk says its not us.
then 6 months later you get a recall.
it happens.
let them check/fix your bike and move on with your life.
dont waste your time with impotent rage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4