Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good house in an ok area, or adequate house in good area?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Going for a walk where I live with it's low crime and friendly people, not to mention valleys, streams, endless
fields & meadows a short walk from my house is a complete bunch of crap in comparison. Laughing Wanna swap?

Sure....
the house is on sale here
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58205752.html

We are looking to move to the south east as the MIL lives in Chatham.
The boy wasn't overly impressed and didn't see the point of moving, until we were driving via Maidstone town centre and there was a big demonstration with banners reading "No More Mosques"

that cheered him up somewhat.

While I explained to him that all people are equal, his response was that they don't all have to move to Streatham do they ?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ^

You'd get the same house or more for a quarter of the price up here. Are wages four times higher down south?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Shocked ^

You'd get the same house or more for a quarter of the price up here. Are wages four times higher down south?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
500K for a 3 bed freehold is positively decent for London.

WRT wages it probably depends on field. I think it's more like there are jobs available that just don't really exist elsewhere. If you get one of those you're alright. Ish.

For the same work you might get 1.5-2x. maybe.

But then, house prices aren't really dependent on that. It's about what the top end can afford when the odd person moves out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Shocked ^

Christ I hadn't realised things have got that bad. I was thinking local 3 beds were around 300k but: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63778301.html 400k to live on a council estate Shocked

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rented a holiday home in Eskdale in the Lakes last autumn, with a bunch of mates through "Sallies Cottages" last minute change of plan, and we couldn't have bankside, got a a new one.

That had a for sale sign up.

We looked online, and this detached six bedroom house, with 2 bathrooms and a 3rd loo, drying room, conservatory, massive lounge, garage, outhouse, and about 1/2 and acre garden was for sale for £450,000. Madly cheap.

WE did discuss all buying a share of it, but wasn't really viable.

And, I guess the reason it was cheap, miles from anywhere really, no local shops apart from a couple of tiny corner shops, nearest places to shop were Ambleside or Egremont, and not much work around by the looks of it.

Still, would like to live there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:34 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
400k to live on a council estate Shocked

That HAS to be a totally unrealistic asking price ?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:

the EA wanted to put it up at 499 so that it would appear in searches for up to 500, but in reality is expecting far higher offers.

I understand why they do it.
its a nightmare trying to find anything on rightmove etc.
you search for something up to 300 and the first 20 pages are a waste of time.

so you end up searching for something for 250 knowing they want closer to 300.

everyone is so desperate to get their property noticed that no one can tell the wood from the trees any longer.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm remortgaging and buying an investment property at the moment.

3 years ago when I took my existing mortgage out we struggled to get a valuation of £230k. 3 years on we've had approval at a value of £365k. How's that for house price inflation?

We've been looking at 1 bed flats for some time now. About 18 months ago you'd find a nice flat in a relatively new build block for circa £155k. Now you're looking nearer £200k. Studio flats in older blocks in poorer locations are selling at £155k now instead.

Madness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
M.C wrote:
400k to live on a council estate Shocked

That HAS to be a totally unrealistic asking price ?

The last similar property sold for 270k in 2014 (so with what arry's saying maybe not), but I'm surprised these are even selling, I guess landlords are buying them to rent back to the council Rolling Eyes. It's depressing looking through previous sale prices; 67k in 2000 Shocked

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the ex council places round here are going for about 400k now

ours that we bought for 68k is worth just under 200k according to one of the sites we looked on

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with selling off council housing, particularly in places like London where there's a lack of affordable housing.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't agree with selling off council housing, particularly in places like London where there's a lack of affordable housing.

The joke is the likes of the Maggie arse licker who owns almost 100 of them.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want silly prices guess the price of this toilet conversion. Turned into 2 one bed "houses" . No outside space and people look into your window from the bus stop
https://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/Zippykona/FBBD7318-5949-4892-80BA-CD1A7FE986E7_zps01dchyyd.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

300k? Mr. Green Thanks to grand designs and that amazing spastic bloke every structure or scrap of land comes with a stupid price tag: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19771971

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£299,000 each?

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,each.
Sold quite quickly as well.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hipsters would jump at the chance to live in an old toilet.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in Inner London at the moment is completely bonkers and I can't really make sense of it TBH.

