Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good house in an ok area, or adequate house in good area?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Thinking

*has not played Sim City and wonders what she is missing out on*

Post-Google edit: oh wait, The Sims, yes of course I have played it yonks ago in its original form, and also other city-building games on Facebook ... but not a snazzy version like Sim City looks like.

I'm talking Amiga era, not whatever bastardized monthly subscription fee or revenue from advertising driven versions are floating around these days.

Populous, Megalomania, Black and White (PC), were all spin offs themed around playing God. I enjoyed them all, not sure what that reveals about me...

Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:45 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the area.

I'd go for the bigger house in the OK area, but we may have totally different ideas of ok....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't guarantee that an area will stay the same, but you can make an educated guess based upon what is likely to be allocated for housing in the next Development Plan. Note that any development of over 10 dwellings will probably have an element of 'affordable housing', but this doesn't mean the tenants will be chavs. Who of the older ones here didn't start out in a rented house?

You need to ask yourself what it is you want from the house - is it somewhere you can swing a cat or somewhere you can't but it looks pretty? As my Mrs always says, make a list of what you need, what you want, what you don't want and then decide...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:19 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Who of the older ones here didn't start out in a rented house?

Thumbs Up

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out the "scallies - have car will travel"

I moved out of the ghetto where I grew up into a "leafier" end of Liverpool an have had issues with tealeaves trying to break in

So just because its a nicer area doesn't mean you cant get scallywags Crying or Very sad

M.C wrote:
I liked going on holiday to North Wales but it's actually a fairly dead and depressing place to live.

Yep totally agree, we had a house in Ffestiniog an can confirm its great for a weekend, but after that the rot creeps an you end up like eeyore from Winnie the pooh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Who of the older ones here didn't start out in a rented house?

Have never rented (or house shared).

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:04 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbours cant be cunts in any area posh or not.

We are currently selling our house (SW16) and looking to move outside of the M25 to somewhere a bit less busy and maybe a nicer house.

i keep telling the wife its no good painting a whole area with the same brush, 30 min's in a car you can go from nice area to shit hole and back again

i do think you can tell a fair bit by going to the nearest shopping centre, ours being Croydon (what a dive).....
We recently visited Maidstone town centre and found it far far better.

one this that was very obvious is the amount of rubbish and shit people just discard on the floor in London.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:31 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to remember is that you're a biker (or I assume you are if you're here) which means you enjoy a fairly uncommon hobby which isnt widely socially acceptable and will result from time to time in trailers, vans, noisy motorcycles, working on your driveway and other things most of us consider 'normal'.

If you go too nice on an area, it will be full of the sort of people who have never opened the bonnet on their car and their reponse is either intriuge, or hatred Rolling Eyes

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
The other thing to remember is that you're a biker (or I assume you are if you're here) which means you enjoy a fairly uncommon hobby which isnt widely socially acceptable and will result from time to time in trailers, vans, noisy motorcycles, working on your driveway and other things most of us consider 'normal'.

If you go too nice on an area, it will be full of the sort of people who have never opened the bonnet on their car and their reponse is either intriuge, or hatred Rolling Eyes

Just to clarify the area comparisons, I drove to chavsille last night just to satiate mon curios on the 'ok' area propertoire, which is just around the corner from a council estate. Within 5 seconds I kid you not, a motocross bike with no lights and rider sans lid trundled past and up the main road. I started the car and drove off, to be overtaken on the outside of a roundabout by a scrote in a Nissan Quazimodo with no lights on. Thanks scrotesville! Made the decision for me there and then.

If I'm paying for the pleasure then I'm going to be the bad neighbour. Yes there will be a car with the bonnet up, it will likely be on ramps at some point too shock horror, women will feint as my pasty white paunch gets exposed and my oil stained hands reach out for a brew, in a mug with a chipped rim.

Bike work will go on round the back though, as it's closer to the kettle. Only gets run there for 5 mins every 6 months to balance the carbs.

Oh and that's before I mention the musical instruments. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it essential car maintenance only you will be doing at said house though, or are we talking projects?

In my experience people don't generally mind someone fixing something however strange it looks to the clean hands non bonnet lifting majority of the UK.

