Need to widen my horizons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurmo wrote:

I know exactly what you mean by the time all your mates get together argue over dates/routes/places to stay and get round to booking it life's much easier on your own and cheaper.

I think the world of my real friends , but I cant stand all the bickering and whinging that goes with trying to tour with mates.
Folk can be really selfish when it come to where to go and where to stay!

I`ve had a good mate turn down a trip because he didn`t like our pre-planned route and when I wouldn`t change it, he pulled out of the trip Evil or Very Mad
Funny thing was, the destinations were his idea in the first place?

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier I arrange a trip to France every year and the group I go with trust me to pick the places and the hotels and plan the routes.
I just send them the details to book the hotels. It's worked well so far.
I do ask for ideas but the reply is normally, we'll go with whatever you choose.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been lucky to have a biking wife where she has looked on while I have been here,there and many other places with my biking friends Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Back in 2003 I organised the Channel crossings and accomodation for 40 friends to go to the World Superbikes at Assen.It was not difficult to arrange and all but one ended up going,as he had a bad cold

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/img151_zps4p2hy1gb.jpg

Even in 2014,a friend and I rode around France.There were no disagreements,no arguing about destinations and at the end of our time together,we agreed that we should ride together again Cool

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/Picture010_zps50729017.jpg

Even when I rode abroad with Mrs.Fizzer last year,we agreed on everything.We rode,went where we wanted and stopped when it seemed appropriate

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/20160711_153107_zpsvio8n3ah.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tour with my wife we have a different system. My wife tells me where she would like to go and I work out the routes and book the hotels while she finds things to do and places to visit. This year we are going back to Spain.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Even in 2014,a friend and I rode around France.There were no disagreements,no arguing about destinations and at the end of our time together,we agreed that we should ride together again Cool

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/Picture010_zps50729017.jpg

You are a very lucky person.

All my mates are happy to go to the local bike meet and Brapppp their bikes in the crowd.
But f*ck! ask them to travel beyond the boundaries of their own county and you might as well ask them to go to the moon Confused

The irony is that I went on tour with my son-in-law and we had a great time.
He wants to tour again, but his missus wont let him.
His missus = my daughter Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:07 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ive always had to organise our tours to places, ive had to do lots, the IOM, rallies in Belgium, Spain, the S of France.
In 2004 I wanted to go to Casablanca, but no one wanted to go. I posted my plan on Visordown forum and asked if anyone fancied it, lots of people replied with the usual "I could if it was next year/month etc, one guy just said "Yeah, sound great". So we met up once, decided to go for it, and the next time I saw him was when we met up to go to the ferry. 11 days of living in each others pockets and 3330 miles later I got home after a fantastic trip.
We now do a regular trip to my place at Premery close to Nevers in France, there are about 12 -14 of us going this year of varying biking abilities and ages (22 to 60), its a week (Saturday to Saturday) starting on the 1/7/17. Biking, drinking beer, eating, drinking beer, having a good laugh, drinking beer, a bit of fishing for those who want to, more beer, and general enjoying yourself. You are quite welcome to tag along if you like, it wouldn't be the first time that someone we don't know from Adam has chucked in his lot with us on the way down to the Tunnel and had a good time for a week!

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:27 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.youtube.com/vi/hRL0Un7igjA/0.jpg

These trips take place every 1 or 2 years...The next one is being planned now

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the last 3 weeks of what has now become a year and a half trip (bought a CRF250L in Chile, am now in California, heading to Seattle/Vancouver tomorrow.

Had originally planned for a year after being bored with the 9 to 5 life and a long-term relationship ending, so no real responsibilities other than to myself at the time, saved away for a year and a bit and made it last until now.

Would recommend Thumbs Up

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Back in 2003 I organised the Channel crossings and accomodation for 40 friends to go to the World Superbikes at Assen

OP- A trip to Assen is a great first step into Euro touring on your own Thumbs Up I've done the BSB round there on my own. You meet people in the line for the ferry and in the bar on the boat. You can tag along with people on the ride to the circuit. Bikers on a trip like that tend to be pretty friendly and accommodating.

Overnight on the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, find somewhere to stay on Booking.com. The Dutch are great people and the atmosphere at Assen is awesome.

Just do it!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2