Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear, What do I need to have?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:56 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Gear, What do I need to have? Reply with quote

Right absolutely new to this.
saved up for a few years to do my bike licence, CBT Booked the DAS will be booked on the day of the CBT.

The school supply the gear but by that they mean helmet, gloves and a high vis vest.
Obviously im going to have to buy it myself for use in the long term but also to make the lessons a bit more comfortable as its the middle of winter. I aim to do this over the course of the next 4-6 weeks.

The eventual aim is to do a european solo tour late on in the summer so im trying to weigh up what im going to need and what it will cost me.

Money isnt tight as such but I dont want to blow it when I dont need to,
Im guessing Im going to need 2 sets of everything, one set fully waterproof and one set of summer gear.

Im not adverse to buying some things secondhand on ebay, on the otherhand I dont mind paying decent money for stuff. One thing I do want however is value for money and to spend the money in the correct areas.

Im favouring 2 piece textiles to go with the touring look (for want of a better word) as I will not be buying a superbike. but im going to leave bike choice till later on down the road, its likely to be a mid weight adventure bike or a basic naked learner type 600.

I appreciate any advice or views that people have from starting out from absolutely nothing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way am I putting my head in shared helmet, nor the gloves for that matter.

Go to a big bike clothing outlet. Try on stuff.
Buy stuff that goretex on it. Buy a helmet that comes with a pinlock.
Buy a cheap all in 1 waterproof for when that 100% waterproof goretex fails.
Buy some baselayers.

For me, I like a leather jacket and depending on the riding I'm doing, the distances, the weather will depend if I choose the Kevlar jeans or the leather trousers.

You may prefer the shorter length boot I prefer the longer length boot etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought all my kit from ebay in various states of repair.
I've bought my lids new and my boots new but am happy for second hand everything else. I've had some great
bargains, a couple of disappointments but all in all I'm well up on what I would have spent on equivalent new gear.
It also makes it disposable as far as I'm concerned should I have a spill, not sure I'd feel that way about a
Alpinestars kangaroo one piece or similar.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 27 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lids and gloves buy new but make sure fit is good for lid

Don't worry about newest paint scene on lid or most expensive biking may not be for you so don't over spend

Jacket, trousers and boots for commuting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:08 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Gear, What do I need to have? Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Im favouring 2 piece textiles

I'd agree with that as a default choice. It's my go-to choice for much of the year for commuting.

When it warms up I go to kevlar jeans and either textile or leather jacket, plus waterproofs as necessary.

Any trips for the sake of it, I pull on the leather trousers. They're too much of a faff for commuting though, IMHO.

RST gear is decent enough budget stuff. My ~£100 "Enduro" jacket is now pushing 7 years old and is still pretty water resistant, although it's not fully water proof.

Gloves, well, a very personal decision. I have a lightweight unlined pair that I wear in the dry, or for the ~4 months of the year when I'm muffed up (along with heated grips). Wet-and-warm, a lightweight pair of Gore-Tex lined gloves. I'd forget about "winter" gloves - muffs do a far better job for much less money.

Boots, I wear Gore-Tex lined army surplus boots pretty much year round. £30 - £40, fully waterproof, 5+ years of daily use, you won't beat that with any bike boots. Horrifically though, it appears that the proper black ones have recently been withdrawn in favour of brown. Pale

As above, new lid, probably new gloves. Everything else you can gamble on used.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Gear, What do I need to have? Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Im not adverse to buying some things secondhand on ebay, on the otherhand I dont mind paying decent money for stuff. One thing I do want however is value for money and to spend the money in the correct areas.

I think every area is correct when it comes to gear, just know that you're going to have to replace whatever you buy sooner or later.
I went with new but not too expensive textiles before my CBT and although the trousers gave up the ghost after a few years, the jacket is still alive. It could do with reproofing though.
Even my original boots are still good enough for the short commute.
Spend whatever money it takes on a lid that properly fits your head. I tried a lot on and was pretty gutted that some of the cheaper brands weren't quite right for me tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:04 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for Aldi and Lidl's motorcycle gear. I think they usually appear around March.
They're not much to look at, but score highly in abrasion tests and such like, at bloody cheap prices.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:03 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on that point, is there anywhere you can find safety info on a garment like you can for helmets (i.e SHARP testing) ???

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:38 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put waterproofs over the top of my bike gear if it's wet.

As Roger says, it's about layers. You want a thermal layer, a protective layer and a waterproof layer.