I can understand the posh bits. After a point, what else are you going to spend it on?

But 400K to live in Tottenham? I go there every now and then, it's alright, but realistically it's still fucking Tottenham.

You're spaffing a top 10% income to have a standard of living that could be beaten in a random council estate up North.

Best guess I have is that landlords have figured out that people won't move away from their tube lines until it's literally impossible for them to afford it.

adriansk
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy in the better area, pointless buying a nice house in a shit area.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem driven by overseas investment buyers?
Central London prices are having a knock on effect all across the south east. Thanks to taking back control all UK houses are now 20 % cheaper for foreign buyers.
I feel a very large tax for overseas buyers would help.
No doubt there's a million loop holes but something needs doing.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oligarchs and the like are buying the top London properties and leaving them empty as investments. It's crazy, but you'll make more out of the inflation on a One Hyde Park apartment than you will on rent, so it's best to leave it empty and not let tenants scuff up the skirting. Many of the new posh apartment blocks around Park Lane are, by all accounts, empty. This will have a trickle-down effect on the rest of the property market as bankers and CEOs struggle to scrape together £2m to buy a 3-bed terrace in Fulham or a docklands shoebox. Demand drives prices.

By extension, the rest of us have to take what's left, and that's ex-council places in Tottenham or (as is my case) something a bit (but not much) less ridiculously priced on the poor side of the M25.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:20 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

there building flats at an alarming rate in the area I work (Chelsea Harbour). Its all riverside this and Chelsea Creek that.

the only people who seemed to be around are either middle east or far east and obviously of wealth.

I suspect the term "affordable housing" means "other side of the river" in these parts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
The situation in Inner London at the moment is completely bonkers and I can't really make sense of it TBH.

I can understand the posh bits. After a point, what else are you going to spend it on?

But 400K to live in Tottenham? I go there every now and then, it's alright, but realistically it's still fucking Tottenham.

You're spaffing a top 10% income to have a standard of living that could be beaten in a random council estate up North.

Best guess I have is that landlords have figured out that people won't move away from their tube lines until it's literally impossible for them to afford it.

There are bits of it that almost pass as civilised. The really stupid thing's all the estates are under review, Haringey council want to pull them down, so if you did buy that for 400k it would be a very bad investment. Homeowners on council estates get shafted when they're demolished (like with the Heygate in Southwark).

I don't think luxury flats or brexit (the housing 'crisis' has been going on for years) are to blame, I think it's just a general lack of housing. People are being pushed further out, the only problem's when you're only earning 20ishK there's no point spending 6k a year commuting in. It'll all fall apart spectacularly Praying

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
when you're only earning 20ishK there's no point spending 6k a year commuting in. It'll all fall apart spectacularly Praying

Mine is ~£3400 a year including Z1-6 and ~£2300 without. 35 minute journey time, from just outside the M25.

Previously it wasn't hellish expensive in my area to buy or rent. In 2004/5 I rented a 2 bedroom new build apartment in a nice block with allocated parking and it was £625 a month. Nowadays you'd be looking at nearer £950.

I would still rather live where I live, and commute in, than live in town and pay the extortionate price required to put up with the crap that comes with.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:49 - 24 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal view of London from experience and friends.

More people can't afford to buy or rent on their own = more multi-occupancy housing = more profit for landlords = more demand for houses = higher asking prices = more people that can't afford to buy. Repeat till we run out. I have friends paying over £700pm and in one case £950pm for a double room in a shared house, its fucking nuts!

I was luckyish, I managed to scrape together to get a pokey one bed flat for £305,00 about 7 years ago just before the financial crisis (nice timing :/). Then after 5 years sold it for £395,950 and moved out of London. I have a longer commute but much prefer where I am now.

When we moved out we had the same thoughts regarding nice house shit area or do-er-up-er niceish area and went for the latter. 2 years later a house 2 doors down a bit smaller than ours has sold for £25% more than we paid for ours. Result. I have been in the new place for 2 years now, I miss being nearer to some of my friends and random nights out on the piss are a thing of the past but they kinda were anyway with the arrival of kids Smile. I have managed to do up about 1/2 of the house as I want it. I wish could have afforded a house with a better finish but at no point have I thought I wish I lived in that nice house in the suspect area.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4