Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Member and SV650 owner

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yorkshire Stig
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:16 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: New Member and SV650 owner Reply with quote

Good morning all, hope you are all well. New member and new biker here, 35yr old, from West Yorkshire. Just bought myself a 2003 Sv650s. Was originally looking for a bandit 600 for my first "big" bike but this SV came about at the right time and for a very good price, couldn't refuse really. I wasn't really looking at any "s" models, ideally want something naked, but I'm sure I will either grow to love the S or whip it all off and start making my own street fighter / naked version.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy there. Reasonable enough choice, and you'll find a lot of resources for raising the bars if you can't get on with them. Easiest bodge looks to be a set of salvage FJ1200 risers which will add a bit of height.

andywa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning mate. I'm just down the road in Selby. Good choice on 1st bike I reckon. I'm new to it all as well.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over near mkt weighton as well. Not too far from Squires and Seaways - mile after mile of great roads out this way, but a lot of them are really shitty at the moment.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

andywa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:19 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Saways? Is it another Squires type plac?

Yorkshire Stig
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:30 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for welcome lads, dare say it won't be long before a trip to squires is on the cards. Gotta love the word "bodge" 😂

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andywa wrote:
Where's Saways? Is it another Squires type plac?

Seaways is in Fridaythorpe - a village up on the wolds, follow the main road up out of Stamford Bridge, up Garrowby Hill and just stay on it for several miles. Yes it's like Squires but not as big or as popular and doesn't open in the evenings. But there are almost always bikes there in the day and in summer it does get rammed.

If you're going from Squires I probably wouldn't necessarily go via Stamford Bridge though - more like Cawood, Escrick, Wheldrake, Elvington, Sutton on Derwent, then maybe to Pocklington and from there up out towards Millington but take the quarry road. Or maybe go out via Kilnwick Percy and go via Warter and on to Wetwang. But all those roads are good imo. I also like turning left in Sherburn by the church, going down that Lotherton Hall lane, then right for Towton, then right off the main road heading towards Tadcaster but then taking another right and doing all those wiggly lanes on the way to Ulleskelf and getting to Cawood that way.

Those kinds of routes will be about 80-100 miles round trip from Squires. Some ace riding there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

mrtisme
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:27 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fella I'm in Leeds and really new to this 49 and started on a DAS course. Any insider info on Mod 1 at Wakefield or doing mod 2 in Horsforth would be cool.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:50 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtisme wrote:
Hi fella I'm in Leeds and really new to this 49 and started on a DAS course. Any insider info on Mod 1 at Wakefield or doing mod 2 in Horsforth would be cool.

Passed my Mod 1 over at Wakefield just over a week ago. Quite a big test site which is dead flat and nowhere near as cramped as where I've been doing my training at Knaresborough. Don't rush things, take a deep breath before each part, looking where you want to go and the bike will follow. There is plenty room for the high speed manoeuvres, I ended up going through the speed trap at various speeds all well over the 32 ! Rolling Eyes

Best of luck Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1