Arguably textiles will do all of these layers in "one hit" and so are a reasonable option for someone starting out. However, tell that to yourself touring Europe in late summer when it's 30 degrees in the shade.

I have a good leather jacket and leather jeans. In the summer I'll often wear a pair of kevelar cargo trousers rather than the leather jeans unless I'm going hooning.

I have them big enough to wear thermals underneath for winter, just a base layer in the summer.

I've always worm army boots. Used to be combat highs, then assault boots, most recently altberg defenders. Thick socks in winter. Good, truly waterproof and reasonably comfortable waterproof socks are now available.

Thin summer gloves, thicker, waterproof winter gloves . Genuinely waterproof gloves are something of a Holy Grail and usually require £££. Just so you know, the words "waterproof" when applied to gloves, even if written on them, is usually just something to distract your attention from your wet hands rather than the commonly accepted definition.

I wear a pair of army issue goretex trousers and a neoprene farmers smock over my leathers if it's wet.

I have a modular helmet with a removable chinbar which I bought mail order from Germany because I value convenience and comfort over percieved safety.

In terms of a helmet, spending more doesn't get you a safer helmet. A good fit is the most important factor here.

What many people start with is a helmet, some gloves, some boots and a textile jacket. They will often simply wear a pair of reasonably heavy duty trousers with waterproofs to put over them. I personally hate actual denim jeans, they suck the heat out of you when wet and take ages to dry out again.

Don't spend a fortune. You'll decide what suits you best as time goes on.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the need to go overboard. I've been using the same helmet, gloves, textile 2pc auit as boots for three years, year round commuting with a waterproof oversuit for when it's real bad. Crashed in it too and it's still fine.

Helmet - worth getting a decent one although price ≠ safety. More money brings more features and better sound proofing. A flip down sun visor is nice to have as is pin lock..

Gloves - waterproof and good protection is what I look for. Two pairs for summer and winter would be nice but is not essential. I use three season gloves year round with muffs added for winter.

Boots - I hate wet/cold feet so I always buy quality boots. TCX Infinity goretex; probably the best piece of kit I own. Totally waterproof and always warm.

Suit - I've been using a cheap Rev It suit for three years. Not the most waterproof anymore but the over suit sorts that problem. Protected me in my off, keeps me warm and has done the job. Getting worn out now though so I'm replacing with an RST Paragon set most likely. Goretex would be lovely but it's very pricey and im looking to buy a house this year so don't want to splurge.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:24 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Gear, What do I need to have? Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Gear, What do I need to have?

As long as you don't crash... not a lot....Sorry to be flippant, BUT...

Much to many's annoyance, my usual 'riding' gear, is, and has been for at least the last decade, little more than my every-day out-door wear... and a hat.

It's something of a clash of cultures, but the modern consumer vogue for 'Having' to have all the right stuff to go with your new thing, is NOT actually all that helpful to very many people, other than them selling stuff, which, when it comes to bikes, is made even easier by the 'fear' of crashing, and where the notion, and t IS just a notion that 'proper' motorcycle apparel 'must' (somehow?!) offer SO much more crash protection, and more still, all that 'crash protection, must make you safe...

Sorry but BOLLOX.. its NOT CRASHING that makes you safe!!!
Does more than any damn protective apparel to save hurt too!
Ponder that point.

Blunt answer to your question, 'what gear do I need?' is succinctly, a crash helmet and a pair of boxers... to stop you being arrested, cos the law says you have to cover danglie bits and head, at least when you ride a motorbike...

Anything else, is strictly 'optional'.. and pretty much down to your own discretion.. and common sense........ ponder that too...

Common sense, suggests when you go out-doors, you dress for the weather... that does NOT change when you get on a motorbike.

If it's cold, wrap up warm. If its raining, put on an anorak! If you wouldn't wear flip-flops or slippers to walk to the shop, probably good idea not to wear them on a motorbike, THIS sort of thing, is common sense and shouldn't need to be explained or elaborated on very much, and if you cant apply it, our recommendations or suggestions are likely even more redundant anyway.

Summer vs Winter... my riding apparel doesn't change much if any at all... I live in Britain, its usually always raining! My 'basic' riding outfit is, as said, my usual outdoor cloths, jeans, jumper and a pair of boots... to which I add a BLJ (Black-Leather-Jacket), that I'd probably put on if I left the bike behind, actually! And then, depending on cold/wet, a water-proof over-suit. As it IS pretty cold at the moment, I reach for the 'lined' water-proof over trousers rather than the unlined ones, and I 'may' reach for the thicker gloves instead of the single skin ones...

