Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First time bike trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:05 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: First time bike trip Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and looking for some inspiration!

Me and a friend of mine have have been on the road for a couple of years now and want to go away for a long weekend on the bikes (I have a SV650 and my friend has a CBR500). Were looking at probably 4 days.

Being the first time either of us have done anything like this we're looking for some advice.

What do I want from the trip?
- Nice roads, as few motorways as possible!
- Good scenic views, mountains etc.. that's simply it!

Questions..
- Considering we are looking to spend roughly 3/4 days on the bikes, wheres best to go? Were considering Wales or Scotland for the views (we like seeing hills being from norfolk! Laughing ) however we would both like to go abroad too, France, Switzerland, Italy etc.. But i'm thinking 4 days isn't enough?

- Luggage, what to take? I have a 20ltr dry bag rucksack which I use for commuting and was looking at tail bag options (30ltr ish) what would you recommend?

Id appreciate any advice from those who have 'been there and done that'.

Thanks!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just 4 days and a first time I'd probably stick to UK. Scotlands well worth a visit and a a fair old ride for a nOOb.
Especially if the weather doesn't work out well for you.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forget the continent for a 4 day trip too, especially if mountain scenery is your thing. You'll use half that time just getting to the best places.
You haven't said where you'd be travelling from, which would help.

From south or central England, go to Wales. Snowdonia for the best scenery, around Beddgelert to Capel Curig and the A5 between Betws y Coed and Bethesda.
A470 from Betws to Ffestiniog.
A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd.
B4391 from Bala to Welshpool.

Central Wales is great for roads: Around Llandrindod Wells, Rhayader, Newtown, and out west to Aberystwyth (especially A44, and A483 from Crossgates to Newtown).
Don't forget to explore some of the B roads here too: B4518 from Rhayader to Llanidloes, then on up past Llyn Clywedog; turn off for Dylife and on to Machynlleth.

Elan Valley from Rhayader and out on the mountain road to Aberystwyth.
B4358 from Beulah to Newbridge-on-Wye is a cracking little rollercoaster.

Many others too, but you should be able to build something around that.

As also suggested, Scotland is great depending on where you're travelling from, and of course, what weather you get, but the distances are greater so you'd need to limit your area of exploration a bit more over 4 days, but you can still see a lot and ride some fabulous roads.

Don't forget the Lake District, unsurpassed in scenery concentrated in such a small area; 4 days and you can see just about all of it, but avoid the height of summer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 14:47 - 26 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies chaps!

We're traveling from Norfolk, right on the east coast.

Wales is top of our list at the moment as we can get there in a relatively short time, plus we can pass through the peak district on the way there or back.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

James132 wrote:

Wales is top of our list at the moment as we can get there in a relatively short time

Just forget everywhere else then. You don't get better roads anywhere else in the UK.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:07 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look online at the roads you have mentioned. Thumbs Up

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland you would really want to include:

Glencoe - Isle of Skye - Applecross - Gairloch - Ullapool - Kylesku - Durness - John O Groats (just to say you have)

https://tinyurl.com/scotlandgoogs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is a horrible trip from as far south as Norfolk. I get incredibly bored just taking the M74 from Carlisle to get through and past Glasgow. Great roads and scenery past there, but what a chore to get there and back from down south! And I'm still of the opinion that Welsh roads are better.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i would say so as well a long trip just to get to the good bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: First time bike trip Reply with quote

James132 wrote:
Hi Everyone, new to the forum and looking for some inspiration! blah blah blah first trip away stuff

I would agree with Mr Chicken on this one.
I`d vote for the Welsh Hills as a first venture.

I would mix up my first trip between camping and B&B`s .
If your first trip was all camping and it is cold and wet, that will put you off for life.
At least if you have a couple of nights in a B&B, you`ll be able to dry out and get warm.

Do a search on here and have a look at what people have said about their previous escapades Thumbs Up

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get to the Ardennes in a day.

Lovely views, great roads, top scram and decent booze.

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:52 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, we have decided on Wales, and we have also decided we will be going for B+B for the 3 nights to save on the amount of kit we will need to take.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have waterproofs and check that your boots are also waterproof. Pack lightly, ditch half of what you think you might need. Go to Boots for mini deoderants/toothpaste/shower gel. One of you needs to remember a puncture repair kit.

Have fun!

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Make sure you have waterproofs and check that your boots are also waterproof. Pack lightly, ditch half of what you think you might need. Go to Boots for mini deoderants/toothpaste/shower gel. One of you needs to remember a puncture repair kit.

Have fun!

A puncture repair kit sounds like a good shout and something I'd have never thought of.

Any kit in particular you would recommend?

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:14 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suncream. That little exposed patch of skin on the back of your neck will burn easily especially when you're sitting on the motorway heading east for a day and the sun is directly behind you.

