Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil Leak - KTM 990

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Oil Leak - KTM 990 Reply with quote

Doh, thought I'd give the KTM a bit of a run up the road and back but opened the garage to find an unwelcome puddle under the side stand:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/493/32571639565_54c1d74101_b.jpg

Looks to be coming from the gear lever area.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/384/32571634965_4612c5d898_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/270/32571636525_ef1d9e4a22_b.jpg

Started her up and got lots of oil smoke - as you can see above, the exhaust is coated in oil.

Thought at first it might have been classic clutch slave failure but that's an Oberon item already (hadn't even noticed that) and it appears it's coming from a bit further back than that.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean it all up and check it tomorrow would be the best thing to do. Should give you a better idea.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've given it a clean up with some paraffin and gig the majority of it off. Difficult to see though, but we'll see whether there's an obvious source of it tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:29 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious culprit just there is the seal for the main shaft.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove your front sprocket cover. If you have the patience, also the front sprocket.

My loan 990 was weeping from the seal behind there.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Agree with that, also is there a oil pressure switch nearby?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the oil pressure switch innit? Seemed to get mentioned frequently when I looked them up. Cheap and easy to fix (apparently).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Agree with that, also is there a oil pressure switch nearby?

Looks like that could be a winner. I'll go out and have a butchers and see if any more has seeped out overnight but it's definitely in the right area.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, maybe not the oil pressure switch but the gear position switch. This looks about bang on:
https://www.jumph4x.net/post/85791972182/ktm-990-smr-oil-leak-fix

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countershaft seal deffo worth a check. Common problem on Keep Taking Money's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Common problem on Keep Taking Money's.

Update.

Cleaned it up a bit, took the cover off and cleaned up there too - it does look like it's coming from behind the gear lever so I'm hoping it's a cheap and easy fix as per the link below.

However, since the bike has full KTM history at the moment I've decided to go a bit mental, and 'invest' in KTM doing a full service and fixing this oil leak.

Prizes of absolutely nothing will be awarded for the person who most closely guesses the cost of the entire operation. I'm optimistic it'll be excellent value for money, of course Laughing.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Update.

Cleaned it up a bit, took the cover off and cleaned up there too - it does look like it's coming from behind the gear lever so I'm hoping it's a cheap and easy fix as per the link below.

However, since the bike has full KTM history at the moment I've decided to go a bit mental, and 'invest' in KTM doing a full service and fixing this oil leak.

Prizes of absolutely nothing will be awarded for the person who most closely guesses the cost of the entire operation. I'm optimistic it'll be excellent value for money, of course Laughing.

£540?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's as little as that, I'd think I've gotten away lightly and will LITERALLY (like TOTES ACTUALLY FOR REAL YEAH) buy myself an overpriced MSX with the change.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full service and gear shaft seal?

£280

Cheap at half the price Wink

Always have a 'Plan B'

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Full service and gear shaft seal?

£280

Cheap at half the price Wink

If it's that I'll buy two MSX'X'x'Sx's.

I have a feeling I'm going to get absolutely bummed - but then I don't really trust dealers.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, I'd DIY, no one will know but you... the history will no doubt have people replacing a wheel bearing here and there with no notes. A seal in minor as fudge.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Common problem on Keep Taking Money's.

Update.

£408.36

Jimmyktm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:12 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly this one.

If that area is oily then it's certain.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmyktm wrote:
Possibly this one.

If that area is oily then it's certain.

Yup, had already found that and it does appear that's the area. We'll see, I guess.

Paddy - I would normally DIY but I've got too many DIY's going on at the moment and not enough time. My 911 is giving me all sorts of grief on electrical gremlins which I'm investing time in trying to sort (as a Porsche indy is likely to just throw it back to me after 2 hours 'diagnosis' saying 'no fault found'), and I've got some serious home improvement projects kicking off shortly which despite not being me doing the work personally, still takes time out of the day to organise trades etc. TBH, I just want my bike back working, and am prepared to pay for the privilege in this instance. I'll take the bumming like a pro!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I'll take the bumming like a pro!

Sometimes its just the cost of doing business. Yes you can fix it yourself, but equally you have funds and time is more important, so seems perfectly reasonable to pay someone else to just get it done. Might not always be so fortunate in the future to have funds etc, but you are now, so why not pay someone else!

Sometimes, a man just gotta ride his bike and grin. Not lie on his back spannering and swearing.

.........unless it comes in at more than £700. In which case forget the above drivel Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Sometimes, a man just gotta ride his bike and grin.

.........unless it comes in at more than £700. In which case forget the above drivel Laughing

Took the bike into KTM today - really enjoyed the ride down there; forgotten how much of a loon this thing is.

So we'll have a bill tomorrow; my feeling is it'll be a sizeable one.

The dealer really threw me off TBH; I have a deep distrust of dealers in general as they're generally smarmy as hell. The guys there today took really good care of me and were, well, just nice Shocked . I don't know how to feel about that.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

The dealer really threw me off TBH; I have a deep distrust of dealers in general as they're generally smarmy as hell. The guys there today took really good care of me and were, well, just nice Shocked . I don't know how to feel about that.

Ahh, the old Rohypnol in the complementary coffee trick.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just lulling me into false sense of security I reckon.

BTW you'll have a whatsapp incoming shortly - want to organise this year's little trip out if you're up for it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:07 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Just lulling me into false sense of security I reckon.

BTW you'll have a whatsapp incoming shortly - want to organise this year's little trip out if you're up for it.

Yes do it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Yes do it.

Depends whether I can afford it now.

Any more guesses on the final bill before the big reveal?

Quick rundown:
New front Conti Attack.
New rear pads.
Fix oil leak (was that o ring).
Full service including valve clearance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2