BUT the point is, IF you dress sensibly for the street, you need not make a big deal about dressing for the bike. And common sense, will take you a lot further than the credit card.. remember 'Safety' comes from not crashing, not sticking your head in a fancy plastic bucket and thinking you have the matter covered!

But, here and now? You don't eve have a licence... and you are planning a long euro tour, worse, solo! Carts and horses mate, carts and horses!

I think that your enthusiasm and imagination is suggesting ambitions that are likely to be rather more difficult and or painful in the reality, and setting a degree of 'eagerness' likely to see you rush into trouble all too fast.

Rushing be quick way to hurt and harm when it comes to bikes... slow down, take your time, enjoy the new-ness and the learning, dont rush it away! And DONT buy more than you need, and let the credit card and the salesmen, exploit this new enthusasm to relieve you of large chunks of your hard earned for stuff you probably dont really 'need' or are slightly less useful to you than they let you believe.

Remember, you stay safe from NOT crashing! tick to the job at hand, do the training, get the learning, THAT is what will do most, right now, to keep you safe!

As to winter/summer riding outfits, and trying to plan your wardrobe now, in the middle of winter, before you even have a licence, let alone any riding experience, sorry that is enough of an anathema to me on ts own.

Idea of two weeks, on my own, in the saddle, on the wrong side of the road? Yeah! with 40 years of saddle experience and muscle memory and refined biker-instinct, my fatigue limit is about four five hours in the saddle, in a day... even breaking the journey, stopping every hour or so for a comfort break, after about the third stop, enthusiasm to get back on the bike for more is starting to pall a little... doing that without company to encourage me to continue, doing that on the wrong side of the road, dodging drunken Renault 5 drivers, and added concentration so required, is rather dauting, without those miles being my early-learning in the saddle!

NOT saying it cant be done; BUT, it will be a steep learning curve, and the romance you imagine will probably come, if at all, in VERY small doses, separated by very large periods of discomfort if not shear misery!

Meanwhile.. you have a lot to do before that is even a possibility.. like learn to ride a motorbike, more pass a motorbike test.. THAT should be your priority here and now, NOT what this years must be seen in apparel might be!

Curb the enthusiasm a little; don't rush, don't buy more than you have to, take it one step at a time. Summer is way off. Worry about summer gear when (if/or!) summer comes! Here and now, worry JUST about learning to ride, and maybe, a little, about getting the licence in your pocket.

You don't 'need' a damn thing right now, but some common sense and some more sensible 'out-door' wear.. you might LIKE to buy your own crash-hat and gloves for the course, but as said, dont buy more than you need, choose them for the conditions of the moment just for the course.. THAT is as much of the road you are going down you can see to be clear.. don't ride road you haven't got to yet... you might never reach it! And likely it looks a lot different when you get to it, than you think, now, with glimpses from afar and a lot of imagination, working in over time, on it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear most of the gear, most of the time.

Going to a running meeting on Tuesday on the motorbike, so it's tracksuit and boots, with running shoes in the top box. Laughing

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:46 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start you off I would buy

biker jeans for short journeys/commutes
Waterproof/windproof over trousers to go with above
2 Piece textiles with removable inner for warmer days
Big gauntlet gloves as waterproof as possible
Sealskinz liner gloves to wear inside the above gloves (keep you dry when above fails)
short cooler gloves for summer
Boots your personal choice
Helmet with pinlock preferably not black or a dark colour

Buy something in colours you like obviously but try and get something that's easily seen.... car drivers are mostly blind if you wear all black they will try and kill you!!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 04 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a helmet with a pinlock, preferably a 'max' style one. Quite simply the best kind of anti-fog thing out there. Beyond that it needs to fit. Drop-down sunvisor is easier than changing visors with the weather and a nice bonus. Shark Skwals have dodgy visors so avoid.

Goretex gloves, with a cuff you can get inside your textiles, otherwise water runs down inside. Wet hands is miserable as all hell so don't skimp. Make sure you can make a fist without the finger ends pinching.