But they don't feel the same love for seeing cars up on axle stands for months or the sound of you breaking out the angle grinder, and they especially don't look positively to seeing engine cranes and engines sat on a pallet in the front garden either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mudcow007/OnslowHouse_zpsqxjdq03q.jpg

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mudcow007/248e705b90921b53e733ec1c40afb434_zps1iczdwzp.jpg

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:27 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

you jest but many the houses down our road are rented out.
you can get 3 families if a house if you pack them in.

the first thing a new tenant does when they move in is tip all the previous tenants shit in on the pavement.

have people no shame ?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
You can't guarantee that an area will stay the same, but you can make an educated guess based upon what is likely to be allocated for housing in the next Development Plan. Note that any development of over 10 dwellings will probably have an element of 'affordable housing', but this doesn't mean the tenants will be chavs. Who of the older ones here didn't start out in a rented house?

We've got some "affordable" housing nearby. Shared ownership. Generally young families who are as much a part of the community as everyone else, and look after the homes they are proud of. Your experience may differ.

To answer the thread, you can change the house but you cannot move the house. If house B has the modification-scope to be able to do everything house A can do after some changes, then go for location. Otherwise, I'd probably look for a house C.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: ended up with best of both; entered a bid on 'posh', got into a bidding war so bailed.

Right decision, as one round the corner got reduced, bid on that and was accepted. Has better views, bigger rooms, bigger driveway and a garage.

Slightly less 'posh' but nobody's going to bat an eyelid if I'm running my compressor or have a project car or bike on the go.

Looking forward to kitting out the garage with racking, and seeing the lathe over on the other thread has got me rubbing my thighs in anticipation.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:21 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for being a homo-ner.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

whens the moving in do?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ lol yeah right. I think the sound of assless leather clad Harley riders revving their engines outside might have me marked out as someone not to be messed with. Hmmm Thinking could you move a sofa on a bike? Tut Tut Hand

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:58 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Location location location.

You can't change an area

Not entirely true. Islington was a shithole in the 80s but they pumped some money into it and now its a very very desirable area. Ditto Hackney, Bethnal Green, Dalston and from what I can gather Tottenham too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Not entirely true. Islington was a shithole in the 80s but they pumped some money into it and now its a very very desirable area. Ditto Hackney, Bethnal Green, Dalston and from what I can gather Tottenham too.

Gentrification is always an interesting one. It has happened in those areas you're absolutely correct, but localised to very small pockets within the wider community. Hackney is, still, by far and large an absolute swamp - and even living in the nice bits, you still have to interact with the crap bits when you want a pint of milk, or to get a tube etc. Sod paying a million quid for a 3 bed terrace and having all that scum on your doorstep.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

All those places have Capital city privilege, always gonna be more demand and investment there, and London
changes really fast compared to most places. Also all were once considered on the outskirts of London but not
seen as that nowadays because London is full. It's not called urban sprawl for nothing.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's not called urban sprawl for nothing.

Walked from our house (SW16) into Croydon on Sunday.
Weather was nice and we like to walk.

its just blocks upon blocks upon blocks of flats...
and they cant build them fast enough.

when will it end ?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

its just blocks upon blocks upon blocks of flats...
and they cant build them fast enough.

when will it end ?

When they run out of Elbonians (trademark Rogerborg) to fill them with, I suspect.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Location location location.

You can't change an area

Eh? Didn't you used to live in Tottenham? They're planning to gentrify the place but it hasn't happened yet. Parts of Hackney are there, I'd still say Dalston and Bethnal Green are shitholes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Walked from our house (SW16) into Croydon on Sunday.
Weather was nice and we like to walk.

You lucky sod!
Aaah can't beat Croydon when it's nice and warm... What's not to love...? This time of year you can bring a
few hot cross buns and marshmallows along and toast them on a nearby blazing mondeo. Thumbs Up

https://legacymedia.localworld.co.uk/275777/Article/images/13093214/3084199.png

Plenty of wildlaff to see on the way Thumbs Up https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/12/article-2025356-0D5B6B1E00000578-869_634x419.jpg

and the countless objects of natural beauty...
https://insidecroydon.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/wellesley-road-traffic-jams.jpg

Going for a walk where I live with it's low crime and friendly people, not to mention valleys, streams, endless
fields & meadows a short walk from my house is a complete bunch of crap in comparison. Laughing Wanna swap?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a not great house in a fantastic area

not great in that it is a circa 1870 terrace, no off street parking, no garage, no easy access to rear of property

but I live in a genuine urban village, loads of little cafes and second hand shops, can't walk more than 50 yards without seeing someone I know by name, I'm right by a park and the river, and from there can get out into the country park. Five minutes jogging and I can see farmland.

could of got a semi 2 miles away with garage and drive way, but there is no real community there

been here nearly 20 years
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4