Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Miles and Miles away

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:14 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Miles and Miles away Reply with quote

That's where I have been this weekend with some guys from a bike club I know.

Set-off from Cumbria on Friday on the new (old) GPZ500s (picked up the previous night) and drove up to a campsite near Dalwhinnie, more to get the run started so we were on interesting roads for the rest of the weekend. Cut up the A82 to Inverness which is a fast but comparativley busy road (for the Highlands, lots of tourists), had to stop en-route to get one of the guys exhaust welded back on when it split through the header pipe.

From Inverness we went back over to Ullapool along the A835, a high speed road, lots of sweepers and no corners that could catch you out by tightening suddenly. Really started to get the hang of the GPZ again, I had one previously but this one has a 16" front wheel which I was wary of, no need, BT45 tyres stuck it to the road like glue.

At Ullapool we stopped for fuel and there was a great air of excitement in the group anticipating the next stage of the run up to Durness on the northen coast of Scotland. The scenery was turning into the trditional hills, moor and areas of damp scree reflecting in the sunshine, Scotland showing us its best with everything green and the road dry under a blue sky. The road to Durness takes in the A837, A894 and the A838 and is 67 miles long.

With the possible exception of the Applecross road, this is THE BEST biking road in the country, there is virtually no traffic on it, the road surface is one piece of perfectly smooth, level tarmac and in an excellent state of repair. Every corner does exactly what it says on the tin as you go into it, cambered perfectly and there is nothing but corners. The lack of trees and fencing means the view of the road ahead is complete, you can see for miles and there is not a car on it so the whole width of the is there to play with.

The lead bikes in the group were a GSXR1100 with Harris everything and a piped up R1 streetfighter. Didn't see the Harris again until Durness (he had his tent half up by the time I got there), landed up sticking with an FZR750, learned a lot because the guy has a lot more experience than me. My riding has improved markedly from trying to keep him in sight on a much slower bike.

Camped at Durness and had a coal fire down on the beach, lots of beer. Next morning headed back along the road again, a bit slower this time due to occasional showers but nothing that needed waterproofs. We then went down the west coast to a spot near Sheil Bridge where we had a brilliant campfire in a wooded area near an iron age Broch (which I slept in) before cutting accross to Sterling for the boring whang down the motorway back to Cumbria. Saw 130 on the clocks of the fully laden GPZ500s at one point which ain't bad for a 14 year old bike I payed under a grand for. The front tyre is now totally knackered, most of the tread round the edges has worn smooth and there is some serious melting action going on in what is left of the grooves, a 16" wheel works the front end really hard!

850 miles of flat-out thrashing in total, I think my purchase was a good one, not a drop of oil burned.

Thoroughly good time was had which is why the post is so long, I am still totally pumped from going along that Durness road at silly mph, never had a GPZ so far over and didn't drop out of the power all the way except to stop and take some piccys. There was one point where there is a bridge over a ravine about 300yds long and it has a 90mph sweeper actually on the bridge. Totally nailed it round, huge grin, cackling to oneself inside helmet etc. Very Happy

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 00:23 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Stinky!!! Thumbs Up Karma Thumbs Up

You sound like you had a blast. I used to live in Ullapool and the roads around there are just fantastic, I can't wait until I have a bigger bike to go and explore them!
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick But only green with envy.....

Next year we WILL do some touring in Scotland!

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 10:23 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland is one of those places that you can't avoid visiting and I won't, even though I live about 500 miles from the border. Rolling Eyes Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:35 - 31 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: Miles and Miles away Reply with quote

stinkywheely wrote:
...The road to Durness takes in the A837, A894 and the A838 and is 67 miles long.

With the possible exception of the Applecross road, this is THE BEST biking road in the country, there is virtually no traffic on it, the road surface is one piece of perfectly smooth, level tarmac and in an excellent state of repair. Every corner does exactly what it says on the tin as you go into it, cambered perfectly and there is nothing but corners. The lack of trees and fencing means the view of the road ahead is complete, you can see for miles and there is not a car on it so the whole width of the is there to play with.... Very Happy

Have to agree Very Happy Did that bit when went around the coast of Scotland a bit back. Excellent roads the further you go north, don't stay in the tourist/coach party areas! That said some of the single track stuff can be pretty isolated, you don't want to think how long the AA will take to reach you Shocked Laughing

Glad you had a good time. Hard not to with the roads and the bike Wink Will be around Aviemore in September and already planning to get to the cafe at the Bridge of Brown Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1