Boots go inside your trousers if it's raining. Check the sole is crushproof by lying the boot on its side and standing on the edge of the sole. If the sole deforms, then a dropped bike is gonna really hurt. I like altberg's motorcycle boots as I can drop a bike on them and not even get a bruise, but pricey. Lots of inexpensive waterproof CE rated boots in the big gear barns. They might not last long, but my altbergs are in need of some repair after 4 (high mile) years.

Two-piece textiles with zip-out thermal liners, some kind of not-quite-goretex and some vents will do any day of the year ok. Most have armour at knees, hips, shoulders, elbow and back. Do check it is real armour and not packing material. Smooth sporty looking kit sheds wind better than pocket-ridden adventure kit, but short jackets work better zipped to trousers or they can ride up like a tube top, so jacket and trousers from the same brand might be a win. RST kit is not particularly pricey and appears to work well for me. It's sized a bit small though, I'm at least one if not two sizes up from the last suit I bought.

If it's a proper deluge then a one or two piece oversuit will save the day, make sure you can get into it with your kit on. One piece is trickier but is less likey to dump a gallon of water on your crotch. The only time I have been soaked through is when I hit foot-peg deep standing water too fast and it got forced up the inside of my jacket.

Cheap baselayers from sports direct or aldi aimed at skiers, cyclists or runners will make cold days more bareable. merino wool is better but pricey even if you snag aldi kit (£20each).

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:58 - 04 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your feet get soaked every time it rains? No, because shoe leather is treated to resist water. You can buy a can of some stuff to spray on a leather jacket or trousers to make it water resistant too. You can buy that spray at the shoe shop.

Don't go mad with gear because the variables in street riding accidents are too numerous to make it really useful. What protects you is: observation; anticipation; looking ahead; observation; following riding advice. When your instructor mentions minor details like 'look where you want to go, not where you fear to go' you'd better listen.

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
What protects you includes: observation, anticipation, looking ahead, observation, following riding advice and protective clothing.

FTFY

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of long spiel above, I don't have much to add so I'll keep it short:

Arrow Goretex.
Arrow Textiles that zip all the way around the middle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

Sure, I zipped mine together once, everyone should try it. Once.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Gear, What do I need to have? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Curb the enthusiasm a little; don't rush, don't buy more than you have to, take it one step at a time. Summer is way off. Worry about summer gear when (if/or!) summer comes! Here and now, worry JUST about learning to ride, and maybe, a little, about getting the licence in your pocket.

Tef, most of your post is fucking pointless but I agree with this bit, so rated Thumbs Up just for this.

OP, you don't need to rush out and buy a complete biking outfit straight away. Plus, you'll often find full textiles cheaper in summer than in the winter.

What's your normal UK riding going to be? Popping to the shops? Longer commuting?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
c_dug wrote:

Sure, I zipped mine together once, everyone should try it. Once.

Embarassed I must be doing it wrong. I zip up every ride.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got me a whole bunch of stuff, but my goto winter garb consists of a Spada jacket and over trousers, with some nice hefty TCX boots.
Nothing fancy or pricey, just some good hard wearing and warm stuff.

Helmets though are a different matter, I like Arai and Arai like me, but just get something that's nice and tight all round.

Winter gloves are a gimmick, they're all cold. Heated is the only way you will keep warm hands. Expect to pay stupid money.

When the summer comes, open them vents on the jacket, get some nice kevlar jeans and some cool military style boots and you'll look like a biker that's been around for aeons.

Oh and buy some summer gloves.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Winter gloves are a gimmick, they're all cold. Heated is the only way you will keep warm hands. Expect to pay stupid money.

And here was me thinking that my hands were warm this morning in a pair of £10 unlined summer gloves, £9.50 muffs and £2.50 heated grip covers, at -4 Centons.

I'm sorry to hear that I was mistaken. Sad

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Embarassed I must be doing it wrong. I zip up every ride.

Same. When it's cold, not having a draught up your back is nice and if you do fall off, not having the jacket ride immediately up your back might also be good.

Depends if you can reach the zip without dislocating 3 of your vertebrae Very Happy

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And here was me thinking that my hands were warm this morning in a pair of £10 unlined summer gloves, £9.50 muffs and £2.50 heated grip covers, at -4 Centons.

I'm sorry to hear that I was mistaken. Sad

I believe that's due to hypothermia

Hypothermia Symptoms wrote:

Shivering, although as hypothermia worsens, shivering stops.
Clumsiness or lack of coordination.
Slurred speech or mumbling.
Confusion and poor decision-making.
Drowsiness or very low energy.

ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1