When you've done Wales as your first trip I highly recommend heading onto the continent and into the Ardennes, through Belgium and Luxembourg and onto the Moselle valley, then back via the nurburgring and spa, the roads over there are miles better than most in the UK, they're empty and the scenery ain't too bad either!!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads around the 'Ring are great fun with little or no traffic.A friend and I rode that way on the way back from a friends wedding in Tuscanny some eleven years ago Dance!

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/BikesBikesBikes2155.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd forget the continent for a 4 day trip too, especially if mountain scenery is your thing. You'll use half that time just getting to the best places.
You haven't said where you'd be travelling from, which would help.

From south or central England, go to Wales. Snowdonia for the best scenery, around Beddgelert to Capel Curig and the A5 between Betws y Coed and Bethesda.
A470 from Betws to Ffestiniog.
A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd.
B4391 from Bala to Welshpool.

This. I'm a local, and I still have to prod myself to venture elsewhere. Roads are fantastic, as are the views. There's a good reason we are arguably on the top spot for concentration of stellar roads in the UK.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

James132 wrote:

A puncture repair kit sounds like a good shout and something I'd have never thought of.

Ive got a good one but I cant remember the name of it! It comes in a black zip up pouch thing and has plugs and little air cannisters in. I will look up the name when I get back home. Got mine from m&p for about £25 I think. Packs away quite small too.

EDIT - Pocket Tyre Plugger. But anything is better than the slime stuff that some people rave about. Many tyre shops won't touch a wheel with slime used as it takes too long to clean out for a basic repair.

Last edited by waffles on 21:11 - 29 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
James132 wrote:

Ive got a good one but I cant remember the name of it! It comes in a black zip up pouch thing and has plugs and little air cannisters in. I will look up the name when I get back home. Got mine from m&p for about £25 I think. Packs away quite small too.

No need to spend that much, this is the one I have, £10. Not had to use it yet:

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pg-rtm04-c14-wemoto/

Fizzer Thou wrote:
The roads around the 'Ring are great fun with little or no traffic.A friend and I rode that way on the way back from a friends wedding in Tuscanny some eleven years ago Dance!

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/BikesBikesBikes2155.jpg

Indeed they are.

My trip was 1200 miles over 5 days (one day being an extra day in Cochem to explore the local roads).

Little video of my trip, you can see just how empty the roads are.
https://youtu.be/HUeWnhPrpJI

James132
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:01 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, were booked into a B&B for 3 nights in July in Betws Y Coed (somewhere I have stayed before).

I purchased a tail bag last week, a Givi EA107B 35ltr, seems good quality and its plenty big enough for what I need. Hope to get the bike out over the next week or two to try it out.

Cant wait now!

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy it!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

James132 wrote:

I purchased a tail bag last week, a Givi EA107B 35ltr, seems good quality and its plenty big enough for what I need. Hope to get the bike out over the next week or two to try it out.!

Not that I am a seasoned tourer by any means.
All my tours have been short and in the U.K.
However one of the best things I have done to make my trips better is to load up my luggage and take it out a few time before my actual tour.
Then I have found out if it works properly or fails before the tour begins.
Nothing worse than have all your luggage/pants spread out all over the road Shocked hundreds of miles from home.

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a roll top dry bag by Lomo which was cheap and has been rugged and very reliable in shitty shitty rain. I'm sure your givi will give you excellent service too, but if you need other waterproof luggage in the future I'd recommend giving Lomo a look as for the money it's brill. Also, I have a backpack by them which is one of the waterproof rolltop ones. Sometimes I wear it, other times just bungee it to the tail.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:24 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do the A470/A496 to Porthadoc, and basically all the roads around Blenau Ffestiniog.

You WILL need a proper sized number plate and a quiet or standard exhaust. The police are very anti-everything. If you find a road you want to have a blast on, ride it slowly first keeping an eye out for Dibble and cameras, then go back straight away and do it at speed if its clear. You need to be very aware of the vociferous and sneaky nature of the Police in North Wales.
There is one road which has a long straight downhill section for about a mile, the police sit in the drive of a couple of houses near the bottom and get you with speed guns, you could get some serious speed up down there even on a 250RS, id love to know how many people have been banned on that hill.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But that is a horrible trip from as far south as Norfolk. I get incredibly bored just taking the M74 from Carlisle to get through and past Glasgow. Great roads and scenery past there, but what a chore to get there and back from down south! And I'm still of the opinion that Welsh roads are better.

Why tear up the M74? The A7 or the B7076 (old A74) are nearly as quick and a lot more scenic. There are other scenic routes through Dunfries & Galloway and the Cheviots too e.g. The Devils Beeftub from Moffat to Edinburgh.

Not forgetting that there's also the North Yorkshire Moors, Yorkshire Dales, North Pennines, Northumbria and the Lake District before you even get to the border.

I do like Wales and it'd be good for a four day trip, but there's a helluva lot more to see north of the M62 Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2